When did your LO stop having a day time nap?

trudie100

Reaction score
Hey ladies

So my little man will be 3 in March and still has a day time nap, after lunch

usually for 1-1.5 hours

He goes to bed at 7.30 & sleeps through until 7 so all fine

however ive noticed the last few nights he's just NOT tired by bed time. Im putting him in bed at 730 and reading him a book etc like we normally do.. but he's getting out of bed and playing or coming into the front room 4-5 times and im having to keep re-settle him until he finally goes off

last night he didnt fall to sleep until 9pm

My other half said maybe its time to stop his day time sleep but i wasnt sure if he was too young?

I do have friends who's little ones stopped their day time sleep much younger than my LO is now and he doesnt seem to need it some days now... alot of the time i put him down to sleep still or he might fall asleep in the car

When did your LO's stop sleeping during the day?

Thanks x

DD is 2.5 and still naps - if she doesnt she's a nightmare. My nephew is 3.5 and naps some days but not others. Maybe 3 days a week he'll have a nap?

Louis was 22/23 months when he completely dropped his nap. Alex has started going the same way at the same age, listening to him now chattering away in his cot. I know the afternoon will be awful if he doesn't nap though.

My.eldest tried to drop it at around two he's nearly three bow and I make sure he sits and rests after lunch with a film some days he naps sometimes he doesn't the days he doesn't he gets very grumpy. But he now goes to bed no trouble

Unfortunately my little guy stopped napping at 18 months his little sister was born and basically I didn't have the time to put him in his pram and spend ages trying to get him to sleep however his night time sleep improved dramatically so that was the up side. The down side is that once he is up he is on the go constantly and you don't get that hour or two for yourself which some days I would kill for :haha:

We do have to have some down time for him so normally put on Thomas so he will sit up and rest for a while and bed time is normally 7-7.30. x

My lb stopped napping at 16 months. Im so jelous of people with napping 3 yr olds

My LO stopped napping at 2.5 when she started pre-school. She'll occasionally drop off in the car if we're out later than 2pm but I never let her have long.

Hmmm I might see if this not being tired at 9pm thing carries on or not

if it does I might cut the daytime sleeps out

if were out and about all day he generally doesn't nap

but if were at home or have a long car ride at the end of the day he will want to sleep so he doesn't always need the day time nap anyway x

Mine started dropping his nap from 2 1/2 when he'd nap 4 out of 7 days for 2 hours. By 3 he was down to 2 naps a week and it had gone completely by 3 1/4.

He was much better at settling at bedtime once his nap had stopped.

He will still fall asleep in the car now but only on very rare occasions when he's shattered.

Maria dropped her nap at 18 months apart from the occasional nap when it had been a really busy day. Now she naps at daycare (9 days in a month) but not at home.

Unfortunately DD stopped around 18 months. She still gets tired and grumpy at 26 months but absolutely refuses daytime naps. If ever she has fallen asleep it has taken until at least 9.30-10pm to get her to bed, most days she goes to bed at 7. She wakes any time between 5am (she's told to go back to bed) and 6.30.

Totally depends on the child. Both of mine had naps until quite old. DS was 4 1/2 when he totally dropped his and DD was 4yrs 10mths although she still has the odd one every now and then and she's 5yrs 1mth.
I did find that when it got close to them dropping their naps that they didn't settle down at night as easily however neither of them ever came out of their rooms, they just stayed in them and looked at books etc, so it never bothered me. It was more important for me that they still had their daytime nap as they were total monsters if they didn't. If your lo is constantly coming out of his room then yes it may be time to drop it but i would try dropping it a couple of days a week and still have him have one every other day or something like that.

My LO is down to napping once a week, sometimes twice. On days he naps he doesn't fall asleep until 9pm but when he's practically falling asleep in his lunch I don't have the heart to say no to a nap.

My lo stopped napping around 18 months, apart from occasional naps. She'll be 3 in feb and very rarely naps now and only when we're out in the car. At night she sleeps from about 7-30 pm till usually between 8-9am. Sometimes I wish she'd nap in the day, so I could have a break, but am grateful to get a lay in in the mornings!

I'm having the same issue now. About 2-3 days a week at the moment, my LO is simply not tired at bedtime and is up at least 2 hours after bedtime, full of beans. I think we may be seeing the last days of his naps soon. He had been sleeping 7pm-6am with a 1.5 hour nap since about 18 months, but in the last few weeks his day sleep has suddenly dropped to an hour, and even that seems to be too much some days as he is just not tired enough to sleep.

He is only just two, so I am concerned its a bit early to be dropping his nap, but my mum said my brother and I both stopped napping sometime when we were two, so he's probably just taking after me.

we are having a bit of an awkward nap pahse! shes 26 months and sleeps 8-7 and usually has a 1.5 hour nap, however shes now resisting the nap and is a nightmare to deal with come tea time, if were out in the car she will nap but then shes not tired at bed time, cant win!

My lo stopped at 2.5, but only because of his new baby sister. He was napping 2hrs and going to bed easily at 7:30. It has taken a month of hell for him to get used to no nap (not my choice), and now goes to bed straight off at 6-6::30, and will sleep until 8-9 am if I let him.
So it does sound like your lo is getting ready to drop a nap I'm afraid.

My DD1 dropped her nap at 2years 4months, which I was pretty gutted about as it was right as I was going through the worst of my hyperemesis with DD2. On the positive side, she finally started sleeping through the night (and in her own bed) a couple of months later.

My lo is almost 2 and about to drop his nap. Naptime has been a struggle for the last few months, and I don't recall him having a successful nap in weeks, so I think they are just about done. He is tired at bedtime and sleeps a good 12 hours at night though. I think I will miss his nap more than he will...

Logan stopped his around 18 months but for a while before that he was only napping a couple of days a week.
He will occasionally nap in the car if he woke super early that day, but we never go anywhere far so he only has 10 minutes at the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->