when did you start to potty train?

Dauntless3x

Reaction score
hey all, i was wondering when is the best time to potty train or to get them familiar with the potty? my daughter was 3 when she was fully toilet trained , i did started around 2 with her. my son is 18 months and i would like to start early with him as i heard boys are harder to train, he knows how t sit on the potty and he can pull his nappy down but how do i actually start it off?
thank you

I introduced the potty around 14 months and he would use it once a day after breakfast or before his bath. Since 17 months he has been using the potty and toilet all through the day, he still wears a nappy all day but I barely have to change it so I'm saving nappy money but it's time consuming to bring him so often.
I think in a few months I will start putting him in training pants or get a waterproof cover.
I think this is a good age because they are very eager to learn and love the satisfaction of doing something new, we don't do any rewards or treats we just say "yay you went potty!" And he starts clapping 😊

My daughter is 17 months and we introduced the potty a few weeks ago. TBH she doesn't like sitting on it much so we are just trying to get her used to sitting on it just now, she's getting a lot better already. We sit her on it in her nappy a few times a day whilst doing something like reading a book or singing a song. Before she goes in the shower she sits on the big toilet with the top part of her potty (it's a 3 in 1 style one) and then we bring her out and she sits in the potty without her nappy while we blow dry her hair. She's yet to pee in it yet but she's still really young so I don't expect her to yet. She also likes to stand inside it so clearly she's too young to understand haha.

thank you mummy's thats great i was worrying if he is still young, he does have pampers pants which he likes to pull down and i like to let him run around free. i noticed he likes to copy his sister she is 4 so im trying to get kairi to show him how to use it like sitting down, i noticed he likes to learn and explore new things so i agree best time to do it :)

I tried my oldest son at about 21 months but he didn't get it at all. Both my sons were trained at 2.5 in the end.

I recently read "diaper free before 3" and it had some pretty good tips even though it's aimed at starting by 9 months!

Only just preparing to start now, as she is showing an interest and has started going into private places to poop. She's 2 years 8 months. There's no rush for us - always figured it would be easier and quicker with her actually on board rather than being pushed into something she didn't have a desire to do. Despite my dad and other idiots acting like it will the end of my life if I end up with two children in nappies ... not really sure what difference it will make to my life? My 2 year old goes through about three nappies a day ... goodness me!!! :O

Sorry, this post seems to have turned into a rant. :dohh:

my daughter was 27 months and it only took 3 days. she was able to communicate well so understood what what happening and what I was telling her so made it easier. She was totally out of nappies day and night in 3 days and so far have had no regressions and she's 3 years and 5 months old now. my son is 18 months and I've had loads of people telling me to start now as boys take a long time to train, but I think I'll wait til he's 27/28 mon the and see if it works again. Meep, it's madness what people tell you. How do people with twins in nappies cope? or worse, triplets? haha. Not the end of the world having 2 in nappies. If anything, it helps when new baby comes along. Takes away the jealousy a little as your toddler still has a little thing they need you for xxx

Thank you, I totally agree! People are just ridiculous. :growlmad:

my daughter was 27 months and it only took 3 days. she was able to communicate well so understood what what happening and what I was telling her so made it easier. She was totally out of nappies day and night in 3 days and so far have had no regressions and she's 3 years and 5 months old now. my son is 18 months and I've had loads of people telling me to start now as boys take a long time to train, but I think I'll wait til he's 27/28 mon the and see if it works again. Meep, it's madness what people tell you. How do people with twins in nappies cope? or worse, triplets? haha. Not the end of the world having 2 in nappies. If anything, it helps when new baby comes along. Takes away the jealousy a little as your toddler still has a little thing they need you for xxx

I was exactly the same. Mine were all 27 months (dd2 was 28) despite being physically capable for quite a while before hand. I would much rather wait and have it done in a matter of days, with pretty much no stress, than have a younger toddler 'Potty trained' yet still having accidents left right and centre, wearing pullups, and needing prompting constantly.

My dd3 has still only ever had one accident on the first day, and was out of nighttime nappies straight away too.

DS1 was 27 months (had a week off work so thought would try, no pressure if didn't work was going to leave till next week off over Christmas but he got it)
DS2 was 31 months, was planning on giving potty training a good try over the summer holidays but he decided himself one morning that was it and told me he didn't want his nappy so that was easy!!

Both were dry within the week although night time took longer

27 months-ish for both. Dd1 took a week or two and dd2 is doing amazingly after starting on Monday. She's been wanting to start for ages and we've had a potty around but I was reluctant as I didn't want her to regress when her sister arrived. We've started properly this week and she's doing really well and so excited to use the potty as she's been mentally ready for a while. She was able to hold herself in soft play today long enough to get down from the equipment, get me and go into the loo- fingers crossed!

I'm a fan of intense and quick personally. We did offer the potty whenever she got dressed and undressed (so first thing in the morning and before bath at night) from maybe 2 years 4 months. I don't really consider that potty training though as she was still in nappies 100% of the time. We potty trained at 2 years 7 months. It took 4 days and she was back off to nursery full trained on day 5. She did still have some accidents but I would say they were rare after about 2 weeks. I think if it's dragging on and not clicking but you're really focused on it, then it might be too soon. We got a potty when she asked to use one and we didn't potty train til she said she wanted to wear pants and not nappies anymore, so she was really keen. I would wait til he's expressing interest and then just do it. I wouldn't want it just dragging on for a year and a half.

30 months old & he didn't have accidents, even on day 1.

I didn't want to spend loads of time on it, and after reading this...."On average, a girl is ready to be potty trained at approximately 29 months of age, says the University of Michigan Health System, compared to 31 months for the average boy...", I figured I'd start at 30 months & it would take a month...:haha:

We started with dd as soon as she could sit up at about 5 months and from then on she did at least one pee a day. We didnt put any pressure on but she loved sitting on the potty. She was under 18 months when she stopped having dirty nappies (which made life easier) but she still wet them until she was almost 3. We only started recently with ds and he just turned 2. I couldn't cope with it when I was dealing with hg or huge and pregnant and hard to bend down. Honestly an early start was great but I at the end of the day it doesn't really matter that much as long as you reach the goal. It just depends what suits you and your LO best.

Starting early doesn't mean it will end any sooner, just that you'll be in the training phase much, much longer. It is dependant on them being physically, mentally, and emotionally ready. Those things are not influenced by how early you start training.

We waited until it was her choice, and it was easy and painless. It was about 32 months.

^ Yes! Totally and utterly my reasoning behind starting my LO now rather than when everyone 'thought' she should be starting. The questions and comments I've received about it from certain individuals have seriously pissed me off. One especially noxious acquaintance of my MIL even threw out this argument: 'But little girls don't LIKE wearing nappies!' Where the hell she got that weird piece of info from I don't know - certainly not through experience, as she has two adult sons. :shrug:

If it had become clear at any point in my daughter's life that she was unhappy wearing a nappy then obviously I would have started potty training there and then! Stupid bloody gibbon. :nope:

Haven't read what the other responses say, but don't believe what they say about boys. With Leo, I just did a couple diaper-free weekends and he was trained. That being said, we're currently on vacation and potty use hasn't been super consistent. That's down to age (2) though, not gender. When we're home again, we'll go right back to underwear and get him back on track.

My son started at 2.5 but didn't train until 4.5. He has issues in his urinary tract, though.

My daughter started at about 2 years 4 months and was fully trained around 2 years 6/7 months. :)

I started DD1 early around 16 months but it took ages. She wasn't fully potty trained until 9 months later. She was happy to sit on the potty and do her business but was not so great about asking to go or going by herself.

DD2 I waited until she was around 30 months to really train her. We had been putting her on the potty for 3-4 months before hand but the day we took off her nappy off it was over and done with in a weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->