• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

What will your baby's grandparents be called?

My parents will be Grammie Betty and Grampie Kim and my OH's will be Grammie Leona and Grampie Ben. Just easier than LO trying to figure out which GP we're referring to...

my parents grandma and grandad and partners are nana or nanny (which i dont really like - but have to respect what she wants i guess) and grandad.

Sometimes your parents will want to be called a certain name and the child comes up with one all on their own. My daughter named my parents Grammy and Papa they were just going to go by Grandma and Grandpa. So you never know Gigi my never fly and your baby will come up with something all their own.

Umm my OH mom wants to be called Nana and his dad with be Papa. My mom & dad with me grandma and grandpa or whatever the baby prefers they said there not picky

my husbands parents possible be called - Grandpa and nan
my parents possible grandpa and manya (but she's not certain)

Oh, my sister's kids have started calling my dad "Grandy". They're funny little kids! Actually both of them could say "Grandad" before they could say much else. For the eldest (who is 6 now), his first word was grandad. He also decided last year that when he stays with my mam and dad that he will call them mammy and daddy, because "they are the mammy and daddy in their house". TOO CUTE!!

haha---Gigi does sort of sound striper-ish!

My stepmom is still looking as she too doesn't want to sound "old." I didn't say anything, but WANTED to say...umm you're 60. Stop worrying about sounding old please!

We've decided to let them choose what they want to be called (fortunately I know that neither my mum nor DH's will choose Gigi!). OH's mum is likely to be Nana Mary as that's what happens in their family, my mum's not decided yet.

Don't know about OH's dad but my Mum's husband is going to be tricky. I lost my dad in January and Mum has just remarried. I guess we have to let him choose too but I want to be careful that my child learns about their real grandad. I don't know that I'm comfortable with Mum's husband being known as Grandad though. I know he's technically my stepdad but as I'm 32 I don't need a stepdad!

What DH's Grandad will be called I don't know either! He's just turned 94 and is partially blind so we're hoping that he'll be able to see his great grandchild :thumbup:

He also decided last year that when he stays with my mam and dad that he will call them mammy and daddy, because "they are the mammy and daddy in their house". TOO CUTE!!

Oh Gosh that is so adorable. :flower:

My little boy calls my mum Nanya and my dad Grandad and he calls my DH's mum Gramsy and his dad Grampa

He also decided last year that when he stays with my mam and dad that he will call them mammy and daddy, because "they are the mammy and daddy in their house". TOO CUTE!!

Oh Gosh that is so adorable. :flower:

Oh that is just the start of how cute that little boy is (he's my godson, I may be a little biased!). He really got to grips with how family relationships work in the last year or so, started asking my add things like "is Nanna your wife?", "Are you married to Nanna?", "You're my mommy's daddy, aren't you?". Previously he used to be very unhappy about sharing his grandad with anybody. He was his grandad, how could he be anyone else's daddy???

HALLELUJAH! Tonight at dinner, I said, "Mom, we really need to talk about this 'Gigi' thing..." and she rolled her eyes at me (because I keep bugging her about it) and finally said, "Fine. Mimi then." I was so excited to hear this! Mimi is MUCH better than Gigi hahaha.

My husband's dad tried FOREVER for our daughter to call him "PAPA" for some odd reason. I thought it was weird but whatever - I didn't really care. But we always referred to him at home as "Grandpa" (uh because that's what he is heh) so that's what she calls him. Funny part is - when she was little it came out sounding like "CRAPPA" which we thought was brilliant so we started calling him "CRAPPA" as well and to this day we all still call him "CRAPPA". Because we are mean and horrible people - yes.

Stop making me laugh, I have belly cramps as it is! This totally cracked me up.

We called our grandparents grandma and grandpa - before we conceived I asked my mom what she'd want to be called and she said she wanted to be called by her first name - total age denial!

My fiance's dad died when he was a teenager and he doesn't care much for his step-dad (he tolerates him, shall we say) and he really doesn't want our child to call him grandpa so we need to think of a delicate way out of that one.

I've already got plenty of nieces and nephews. Some of which just call my parents by their names, but we'll be going with Granny Annie (for my mum - Ann, which she loves) and Poppy Brian. DH's parents will be just Grandma and Pop

Ugh, I hate this whole name thing.

My mom wants to be "Grandma" because that's what all the grandma's in my family have been called.

My dad doesn't want to be a Grandpa, and so we won't be calling him anything (which is fine because he isn't a part of our lives. I only speak to him to exchange life-changing information like births, deaths and marriages).

My FIL is "Papa <First Name>" to everyone from our nephew to the neighbor kids.

But my MIL... DEAR LORD. When our nephew was born she insisted he call her "Gammie". When he was 4 he asked her, "Why don't you want me to call you a real name?" LOL. I totally agree, something about "Gammie" totally gets under my skin and I cringe every time I hear it. I really wish she'd let our LO call her something else... anything else. Maybe someday I'll get used to it.

We'll use the same as for my stepson, minus one set of grandparents (he has loads!) so my OHs are Grampa/nana and bumpa/nanna and mine are grandma and grumpy (dad chose his as he didn't want the same as another grandparent and wouldn't have what I called mine) lol.

My parents have moved to Cyprus so they'll be called yia-yia & papou! My OH parents will be nana & grandad x

on my side i don;t see my mum or know my dad but on my OH's his dad is Gramps and his mum is MaMar, which i hate! but my OH granny is still alive and very much a huge part in all the kids life so it gets confusing for them so there great gran is grany and there actual gran is MaMar :( i can't really do anything about it as our LO will be her 5th grandchild and all the others call her it so she will just follow them even i f i try to change it.

We've decided to let them choose what they want to be called (fortunately I know that neither my mum nor DH's will choose Gigi!). OH's mum is likely to be Nana Mary as that's what happens in their family, my mum's not decided yet.

Don't know about OH's dad but my Mum's husband is going to be tricky. I lost my dad in January and Mum has just remarried. I guess we have to let him choose too but I want to be careful that my child learns about their real grandad. I don't know that I'm comfortable with Mum's husband being known as Grandad though. I know he's technically my stepdad but as I'm 32 I don't need a stepdad!

What DH's Grandad will be called I don't know either! He's just turned 94 and is partially blind so we're hoping that he'll be able to see his great grandchild :thumbup:

My nieces and nephew call their grandma's new husband 'uncle X' for the same reason as wanting them to know who their actual grandpa is.

My Mum will be Nanna. Dad hasn't decided yet - he just knows he doesn't want to be Grandad and doesn't like Gramps (reckons it sounds like grumps!)

OH's Mum and Dad I assume will be Nanny and Grandad, though we've not actually discussed it. I know that neither Mum wants to be Grandma.

My Nan (the only grandparent I have left :( ) will be Gran because she's already Gran to my cousin's two children. She's always been Nanny to my generation (Nan now we're older) and Gran is an amalgamation of Great Nan and Nan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"