What would you do?

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
This transaction didn't happen on BNB but I was hoping to get some opinions.

About 2wks ago I listed a bunch of my Goodmama diapers for sale on another forum. I took group pictures because there were a lot of diapers. There was a group of diapers without stains and then 2 pics of ones with stains of various degrees. I went through each diaper and explained to the best of my ability, what I was able to see in my lighting. I also stated that if anyone wanted individual pics of the diapers they were interested in just to let me know and I'd be happy to take them, and I did for some buyers as soon as they asked.

One of them was a bug print, I stated it had faint staining on the soaker and listed it for $16 including shipping. The stain on it was very small anyway. But the lady that bought it wrote me saying "I don't care about staining at all. How soft is it" so we talked about that and she said she wanted it. She paid then she decided she also wanted a Mutt diaper I had listed, she asked me to come down in price to combine shipping. I ended up selling it to her for $7, after PP fees I got $6.50 for this diaper which was in excellent condition. I shipped them out which cost me about $4 in actual shipping and about $1 for the envelope. I really screwed myself going so low, I barely made anything off a diaper that was originally $35 and $18, I gave her the mutt.

So she gets it today and says she's happy with the mutt but that the GM has some very faint staining on the outer that looks like it's from being worn coverless. Now we did use them coverless a lot so it IS possible but I honestly didn't see it. But she also clearly said she didn't care about staining and didn't request more pics that if the staining is there it very well may have shown because usually the camera picks up staining even better than looking at it. She now wants me to refund her the $16 for the GM and she'll ship it back....I don't know if she's going to ask for return shipping too but if so that's even more money out of my pocket. I will have PAID her to take my Mutt diaper I could have easily sold to someone else for $10.

I really don't know what i should do. I don't feel like I misrepresented the diaper, she could have asked for more details on the staining, asked for more pics, she didn't do that. But at the same time I don't want to ruin my reputation I've worked hard to build there either, I've never had someone unhappy with a purchase from me.

So am I reading this right, you said it had slight staining. She says it has faint staining- so basically the same level of staining as you declared at the outset- and wants a refund?

If that is correct, then I'd be annoyed too.

Is the site like an ebay thing where you get feedback? I don't use ebay because I've heard too much about problems where sellers have to give in to customers in order to keep a good rating, but if the site you're selling on is like ebay with the feedback you might have to do something just so you can keep buying/ selling. It would really, REALLY stick in my throat doing it but I suppose it'll be worth it money-wise in the long run.

Well I said there was faint staining on the soaker she says there is some very faint staining on the outer part of the diaper, like where the print is. BUT I did say in my listing that "these diapers have various degrees of staining and I will try my best to describe but if you want more details or up close pictures of any of these please just let me know and I'll be happy to take them" she didn't want them though.

This is diaper swappers, so a forum for buying/selling diapers and we do have feedback :( That's the only reason I want to give her the refund but then I'm seriously paying her to keep my other diaper and I'm out money really needed for my newborn stash :( Really sucks

If it's a site where your feedback really matters (like ebay where you can't give negative feedback back, or if you can't respond to give your side of the story), then I would tell her that seeing as you only sold the two nappies for that price because they were together, you will refund her what she paid plus return postage to you for BOTH nappies. If she wants to keep the other nappy, tell her that she'll have to pay full price for it as if she bought it on its own, and you'll refund her the rest of the cost for the stained nappy plus return postage. That is what a shop would do if you bought something on a multibuy/link buy - you can't, for example, return two books you bought on a 3for2 offer and keep the free one, or return one book at full price on a Buy 1 get one 1/2 price offer. That sounds perfectly reasonable for me - she can't return one item and expect to keep the discount on the other.

If it's a site where your feedback doesn't matter so much and/or you can reply to her comments, I'd just tell her to like it or lump it, you were perfectly reasonable and fair.

I know it is hard (impossible) to quantify "faint stain" etc but it does sound like she hasn't got what she expected, unless you said "most of these nappies have some small marks on them" or something to that effect. If you individually listed the stains it would suggest that those ones you listed were the only stains.

I know it is hard to convey the whole conversation around the nappies without copying every single message onto here.

Not that it really matters, but what is HER feedback like?

If it's a site where your feedback really matters (like ebay where you can't give negative feedback back, or if you can't respond to give your side of the story), then I would tell her that seeing as you only sold the two nappies for that price because they were together, you will refund her what she paid plus return postage to you for BOTH nappies. If she wants to keep the other nappy, tell her that she'll have to pay full price for it as if she bought it on its own, and you'll refund her the rest of the cost for the stained nappy plus return postage. That is what a shop would do if you bought something on a multibuy/link buy - you can't, for example, return two books you bought on a 3for2 offer and keep the free one, or return one book at full price on a Buy 1 get one 1/2 price offer. That sounds perfectly reasonable for me - she can't return one item and expect to keep the discount on the other.

If it's a site where your feedback doesn't matter so much and/or you can reply to her comments, I'd just tell her to like it or lump it, you were perfectly reasonable and fair.

I definitely agree that if you do decide to refund the disputed nappy then she surrenders her discount on the other nappy, was gonna say this too. (Cost to you $8 ? for 2 x postage but you can re-sell and recoup maybe $6 of that?)

Her feedback is good, she has about 20 things, almost all from the last month so she's pretty new.

I really don't want her unhappy with it, I do feel bad if I missed the staining. But at the same time I don't want to be paying her to take my other diaper :( At this point refunding her the price minus what the individual price for that other diaper would have been I'm still going to be out. I wonder if she'll take just a partial refund and keep the diaper? Maybe take $2 off for the staining. Still sucks to be out but it's not nearly as bad as refunding her fully.

I have asked her if she can try and get pics of the staining because I can't see it in my pics and I didn't notice it in person but she hasn't gotten back to me yet

IF YOU DO HAVE TO REFUND then if she would accept a partial refund then I'd go for that because when you do the numbers it works out the best. For you to pay $4 to send the thing, then another $4 to get it sent back, then $4 to send it somewhere else when it sells again that only leaves you with $4 minus pp fees for the nappy.

Do you think you did just miss the stain when listing them? Easily done with so many.

That would be my guess, I don't think she's lying about it, but I really didn't notice it. I do think she's exaggerating by saying there is faint staining over half of the outside of the diaper, I surely would have noticed if half of the diaper was discolored but there might have been a small area that I really didn't notice. This is the picture that I took

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs065.snc6/167587_492973481266_515016266_6159233_770660_n.jpg

It's the bottom left one with bugs on it. I don't see any discoloration on it but I also don't know if it's on the back? She hasn't specified yet. But it's not an up close pic that's why I asked her if she could capture the staining in pics for me to see

On here the pic shows up bigger than on DS, maybe slightly in the middle of the front it's discolored??? IDK I can't tell for sure? It looks like it might be but also could be the lighting on that pic since I'm not sure where on the diaper it's supposed to be

So she finally got back to me about taking pics and said that her good camera was broken but that she'd try with her other camera in daylight tomorrow. Also said she didn't know if it would show because it was just dingy. Well the diaper was USED! The outer was white with bugs, no it's not going to be bright white. Ugh I offered her $2 off the diaper so really on those 2 diapers I will have made $16 total, but oh well. I hope she takes that instead of wanting a full refund.

I would just have her ship it back and refund her the money. yes you are out more $$ but just let it go...
OH and DO NOT sell to her again( block her if you can) , it sounds like she changed her mind and is trying to be a wee bit of a pain.
You said that there might be staining, and she is now complaining about it, so I wouldnt let her do this to you again...

Yeah I def won't sell to her again after all this

Certainly can't see any marks on the front of the nappy.

It sounds like she is now backtracking a bit. First it was a "faint stain" now it's "dingy." To me, those are two different things. I would expect money off for a stain but I would expect a white nappy to be grey-ish/ yellow-ish as that's just the way they go.

How important is the feedback? And any update yet?

Well she got me pics and you can kinda see but really I don't think it's THAT bad. She wants $4 back or to send it back for a refund, I don't want to be bothered having to relist it and ship it yet again, that will pay the $4 I would have to pay her, it's just not worth it. But here are the pics

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/yodasmistress/2011-01-30_13-40-11_396.jpg

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/yodasmistress/2011-01-30_13-41-23_561.jpg

I can see it but that is certainly not half the diaper and it's so light. When you buy a USED diaper that is white knit on the outside...not PUL I would expect the possibility of some discoloration but since I missed it I don't mind doing a bit off but she says it's only worth $9 with shipping....not the case.

I can see a mark in the second pic, but it is very light. I think $4 off is excessive, that's 1/3 of the price off? (No idea what that brand is worth but am assuming you listed it at normal second hand price.)

How much would it cost you to get the two nappies back and re-sell?

I understand what you mean about the hassle of it all. The time you'd spend re-doing the whole sale is probably worth more than the principle of it.

Honestly if I got them back since we now know it's a boy I wouldn't even bother reselling. But if I wanted both back shipping would be $4 but not sure who would be responsible, she would if she wanted to return the GM but if I requested she just return both I'm not sure if I would then have to take over shipping cost? But if so that would be $4+$23...if she did I'd just have to refund her her full $23 and I've already paid $4 once to ship it out.

I had this listed as $16ppd and she grabbed it up right away, I had 2 more people contact me after it sold to her wanting it within like an hour of it being listed. I wish I hadn't sold to her. This diaper retailed for $35 plus shipping and it's an old print, they are very very popular diapers and older prints even more so. I think I had it priced fair, had I noticed the staining I probably would have still listed it for $15ppd but of course disclosed it, I just didn't notice, I certainly wouldn't have taken $4 off the asking price though, and def not listed it for $9ppd like she seems to think it's worth. It's OBV inside and still quite soft and the stain that's on the inside is very small and very faint so I think she's being ridiculous wanting so much. I'm going to give the mod I've been talking to until noon my time so a little over 2hrs, if she doesn't get back I'm just going to refund the $4 and be done with it, but I better not get anything less than positive feedback since it was a mistake and I've gone above and beyond what I really SHOULD do to make her happy

that's so annoying. sounds like she just wants a cheap deal out of it. I agree it's best to go along with it and just refund the $4, at least then she can't leave negative feedback

A similar thing happened to me on ebay. I sold a huge bundle of tiny baby clothes (40+ items) for £6! I listed them as as new most had been worn 2-3 timesaving and some were brand new. The guy that bought them said they were bobbley and old so requested a refund or he'd give me bad feedback! I couldn't be bothered with all the hassel as they were in really good condition. In the end I asked for his paypal and refunded him that way and I didn't even offer to cover the p&p so in the end he was out of pocket for being an idiot!

Hope things works out: )

things like this really annoy me too when things are listed as used n buyers still expect things to be like new i think its a bit cheeky u have admitted your mistake n the diaper would still of been worth what she paid its not like its unusable ive recieved nappies with slight marks on tbh it dosent really bother me the first time lo wears it she poops in it anyway :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->