When can I have a (very small) drink?

Not good idea! I know they some tiny amounts are ok but I rather not risk my baby!

Glass of wine a week is fine but when I drink I like to drink! So im not having any. My mum was an alcholoic when she was pregnant with me and she ended up having a placental abruption and I was starved of oxygen to my brain. Im not disabled but im deffinetly not normal. I suffer with sociql anxiety and have concentration issues and a bunch of other stuff so goes to.show alcohol is baaaaad

A small amount may not satisfy some people, but it will satisfy me.

There is no risk. I am not risking my baby. I would appreciate it if people refrain from implying I would be.

Thank you.

I would wait untill the second tri, i vaguely remember reading about it being safer then. x

With my DS I had a half glass of wine with Sunday dinner each week once I hit 30 weeks or so. Some wine with a full meal won't hurt. I'd say to wait til atleast 2nd tri though. :thumbup:

Mmmmm now I could go for some :wine:. I sure do miss it! Maybe I'll sneak a taste at thanksgiving. :shhh:

No offense, Honestly, what would a small taste accomplish anyway. If I have a craving, a small taste won't satisfy me.its not even worth it. You're just gonna want more and more
I'm not sure one = lots for all of us :winkwink: Personally I am holding off until 2nd trimester as a minimum, and it will probably be a small glass with a special meal at most (got Christmas and OH's 40th birthday coming up)

I've seen an article (https://www.livescience.com/17971-drinking-pregnancy-worst-trimester.html) explaining that even small amounts in 1st trimester can be harmful.

I bet everyone 100 years ago drink while pregnant. Its not that bad in moderation

I've never had anything in any of my pregnancies apart from my third one and right from the word go I was craving red wine insanely. I remember buying a miniature bottle and a bag of vegetable Kettle crisps around week 24 and feeling like I was indulging myself silly lol. I personally wouldn't drink any alcohol in the first or third trimesters.

There is no risk. I am not risking my baby. I would appreciate it if people refrain from implying I would be.

Thank you.

I had a small amount of white wine a couple nights ago to avoid needing to make an excuse for the third night in a row as to why I wouldn't have a drink with my mom.

As you said, there's no risk to having a couple sips of beer or wine. I mean, alcohol is naturally occurring, and there are small amounts of alcohol in juice. Doctors don't tell you no juice, do they? Of course not, because having such a tiny amount is negligible.

If you are having a couple sips of a friend's beer or something, I think you're fine to do that whenever. If you want to have more than that, I would personally wait until 2nd trimester. :flower:

No offense, Honestly, what would a small taste accomplish anyway. If I have a craving, a small taste won't satisfy me.its not even worth it. You're just gonna want more and more
I'm not sure one = lots for all of us :winkwink: Personally I am holding off until 2nd trimester as a minimum, and it will probably be a small glass with a special meal at most (got Christmas and OH's 40th birthday coming up)

I've seen an article (https://www.livescience.com/17971-drinking-pregnancy-worst-trimester.html) explaining that even small amounts in 1st trimester can be harmful.

The article isn't talking about small amounts in isolation though, it's talking about daily drinking of one or more full alcoholic beverages. It says towards the end that there is little to no correlation between occasional drinking and negative outcomes.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true, my best friend craves... dont laugh 'plaster' as in wall plaster/sand. Her mouth waters at the thought of it. She has had 4 babies and it has happened every time. She has indulged once or twice (this makes me laugh so much ha) by just putting a small bit of sand on her tongue . It doesn't make her want to go and eat a full wall ha.

Anyway my point it, I don't think to give into a craving eg. to have a taste, is going to be a big deal and it might make you feel a little better. Even if it doesnt satify a craving, worth a shot, not done any harm :)

Thank you.

here here,

how strange is it that people turn your craving into a possible addiction. It was nothing to do with the question.

Threads like this often receive mixed reviews. There are women who have had miscarriages, who have been Lttc (not sayin a drink is their issue) , who have problems with their pregnancy and wouldn't risk it . So expect to get a lot of sensitive replies to this post. I'm not judging, to each thir own. Just wanted to give my input since its a public forum
Good luck

Thank you.

here here,

how strange is it that people turn your craving into a possible addiction. It was nothing to do with the question.

But understand when you come to a public forum, you are going to read opinions from lots of women, some of whom may know someone or have had bad experiences themselves with drinking while pregnant. So it might be touching a nerve for some. We all want you and your baby to be happy and healthy. :)

Personally, I do not think a small taste every now and then will do any harm, so have at it lol. For me, I choose not to drink during this pregnancy, but I am not a big drinker anyway... anymore :haha:

I craved house brick my last pregnancy. My dad caught me.trying to bight his house it was that bad

I think it's completely a personal preference if someone chooses to drink when pregnant. I was drinking wine nearly every day before I conceived...and even after I had and was unaware of it for that matter.

Since I got my BFP though, I haven't had a sip and I won't until I can pump enough milk on the side so enjoy my glass of wine. I am sure after the 2nd trimester a taste won't hurt. However, you never know the results sometimes until years down the road.

My friend (who is now in her 50's) told me that she had the occasional glass of wine when she was pregnant with both of her daughters and they turned out fine. They both have dyslexia though which I am guessing could have been caused by the alcohol.

At the end of the day I ask myself, "what do you want more...this healthy perfect baby, or a glass of wine." I can hold out for 9 months.

I think it's like someone else touched on, there are women who will loose babies, women who have lost babies, women who are bleeding, women who are worried about screening indicating downs or other potential problems, women who have stride for years to get pregnant. Many of these women, especially one who have lost babies will be extra careful, not take any risks, not even of the risk if small or no existent. These ladies find it hard when others as they see it out their baby in any risk.

I have no idea the risks of a small amount of alcohol, but I never drank before hand so I wasn't going to start during pregnancy. I've never been tasted it, so I have no idea what a craving to alcohol would be like, I would probably avoid at all costs, because we know there is a risk we just don't know how much causes that, we do know that it's more than a sip though.

We are all hormonal and going though fears and worries, don't feel bad for your choices, but equally try to understand others. What you many see as no risk at all, others see as a risk, even though I'm sure many would agree the small quantities being discussed are not harmful, however unless you a lost a baby you will not understand how much we mothers look for reasons that caused it.

For example, I lost a baby at 12 weeks, it died on my birthday ( we have a home Doppler so I know the exact day and even time frame it died) anyway, I was taking vit b 6 for sickness, there is no risk of miscarriage form taking it but it's the only thing I have to blame, so I do. I know in my head that it did not cause it, but my heart still Blames me.

I hope my post makes sense. Please don't think people are having a go or being nasty, it's just we are all over sensitive and many of us are terrified, plus this week this forum has had a lot or bad news which makes it more sensitive.

You are the mothers. Do your research, but don't let others make you feel bad. We are all doing our best.

I think it's completely a personal preference if someone chooses to drink when pregnant. I was drinking wine nearly every day before I conceived...and even after I had and was unaware of it for that matter.

Since I got my BFP though, I haven't had a sip and I won't until I can pump enough milk on the side so enjoy my glass of wine. I am sure after the 2nd trimester a taste won't hurt. However, you never know the results sometimes until years down the road.

My friend (who is now in her 50's) told me that she had the occasional glass of wine when she was pregnant with both of her daughters and they turned out fine. They both have dyslexia though which I am guessing could have been caused by the alcohol.

At the end of the day I ask myself, "what do you want more...this healthy perfect baby, or a glass of wine." I can hold out for 9 months.

But then there's people like my step-mother who was what I'd call preg-zilla and obsessed over everything during her pregnancy, read all the books, ate organic, all sorts of stuff--and we recently discovered that my little brother has dyslexia too and some learning disabilities. IMO, no matter what you do, nature takes its course and things will happen whether or not you followed the books to a T.

I'm slightly dyslexic but it's insanely common, so to consider alcohol is to blame for this is silly.

It's kind of like saying "I got cancer because I used my cellphone next to a working microwave more than once." Gimme a break. Everything gives you cancer these days, just like everything is a faux-pas during pregnancy. People need to stop over-analysing and just live their lives however they see fit, pregnant or not.

But then there's people like my step-mother who was what I'd call preg-zilla and obsessed over everything during her pregnancy, read all the books, ate organic, all sorts of stuff--and we recently discovered that my little brother has dyslexia too and some learning disabilities. IMO, no matter what you do, nature takes its course and things will happen whether or not you followed the books to a T.

I'm slightly dyslexic but it's insanely common, so to consider alcohol is to blame for this is silly.

It's kind of like saying "I got cancer because I used my cellphone next to a working microwave more than once." Gimme a break. Everything gives you cancer these days, just like everything is a faux-pas during pregnancy. People need to stop over-analysing and just live their lives however they see fit, pregnant or not.

I agree, I have never drank or smoked, I took prenatals more months before my pregnancies and during (except this as it was a surprise), Was super cautious with what I ate and did, I 100% did everything by the book. Yet my eldest is suspected autistic and ADHD. I did nothing wrong during my pregnancy and the signs were there from birth before someone shots vaccines are me.

I'll add despite his issues he is still a healthy perfect baby, and so are many with issues like downs etc, please do not jump to the conclusion of one our children are less than perfect and two that we did something to cause it.

However I do understand what you mean and no I wouldn't risk it.

I agree, I have never drank or smoked, I took prenatals more months before my pregnancies and during (except this as it was a surprise), Was super cautious with what I ate and did, I 100% did everything by the book. Yet my eldest is suspected autistic and ADHD. I did nothing wrong during my pregnancy and the signs were there from birth before someone shots vaccines are me.

I'll add despite his issues he is still a healthy perfect baby, and so are many with issues like downs etc, please do not jump to the conclusion of one our children are less than perfect and two that we did something to cause it.

However I do understand what you mean and no I wouldn't risk it.

When I said "healthy perfect baby", it was to be meant "healthy and perfect in our own eyes". No one is 'perfect', and I am sorry if what I said offended you. I don't mean to imply that anyone with a learning disability is 'less than perfect'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->