What will your baby's grandparents be called?

littlemamana

Mommy to Colin
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has a plan about what the new grandparent's will be called when baby is here?

I don't know what my dad wants to be called yet but my mom wants to be called "Gigi".... I HATE THAT. She doesn't want to be called "grandma" or "nana" because she thinks they would make her sound old so she wanted to come up with something younger sounding... but Gigi? That's just awful plus it'll be hard for the baby to say until he/she is older. (Also, I have a dog named Ginny and sometimes I'll call her Gigi so yeah :haha:)

Ehhhhhh, my mom wanted to be called gigi, I absolutly hated it. I'm still not a huge fan of the name she chosed but much better than gigi.
She calles herself gammie or grammie forgot which way lol
My dad I have no idea what he will be called.

My parents live in the German speaking part of Switzerland and my first language is German so my parents will be Omi and Opa. My OH's mother is Greek Cypriot so she will be Yia-yia :)

i call my grandparents mom-mom and pop-pop and I've decided to let my parents decide what they want to be called. Cause I'd prefer not to be called mama once my baby can say mommy

I'm trying to get my mom to like "Mumsy" because I think it's cute and doesn't sound old.

my parents will be granny and granda, my husbands will be mami (hate this but its wat his nephews and my son call her) and hapy ( his nephew made this 1 up and just stuck) or papy! xx

My mam and dad will be Nanna and Grandad (they are already that to my sister's kids), and DH's mum will be granny (which I HATE), as that's what her other grandchildren call her.

Some of my cousins called my own grandmother "Granny" and I always found it really weird (we all called her Nanna, and she always signed cards etc as Nanna!!). My other grandmother was Nana (with 1 n!!). Both grandfathers were called Grandad (one I didn't know).

Ehhhhhh, my mom wanted to be called gigi, I absolutly hated it. I'm still not a huge fan of the name she chosed but much better than gigi.
She calles herself gammie or grammie forgot which way lol
My dad I have no idea what he will be called.

I actually told my mom that "Gigi" sounds like a stripper name :haha:. Didn't sway her though! She still wants to be called that. Blah.

Where does this Gigi idea come from? For me it is forever associated with the film musical where Leslie Caron plays the title role when she was very young. Nothing at all granny like.

Where does this Gigi idea come from? For me it is forever associated with the film musical where Leslie Caron plays the title role when she was very young. Nothing at all granny like.

I have absolutely no clue! I guess it's just double G's to stand for grandma without being direct. I dunno where she came up with it. She gets all offended when I suggest other names though. She's like, "this is my choice!" :shrug:

I totally understand why you aren't enchanted with it :S :hugs:

My dad will be grandad as that what my two DS call him and I do not have my mum.

As for DH he no longer has his father and as for the MIL it with either be the old witch or old dragon - as you can tell there is no love lost with her, but she doesnt see them so makes no odds x

I was just wondering if anyone has a plan about what the new grandparent's will be called when baby is here?

I don't know what my dad wants to be called yet but my mom wants to be called "Gigi".... I HATE THAT. She doesn't want to be called "grandma" or "nana" because she thinks they would make her sound old so she wanted to come up with something younger sounding... but Gigi? That's just awful plus it'll be hard for the baby to say until he/she is older. (Also, I have a dog named Ginny and sometimes I'll call her Gigi so yeah :haha:)

HAHA - you should TOTALLY train your kid to call your mom "Granny" LOLOL. :happydance:

The marvelous thing about your kids is - they are YOURS and they are around you more often than your parents - so you can pretty much instill in them whatever name YOU want them to call your parents.

My husband's dad tried FOREVER for our daughter to call him "PAPA" for some odd reason. I thought it was weird but whatever - I didn't really care. But we always referred to him at home as "Grandpa" (uh because that's what he is heh) so that's what she calls him. Funny part is - when she was little it came out sounding like "CRAPPA" which we thought was brilliant so we started calling him "CRAPPA" as well and to this day we all still call him "CRAPPA". Because we are mean and horrible people - yes.

My husband and I were joking around that we should have our children call my dad "Grand Pappy", but then we shortened it down to "G-Paps".

We told my dad, and needless to say, he wasn't amused. :haha:

I love G-Paps - that is even better (more annoying) than CRAPPA. Maybe we can still change haha.

My parents will most likely be referred to as "Granny" and "Granddad" because that is what we all called our grandparents. As far as OHs parents... he can figure that out lol, I don't know what he called his grandparents as a child.

am I the only one who hates the "it'll make me sound old" line?? wise up ffs! poppy has a grandma and a grandad on one side and a granny and granda p on the other :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->