• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When are you buying your baby items? and prepping the nursery?

OwlBump

Hubby, Son and Bump
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I'm 18weeks pregnant with my first baby and i'm totally itching to buy lots of bits for baby but we want to know the gender first. Hopefully finding out on 17th Jan :D but i really don't want to kit out too early. We are painting the baby room in Feb/March

I have an idea already of what i'd like to buy and the sales are looking so tempting but i'm holding off for now.

When is everyone buying or getting their baby things? :)

it depends what things your wanting to and needing to buy?
Have you got people that will sell or even pass you down stuff? i was given a cot (although i may need to buy a different one), my mum bought me pram and moses basket early on, i bought a tomee tipee starter kit, again early on, i guess with some things it doesnt matter, like bottles, steriliser etc. buy when you want, i havent bought any clothes at all, people have given me clothes, and to be honest i dont think im going to need to buy many clothes you can always buy plain vests and baby grows now, even buy unisex things, that way it wont matter if baby is girl or a boy, always remember they may not be able to tell you sex, so if they cant u will need to by plain, natural and unisex items anyway..
its your choice when you buy things, do so when you feel ready..
as for decorating the room, when are you due? im not too sure if there is a certain time before your due you have to paint, due to the toxins in the paint, although im sure these have changed now and paints are now safer, im also sure aslong as baby is not in the room and the door is closed and window open you can paint whenever, im going to look more into this because i thought about this.. theres no point painting a room months before im due if baby wont be in there till hes about 5-6 month old anyway, maybe longer depending on the circumstances.. again this is totally up to you and you do things when you feel ready, no doubt u will be nesting a few months before due date so even if you paint before then during nesting you may hate it and what to do it again lol!!

I'll pop a pack or 2 or newborn sposies in with my monthly shop around 36 weeks.... and thats me sorted this time.

I've just been getting a few bits here and there as and when I have some spare money. This is our second baby so we haven't got a nursery to decorate but we do have to re-decorate the spare room and move DD into it asap so that's what most of our money is going on at the moment!

Once that's done its all just little bits and pieces left to buy.

My advice would be if there's stuff you need and its in the sales at the minute, get it! You could end up kicking yourself later on if its back up to full price! :flower:

At 16 weeks I bought a car seat/stroller and the pack n play all in neutral. I was cute and we have a limited selection where I am at. I also at 15 weeks bought neutral clothes (Socks, onsies, hat, scatch free mittens, and some growns). Luckily I did as they told me a girl for two months and now they are saying boy (I wont believe it until I see a penis) they only showed what they thought was testicles as another doctor still thinks its a girl. So I sent everything girl back. And went neutral. So my advise look into return policy if you buy to early. I know its so tempting to buy things, I bought everything and was prepared at 23 weeks.

Well I have already started buying cloth nappies as they are my addiction! Haha!

I have loads of stuff for my daughter so we don't need anything apart from a few outfits.

When i was pregnant with Isabella I bought one outfit at 12 weeks as a celebration kinda thing.. Then we held off untill 20ish weeks and went crazy!

:)

Oh our spare room will be the nursery as my daughter is settled in the room where she is. We plan on painting it plain as we are team yellow so ill probably paint it in a month or so.. However I hadn't thought about toxins in paint.. I painted the whole house with help last time and I was 28 weeks x

Oh our spare room will be the nursery as my daughter is settled in the room where she is. We plan on painting it plain as we are team yellow so ill probably paint it in a month or so.. However I hadn't thought about toxins in paint.. I painted the whole house with help last time and I was 28 weeks x

i could be wrong, this is just what i read on google, and i know not everything on google can be trusted, im going to mention to my MW when i see her next, see what she thinks, i think you can paint anytime while pregnant, as far as i knew that doesnt harm baby, but i know you shouldnt paint say your living room if your new born baby is going to be in there all day (not saying you didnt know that, was just a example) but i think if you paint the nursery and baby isnt going to be in there for a week or so, as long as the room is insulated you should be okay, but as i sadi, i could be wrong, just going by what ive read x

Thanks for your input ladies :) I'm Due 4th June and were planning to paint the end of Feb or march time, I hadn't thought about the paint fumes to be honest but now i think about it were painting with plenty of time to spare.

We have to buy pretty much everything apart from clothes as this is our first baby but friends and family have said they are going to help pay towards things by getting a joint gift card for Kiddicare or BabiesRUs which will be nice then we can go and choose the pieces we like and avoid getting doubles or something awkward like that haha. We have been given a cot which was nice but its being held at my father-in-laws for now, We need to assemble it though to check its all ok :)

We have a bundle of neutral newborn to 6months off my cousins and if we have a lil' girl they've got a lot of other bits for us (She had twin girls last year)

I think it must be all the talk of babies on the TV at the moment, all the sales etc i feel like i'm missing out almost like they won't have anything if i dont get it now but i know thats just my crazy pregnancy brain :D

I'm looking around for a list of essentials to see if i'm forgetting anything

I'm 18 weeks too and we've bought a few little things hehe but we'll be waiting till after the scan like you, also my friend had a baby a few months ago and has loads she wants to give us so we'll see what comes from her before we buy too much. We'll be moving into our new home next week, can't wait to set it up for baby :')

There are a lot of paints that are much 'friendlier' than those in the past but when decorating DS room I still used a paint/mist mask to be safe. As for not needing to do the nursery till later as baby won't be in there for 5-6 months, looking back there is no way neither myself nor OH would have had the energy to do it afterwards so although it seems daft I would get it all done before!

I hardly bought any clothes for the first 6 months and didn't buy anything till after my 20 week scan. I tended to use lots of white vests etc as they didn't show underneath outer clothes/outfits!!

Thanks for your input ladies :) I'm Due 4th June and were planning to paint the end of Feb or march time, I hadn't thought about the paint fumes to be honest but now i think about it were painting with plenty of time to spare.

We have to buy pretty much everything apart from clothes as this is our first baby but friends and family have said they are going to help pay towards things by getting a joint gift card for Kiddicare or BabiesRUs which will be nice then we can go and choose the pieces we like and avoid getting doubles or something awkward like that haha. We have been given a cot which was nice but its being held at my father-in-laws for now, We need to assemble it though to check its all ok :)

We have a bundle of neutral newborn to 6months off my cousins and if we have a lil' girl they've got a lot of other bits for us (She had twin girls last year)

I think it must be all the talk of babies on the TV at the moment, all the sales etc i feel like i'm missing out almost like they won't have anything if i dont get it now but i know thats just my crazy pregnancy brain :D

I'm looking around for a list of essentials to see if i'm forgetting anything

i posted a thread asking what i will need, and listed the things i do have, i got some good replies although everyone is different, some people say changing tables are good others say they arent, if your planning on BF think about wether you will need a steriliser, i got one, and since then decided i will BF, thought i wouldnt need it but then ive now realised id need to either express or turn to formula once i return to work, so then i would need a steriliser but not for long, i bought one and was also given one.
luckily i have alot of friends who have just had babies, family who still have baby items i need to go through all the clothes i have and work out what ive got in what sizes and decide wether i need to buy more. its just so tempting to buy the cute Mickey Mouse outfits in the cutest size you see LOL

I am a designer and we painted the nursery years ago in neutrals (oatmeal with white wainscoting). As I don't believe in doing pink or blue on walls for boy/girl. I think accessorizing with blankets, bedding, pillows and removable wall stickies is the way to go. That way as they grow you can change things up accessorizing inexpensively without having to repaint all the time.
I just got back from a gf's house who just had a baby and she has her change pad on the bathroom counter and gently cleans baby under the tap instead of using loads of disposable wet wipes. I want to buy as little as possible is I think I'll do this too, using a pail for the cloth diapers in the washroom next to the washer/dryer...easy.

Will be collecting cloth nappies, they're SO cute!

I have been compliling my bigger things for over a year. I got my cot for free in November 2012! My nursery is almost finished and I am 27 weeks.

I have a full stash of newborn and one size cloth diapers. I have made fabric wipes. I need to finish with sheets and curtain tie backs but need my cutting table back from DH.

Hi ladies I am still very early aatjust coming up on 6 weeks. Once I know what I am having I can figure out what I already have and pick up what I still need as I go along. As for setting everythug uo I have to wait till the very end as we are moving like 5 weeks before I am due and then I wanna get my older 2 rooms painted and we can start settting up then :)

I just saw a tv show where a consultant just said one of the biggest mistakes new parents make is to not have blackout blinds. She went on to say that babies need really dark rooms to sleep in otherwise they won't sleep properly and you'll have a chronically crying, unhappy baby.
We were going to have a nightlight in the baby's room but I might just put it in the hallway to seep in instead.

We're going to start with the big things after the 12 week scan.. everything can be quite expensive so we'll be spacing it out :) If we see gender neutral clothing, we'll probably buy that from 12 weeks too.

I've had baby stuff for about a year before we got pregnant. :blush:

But putting the nursery together? I want to start shopping for furniture around week 20 and have it totally completely done by 30-32 weeks. lol I have no reason to think the baby could come early, but hey, anything can happen! :winkwink:

My friend totally thought she'd go to full term and had only bought a car seat and a few pieces of clothes. She had the baby at 37 weeks and when they brought the baby home they had almost nothing. The baby slept in a swing that was bought for them at their baby shower. So the baby was in the car seat for awhile until her DH built the swing. They still had to wash ALL the clothes and blankets. LOL I want to avoid that scenario at all costs.

Probably March-April. I'll be between 31-39 weeks but honestly we don't have the room right now to have it sitting around and we are trying to save up money like crazy. It's super annoying though, my car seat and stroller have gone on sale multiple times and I don't have the $400 right now. :haha:

With my first I picked up a pack of vests or baby grows in white every weekly shop at tesco til I had 6 in each size up to 18 months.
I started this at about 10 weeks. I also picked up a pack of nappies in different sizes each time too.
This really helped me out as you don't always get given anything practical.
And you can never have enough vests and baby grows in the first few months!
I picked up a pack of breastpads and mat pads when I wasn't getting nappies, although I'm going washable on these this time.
I was not totally organised though and left a few things til the last minute.
I've got to have a clear out and re arrange in our bedroom when dh has a week off and then I'll start sorting what I have and what I need xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->