What's your honest opinion on people on benefits?

I think benefits should be there for those that physically cannot work or those in transition (ie lost job, looking for new one). I think though that to solve the benefit problem, the govt. needs to take a holistic approach. The people on benefit by choice tend to be people who come from families with issues and have never had the incentive to follow their dreams. The govt. needs to work with this generation and ensure children are cared for in a way that fosters their own ambitions and desires.

honestly? I don't like them at all, job seekers back home is based on your previous employment, they get a set percentage of their old wage for around 1 year, When we moved to this country we had a lot of problems and my dad lost his job so my mum was working 7 days a week to make sure we could afford to survive and then my dad had to wait for his documents to be transferred and then he had to do a course to transfer his skills alongside English classes and two jobs on the side, I think anyone thats not disabled/on maternity leave should only get them for a short period of time and then anything extra should be a crisis loan, people should take responsibility for their own families , the government is there to provide schools, hospitals etc and if the weren't spending 86billion on benefits a year the budget wouldn't be so stretched everywhere else. sorry if it offends anyone but this is what I think

Its fab that this thread hasn't turned into an argument :thumbup:

I think it completely depends on the situation.

I know it would cost a lot and take a lot of time but I think every single person who is on benefits should have to have a interview and explain why they are on benefits, what health issues they have and to have a check up by a dr to make sure they can't work. In the long run it will save money because I'm sure a lot of people could be taken off benefits.

I think every person on job seekers should be sent for interviews for jobs, if they don't turn up for so many, then take them off benefits. A lot of us don't enjoy ours jobs, we have to do them thought because we need money.

I don't see a problem with one parent being on benefits while they bring their kids up. The kids are our next generation and we need them.
Although, I want to be a mum more than anything but if we couldn't financially support ourselves and children, I would stop ttc until we were money safe.

I really can't stand my job at times but I would never quit and expect everyone else to pay for me while I job searched. I'd get myself a new job first.
xx

I may get bashed for this, but I'll share the situation I'm currently in.

Neither hubby or I are on benefits, and never have been. Also won't be receiving any while on Maternity leave.

I've got one full year of school left, which I'm DYING to finish so that I can provide better for my kids. However, it's going to be near impossible to work full time, raise three kids, and go to school. And unfortunately my income is still needed at this point. Soo.... I'm contemplating "slipping up" at work so that I'm let go and can collect unemployment. It sounds terrible... but it would allow me to finish school and be home for the first year of my new baby's life. So I don't know... I guess that's an example of someone cheating the system, which I've always had something to say about, but now I'm finding myself doing it.

My Dad worked from age 15 to age 59 when my Mum was diagnosed out the blue with terminal cancer. She died 8 months later. During this time Dad left his job to become Mum's carer as she wanted to be at home as long as possible.

When she died he had a nervous breakdown. For 6 months he got Incapacity Benefit but then was told he was no longer eligible as he was 'fit for work' despite his own GP agreeing this was nonsense. He was also ineligible for Job Seekers as he had left his previous job.

I get sick and tired of reading about people who have never worked or who choose not to work and live on benefits. The Welfare State was created to support those most vulnerable people in society and those who hit unexpected hardship. However my experience of the benefits system was that someone who really needed support was kicked to the kerb while fit and able folk continued to claim benefits despite being more than able to work. Benefits were never suppoed to be a lifestyle choice.

Out of interest, what do people think of this idea for welfare?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

a system like that though would encourage people to not look for work, so I don't agree with it but it is an interesting theory :flower:

a system like that though would encourage people to not look for work, so I don't agree with it but it is an interesting theory :flower:

That does seem to be the criticism of it but I wonder if most people would really want to live off the bare minimum. Most people do like extra pleasures in life beyond bare substinance so I imagine people would look for at least part time work which would then free up jobs to allow for more people to be employed. I think things would be much better if more people worked, but fewer hours. Much less strain on themselves, on the healthcare system, on their children, on society in general.

If people were just living on bare minimum though I think the depression rates would go through the roof. Thus costing more on the NHS system I guess?! Depression can heighten anxiety too.

Since OH has lost his job and we've been living off JSA my anti-depressants have been doubled. We struggle so much and I really hate it.

:hugs: I hope you or your OH find a job soon. It really is a struggle :(

I think that it could also be easier to find work in this system as people won't be desperate for jobs so employers would have to give more incentives to prospective employees.
These are just my initial thoughts, haven't looked into it in depth though.

personally I think it should be there for people who actually need it not for the likes of my 37 yr old cousin who hasnt had a job in her life has 2 kids both at school & has no excuse not to go out & work but can afford an xbox, a wii, an iphone 4 a laptop & interent :crazy:
also for a 'friend who is pregnant with her 3rd, hasnt worked a day in her life, has a hubby who only works 16 hrs a week so they can still claim all their benefits & again has all the things we can only just afford with DH & I both working. These are the people that piss me right off x
For people like these there is no incentive to go out & work, because by the sounds of things they can afford all the things that someone who works can!!! How is that fair!!

Haven't read through all the posts sorry ladies but this is just my opinion :flower:

In all honesty it's the system that is to blame, people can only abuse a system that's open to abuse.

If working really did 'pay' like the Govt. spout about, far fewer people would feel that getting a job wasn't worth it because of the ludicrous lack of financial incentive.

I drew benefits as a single mum before OH and I moved in together, I worked before having my eldest. Having been left alone with no support whatsoever there was no way in the world I could hold down a job after my ex left. The jobcentre did their calculations and in work I'd have been £5 per week better off :wacko: which would have been more than cancelled out by bus fares to work. PLUS - this is the mental part - My wee family unit would have cost the Govt. MORE in tax credits with me in work than the benefits I was getting out of work. If it's about saving taxpayers' money, that is indeed a stupid situation.

I was able to start my degree in that time on my own, and will hopefully graduate next year. In a shit job I would have cost the taxpayer more, and also not been in such a position to study and better myself.

Benefit claimants are not all scum. Some are, some aren't. Some people with jobs are, some aren't.

:flower:

Well you asked for honesty...

I grew up the child of a single mum on benefits. We sometimes went without food and electricity... but she ALWAYS had booze, cigarettes and weed. I was bullied because I went to school in dirty, holey, old and unfashionable clothes.

I lived on a typical council estate and back then (I left 10 yrs ago and it was like this then but may have changed now) it was FULL of other mothers, like my mum. They all had LOTS of children with different men. They all had smelly (I was too), dirty, untidy children... but always managed to have weed and drink etc too.

I would frequently hear conversations where a mother would realise her older child is nearing an age 16 (when benefits normally stop) and they would look to get pregnant again, even when not in a relationship, so that they would keep their benefits when the first child left etc. I'm sure lots were loved, but lots did seem to be concieved to keep the mother in booze and fags.

My close friend was even advised by her own mum to "just get pregnant and get yourself a council house".

As a result of my experience and upbringing... I have a rather negative view of those on benefits. I always try not to judge and I think those that are situations like the OP and need benefits, are quite right in claiming them... but when it comes to those that aren;t trying to work, that just claim benefits because they are marginally better off that way... yes I do have an opinion and it isn't great. But I think it would be impossible to have been brought up in the environment I was, and to have seen the things I have seen, without having a negative view xx

I grew up the child of a single mum on benefits. We sometimes went without food and electricity... but she ALWAYS had booze, cigarettes and weed. I was bullied because I went to school in dirty, holey, old and unfashionable clothes.

I lived on a typical council estate and back then (I left 10 yrs ago and it was like this then but may have changed now) it was FULL of other mothers, like my mum. They all had LOTS of children with different men. They all had smelly (I was too), dirty, untidy children... but always managed to have weed and drink etc too.

I would frequently hear conversations where a mother would realise her older child is nearing an age 16 (when benefits normally stop) and they would look to get pregnant again, even when not in a relationship, so that they would keep their benefits when the first child left etc. I'm sure lots were loved, but lots did seem to be concieved to keep the mother in booze and fags.

My close friend was even advised by her own mum to "just get pregnant and get yourself a council house".

As a result of my experience and upbringing... I have a rather negative view of those on benefits. I always try not to judge and I think those that are situations like the OP and need benefits, are quite right in claiming them... but when it comes to those that aren;t trying to work, that just claim benefits because they are marginally better off that way... yes I do have an opinion and it isn't great. But I think it would be impossible to have been brought up in the environment I was, and to have seen the things I have seen, without having a negative view xx

i lived on a estate like this! we were the odd ones out because we were clean and we all had the same dad and my mum was actualy married to him...none of the other women believed that my mum only had kids with 1 man.
one woman even had a baby by her pimp! the parents were always drunk in the streets n arguing and the children were vile.

so no it doesnt give u a very good view of benifits especialy the way ur mother treated u :(

:hugs: I don't know what to say after reading that :nope: I can't believe you went through something like that, its a great thing that you've risen above it and are giving your son all that you missed out on growing up :hugs:

^ Yes these estates and people you ladies describe there sound vile, but I maintain that they are stereotypes and not representative of everyone who has claimed benefits. Those people are abusing the system and the fact that they can do that is the fault of the system and those who design and implement it as well as those who see it as an easy ride. It's people like those you describe that give a bad name to all people on benefits which is really unfair to those who don't use it as a lifestyle choice but as its meant to be, help for need. There are equally horrible people who, for instance, scab off various spouses or whatever but not the state.

:flower:

Haven't read through all the posts sorry ladies but this is just my opinion :flower:

In all honesty it's the system that is to blame, people can only abuse a system that's open to abuse.

If working really did 'pay' like the Govt. spout about, far fewer people would feel that getting a job wasn't worth it because of the ludicrous lack of financial incentive.

:

But any tightening of the system is very unpopular and gets trashed in the press and the problem seems to never get better

I think we need to accept it isn't a bottomless pit anymore.

If you can work then you should - I also believe in education and training and that is totally an acceptable aproach as it will mean you are more likely to be employed at the end of it - it is sad that lots will be squeezed out of higher education due to fees etc at a time when we need to be skilling up as a nation - the world is changing - economically and politically and without skills the nation will suffer - surely education is worth the investment over and above benefits that can be given without end - at the end of the course the individual is more valuable and more likely to put into society....

Well done with your degree by the way - alongside a LO it must be tough

hx

Depends on the benefits - if they have to be on them (lost job, working but on a low income, stay at home parent abandoned by the partner who was working needing emergency help, disabled child needing help etc..) then thats fine, its why we have a benefits system. Long term unemployed not interested in getting a job and thinking the world owes them a favour is not ok, not everyone on benefits can be put in the same box!

People who abuse the benefit system annoy me.

I'm going to be claiming a single parent's allowance for the next few months, while (hopefully) I gain experience as an intern to get into the industry I want a career in. I'm literally just using the allowance to get back on my feet, but I felt so embarrassed and ashamed when I had to go to the social welfare office to claim.

It's people abusing the system who give everyone else a bad name, iykwim - the system was designed to help people like me who need a bit of a dig out for a little while, and who have paid tax in the past (and will in the future) - but actually using it feels like something I shouldn't be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->