• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

what 'traditions' are you breaking?!

hawalkden

Reaction score
Just wondering what you won't be doing e.g. wearing something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue etc..

and what will you be doing that is not traditional?

For me we're having a joint double Christening and then our wedding service after our two children have Christened. So not doing the traditional stopping at my parents the night before. Husband to be will see me but my dress will be in the church ready to put on after the Christening.

I'll be doing a speech too a mini one mainly the christening/godparents thank you but I'll put a bit about the wedding in.

wedding favours are going to be retro sweet bags and given on the church pues! Not at the wedding venue.

Gosh I'll be breaking a lot, I'm not big on traditions.

First of all we're already legally married so we'll be having a humanist ceremony with a friend being the officiant. Bit of a tradition break there :haha:

I'm toying with the idea of having an outdoor winter wedding sat around campfires. If not people will be sat on the floor, some on chairs, some in boats...

I'm not having a bridal party, nor being given away. Keeping it very simple.

Not having a champagne reception or receiving line or anything like that. We're starting the meal with speeches and cutting the cake instead of ending it with that.

Not gonna be staying in another room the night before, also I'll see him on the day as we'll be setting the rooms up together. Oh and my OH has seen my dress already!

I'm sure there are more!

I think we're doing most traditional things, the only thing I can think of that we are not doing is the receiving line!

I'm thinking about having a song without words since my DB won't hear them very well at all. I might skip out on the receiving line. Also a regular buffet and a dessert buffet, might do that as well.

All of them. In our culture anyway. We're both Russian, so there's an expectation of a huge wedding that lasts multiple days, tons of parties, the bride ransom, the bread and salt, all of that.

We're eloping to Vegas and have told a grand total of one person what we're planning. And, that's cool, although it may be interesting when someone eventually figures it out and does the traditional Russian thing: Tell EVERYONE.

VetaNova; that's so exciting!!!!! congratulations!! :cloud9:

I can't think of too many things we're breaking tbh; I'm just doing things my way, tradition or no traditions ;) xx

VetaNova; that's so exciting!!!!! congratulations!! :cloud9:

It's exciting, although mostly in all the wrong ways. Like the fact that I met my future FIL today. Totally unexpectedly. In court (SO is not the best driver out there.)

As far as the wedding goes... I'm much more interested in being a wife/ mother than a bride. If SO would let me, I'd prefer to have the wedding in the living room or at the beach 5 minutes away and go to the steakhouse down the street for dinner afterward. No traveling, no planning, no nonsense and we can put a down payment on a Kawasaki sport bike with what we save on travel.

If I pitched that to him the right way, I can probably get him excited about it.

Uh...we're probably breaking everything.

We're having a lunch time backyard wedding with a celebrant, no bridal party and no first dance. More like a bbq really! I'm not wearing a veil and I'm getting a 50s style dress and red shoes. I think we're gonna go with a gelato cake, too and I'm thinking we might go with no alcohol as I don't drink, but on the fence about that one. Also on the fence about being given away. I don't really care but I'm sure my dad would like it. :)

I do care about DF seeing me right before the wedding as I want my final look to be a surprise, but I don't care if he knows what the dress etc looks like before.

Uh...we're probably breaking everything.

We're having a lunch time backyard wedding with a celebrant, no bridal party and no first dance. More like a bbq really! I'm not wearing a veil and I'm getting a 50s style dress and red shoes. I think we're gonna go with a gelato cake, too and I'm thinking we might go with no alcohol as I don't drink, but on the fence about that one. Also on the fence about being given away. I don't really care but I'm sure my dad would like it. :)

I do care about DF seeing me right before the wedding as I want my final look to be a surprise, but I don't care if he knows what the dress etc looks like before.

Wow, Angiepie, that sounds absolutely AWESOME!

The new thing out here (U.S.A - or at least in California lol), is that the bride and groom do pictures right before the ceremony. Just the two of them. And then after the ceremony, its pictures with the bridal party/groomsmen, parents, family, etc.

I don't know about that. It might make sense if its close to sunset so you don't lose too much light but... I don't know! I always had it in my head that the first time he sees me, it will be when my dad brings me around to the isle and make my way to him. Maybe to save time if light is an issue, we can all do the funny bridal party pictures and then the groomsmen can do theirs before. And then do the bride/groom ones after the ceremony. :shrug:

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is non-traditional or not. But I'm either going to go with ice blue heels or hot pink heels. :D

We're not getting married in a church, we're not doing the receiving line, my dress isn't white, I'm having like 20 thousand bridesmaids haha
the cake will be chocolate, not fruit.

ermmmm . . . I'm not sure, I'm not one for tradition though, we're doing it how we want to do it!

I'm having 2 cakes, and neither will be fruit :rofl: Hello Ameeann, nice to see a fellow Cumbrian :D xx

Not having a fruit cake...bottom layer is sponge and next layer is chocolate
We're not having the sit down meal/wedding breakfast. Getting married at 4pm so just flowing straight into evening do with a hot buffet.

I was about to say I wonder if anyone follows every tradition these days but thinking about it our best man did last year, lol.

OH came dress shopping with me
I'm having an upbeat jokey song down the aisle
Noone's giving me away
My sis is singing instead of having a reading
OH is changing his surname to mine
No receiving line
Our boss is giving a speech
We're not having fruitcake
Again, an upbeat song for 1st dance
And if me and OH disappear in the day it won't be for couples time, it will be so he can help me out of my dress to breastfeed :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->