what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liz1985

Reaction score
OHs grandma has given me £100 each for dd and ds for christmas. She has specifically said she wants me to buy presents, its not to go in their savings. She regularly gives us money for their savings and this is seperate. I really dont want to buy any more presents. I literally cant even think of anything to buy dd anyway, ive struggled to even get things from me and OH. I could think of things to get ds but don't really want to buy him anything else as he has loads already and last year he got bored and stopped opening things half way through. Do you think i should buy things anyway as thats what she wants, or do you think it would be ok to save the money to buy them things later in the year and tell her some of the things we've already bought are from her? I feel bad doing that though.

Would she be OK with you buying clothes for them and maybe a small toy? It's a lot of money for toys just from one person and I imagine it'll be overwhelming for them. Or ask if you save it until mid year since both their birthdays are so close to Christmas too.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable lying about it although I'd be tempted!

What about using it for days out and experiences? Would she consider that as presents? I'd personally spend it on days out to the aquarium, zoo, museums, soft play centres, steam train rides etc. I don't see the point in buying presents just for the sake of it especially if you've got lots already.

What about a contribution to a day out to cbeebies land? (if you're close by) Then the rest use in the January sales and let your DS choose something to buy with the money? Unsure about DD as she's too young to pick.

I was going to suggest days out, or swimming lessons, or hanging on to the money till mid way in the year when there may be new toys they'd appreciate?

I'd use the money for some of the gifts you already have for the kids (so make those from her) and put the money aside to get gifts from you later in the year (or put in their savings, whatever), if you don't mind giving only a few gifts to your LO's from you.

Would she be OK with you buying clothes for them and maybe a small toy? It's a lot of money for toys just from one person and I imagine it'll be overwhelming for them. Or ask if you save it until mid year since both their birthdays are so close to Christmas too.

I did think about clothes as dd needs some ready in the next size. However i don't think she'd be happy with that. She see's clothes as a nesesity not a treat and if I tell her I'm buying clothes, she'll probably give me more money to buy them clothes so i can buy them presents with the original money. I think my only options are to buy more toys or lie about buying more toys and secretly buy clothes or toys later in the year. I suppose i could try and buy one big toy each so i have spent the money on a present but it's only one extra for them to open.

If she's specifically wanting them to have toys with it I'd personally take £100 from the presents you've got them and they can be from her. Then like others have said you can get them money for savings or experience days from the £100 you've saved on presents.

I don't see that as lying at all, the presents would be off her so that's what she wanted :flower:

Maybe buy something you know they will like when they're older. Like a dolls house and bike? Just don't tell her they won't get much use ATM lol.

Thanks for the ideas. Id not thought about day's out etc. I've been wanting to get ds an annual pass to our llocal wildlife park and he really wants to go to thomas land. Not sure about dd as everything is free for her anyway but im sure i can think of something. Will buy the passes from us (and maybe clothes for dd but from us) and let OHs grandma give some of the gifts we'd already bought. They are too young to really understand who they are from anyway. Thanks!!! Feel better now, really didn't want to lie to her.

I did think about clothes as dd needs some ready in the next size. However i don't think she'd be happy with that. She see's clothes as a nesesity not a treat and if I tell her I'm buying clothes, she'll probably give me more money to buy them clothes so i can buy them presents with the original money. I think my only options are to buy more toys or lie about buying more toys and secretly buy clothes or toys later in the year. I suppose i could try and buy one big toy each so i have spent the money on a present but it's only one extra for them to open.

In that case I'd do as the others suggested. Make some of the presents you've already bought off her and use the money for days out/clothes for dd :)

My mom always sends money and I just buy what I think the kids will like and divide it up between her, us, and Santa.

As already suggested, I would choose some of the toys you have bought or are planning to buy, and say that those are the toys from her. (Maybe not the full £100 though....If you've got a few bargains!)

I'd either use the money to buy day out passes to somewhere they'd enjoy, or as others have suggested, put aside $100 of the gifts you already bought to be from her and that'll give you back that $100 to use as you see fit for other needed things.

I agree with the others give some of the gifts you have already from her and save the money she gave you for other items you may need.

swimming lessons or baby sensory classes or similar? All things they might enjoy but can be pricey.
Apart from that im unsure as id probably struggle to find another £100 of gifts.

We always get money from MIL and my dad for the kids for Christmas and they tell us to buy something for the kids from them.

They usually do this on Christmas week, when we've bought tons of presents already. So we just label some of them from MIL and my dad.

Then we use the actual cash to go towards Christmas dinner.

Works out in everyone's favour.

You could talk to her and say if it's ok with her you'd like to keep the money till later in the year and buy maybe a swing set for the garden or a playhouse something like that or as other suggest a trip away somewhere xx

I'd re-label some of the toys you already have and buy them some garden Toys Later . The kids are never going to know. But you'll have done as asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"