When did you/intend to stop co-sleeping

Lucy_lu_84

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I co-sleep for part of the night, basically when Lo wakes up he comes in with me. Have done this since he was a few weeks old as i was BF and it made life so much easier. No longer BF but we are still doing it. I really enjoying co-sleeping and love waking up to his smiling face and we get more sleep that way. He's such a bad sleeper.

Although most nights my DH ends up on the sofa as there just isn't comfortably room for all 3 of (for a little person joshua takes up alot of room) So I'm thinking it might be time to make the transition to sleeping in his own room or will he out grown it himself?

Think he wakes up out of habit and the only way he settles is coming into bed with us, he doesn't have a bottle or anything!

So yeah when did you or will u stop co-sleeping and how did u cope?

With Casen we coslept til he stopped nursing at 11mo, then we just moved him to his crib in his room, it really wasn't an issue, he did fine with it. We just followed the same routine except we put him in there, he slept through (for the first time) from the firs tnight :)

With Hayden we moved him from our bed to a toddler bed in our room at 12mo, he was still nursing in the night then. He would come in our bed when he woke up to nurse and stay there the rest of the night. Finally at 15mo he started sleeping through so at 16mo we moved his toddler bed to his own room. He did fine for a couple months then ever since then has come to our room halfway through the night, he's 29mo. Seriously in the past 6-9mo he has slept the entire night in his own room 2 times...one was a couple days ago when he was sick. But we don't mind him coming in our room, me and Mark will sometimes lay there wondering why he isn't in there yet lol, we all sleep better. So I don't know when we'll put an end to it, we'll probably just let him go til he stops on his own.

zane stopped wanting me to hug him in bed at 5 months then at 6 months (oh was away) hed sleep at the other side of the bed to me, i loved it but with oh coming home i decided to put him in his own cot. he was still in my room and would sometimes cry for his bottle or a dummy but other times hed sleep thru i loved it.

then oh came home n messed it all up, zanes only just started to sleep thru the night due to having a bottle of juice in his bed.

id say try joshua in his cot right next to ur bed so he can still see u and then just rub his face or something when he wakes so he gets used to that before u put him in his own room.

altho zane was in my room till 9 months, if i had my own way hed still be in my room haha

I just moved my son to his own room at 10.5 months, we were moving house so I thought it would be a good time. He was waking up several times a night to feed and after being in his own room for 2 weeks he is only waking up once most nights to feed, so it has been worth it in that sense. My son was fine from the first night, he didnt seem bothered about being in his own room at all although he did wake up alot at night at first. My OH is happy about being back in his bed and not on the sofa, so although I enjoyed co-sleeping I think it has been a good time to stop.

If I had room for his cot in our room I would do it!
he goes down fine in his own room and I think i could get him to stay in his own room, it's jsut the thought of having that battle in the night to make him sleep
gues a few nights would be all it would take though and DH could come back to bed!

Maybe I might try it towards the end of next week, get him sorted before I go back to work! Although I LOVE having him in my bed lol

I'm happy to co-sleep until I see signs that Alice wants to stop- whenever that may be! I wouldn't be surprised if we end up having 4 of us in the bed. So far, all of us sleep better with her sharing with us, so I don't see any reason to stop.

I'm happy to co-sleep until I see signs that Alice wants to stop- whenever that may be! I wouldn't be surprised if we end up having 4 of us in the bed. So far, all of us sleep better with her sharing with us, so I don't see any reason to stop.

We are exactly the same, I'll watch LOs signals and see when he wants his own space. I can't see him stopping night feeds any time soon, and I think we'll co-sleep for a long time yet.

if its effecting u n ur oh sharing a bed then something needs to be done now. u cant try for another with joshua in ur bed lol.

one of my ohs mates has a 6 yr old and hes still going into there bed so he has to sleep in the spare room while their son is in bed with the mum. i thought it was terrible.

im glad zane grew out of wanting to be with me unless very ill. also last night he walked in my room at 3.30am n wouldnt go back to bed...i felt like goin out n buyin a lock for the outside of his door today lol

I'm not sure yet :lol: whenever she's ready I guess! Be it when she's 5 months or 15 years :rofl: either that or when I get sick of being booted in the back :)

haha i thought that...no baby making with Joshua in our bed!
Thing is I think we both love him being with us a bit to much, Oh would come to bed we'd make room, but he doesn't finish work till 2am and by then we're both sprawled and he doens't wanna disturb us so sleeps down stairs!

Although Lo doesn't snore as loud as his daddy ;)
dilema lol

It's tricky isn't it? I love co-sleeping and it's working really well for us right now, but i do wonder if we might need to stop before i go back to work in the summer as i am planning to go back on nights and i'm not sure how either me or OH would feel about him co-sleeping alone with Toby (as in, OH is a heavier sleeper, goes to bed later, moves around in his sleep a lot more etc).

Thinking of stopping co sleeping makes me sad though, and like you say, you get so used to being able to just snuggle up and sleep and not having to worry about settling them down in their crib, that the idea of actually having to leave the bed during the night and potentially do the whole rocking/swaying/soothing/ssshhhhing/etc makes you just think "erm...not today thanks!" :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->