When do you start buying stuff?

Jft1

Reaction score
This is our first baby and we're both really excited but obviously don't want to get ahead of ourselves.
We've looked at bits and bobs just to give us a few ideas - nursery furniture, pram etc, but I think it's too early just now to even think about buying anything.
We thought about buying some stuff after our 12 week scan (which is in just over 2 weeks), but I don't know if that still feels too early.
I know there's no right or wrong time to buy, I just don't want to tempt fate I suppose!
So I wondered when you all plan to start buying for your little ones?

I spaced purchases throughout the entire pregnancy, which made it easier on the wallet and kept the wait more bearable. I'm a deal hunter and secondhand shopper, so I really had fun buying everything over the span of several months!

I was pretty nervous to buy baby things, should something go wrong, but once I started, it really gave me hope that everything would go right!

My first purchase was a big bag of used maternity clothing from someone on FB marketplace. I paid $25 and most of it was horrible! I only ended up keeping a few pieces, the rest were either hemmed way too short or just terribly outdated. Despite that, it was really exciting to have made my first pregnancy-related purchase!

Next was a lightly used stroller around 12 weeks. Slowly I started feeling more confident in buying used things on Marketplace, knowing that I could resell them for what I paid if needed. I started stocking up on diapers around that time, also. I set a price I wanted to pay (10c a diaper) and just waited until coupons, sales, and opened bags from local mamas met my threshold. I now have more than I could possibly use from size newborn to size 3!

Creating a registry early on also helped me keep track of what I really wanted, and editing it every few days helped pass time. I must have made a hundred changes, additions and subtractions! Things that I could get cheaper by buying used were easy to pick up locally, and then I removed them from the registry. Things that I knew I wanted to buy new stayed on the registry and we got most everything at the baby shower because I had whittled the list down so much. It was also nice to have already bought a lot of used things first because what was left to receive at the shower was important, well planned, and not cheap to buy new!

We got a crib on clearance from Wal-Mart for $35. Changing table was free on Marketplace. High end $450 jogging stroller was $100 used. I had a LOT of fun hunting for name-brand deals and waiting for the right thing to come along! I was worried that if we waited, I wouldn't get what I really wanted and end up paying way too much.

If you are like many ladies that love buying new, check with the stores on their return policy. Keep in mind that you can also gift or donate things that you buy, if you end up not needing them.

Congratulations and happy shopping!

We usually start buying a pack of diapers and wipes with each pay check during the 9 month wait. Mainly to stock up and save, and with diapers, you can always return them for a different size if needed. We bought our first onesie a couple weeks ago out of excitement. I don't see anything wrong with it if you have had your beta levels confirmed or had a scan. It's an exciting time, plus, in my opinion, I would rather spend more now than closer to the due date when I will more than likely be broke lol

But also with it being your first, you will probably receive a shower of gifts :)

I think it’s just personal preference. If you feel comfortable and happy to buy then do it. Personally I like to wait till my 20 week scan.... I usually buy babies first outfit then. After that point I just keep an eye out for bargains.

Congratulations x

Thank you so much for your replies!

Hickory - I admire how much time and energy you put into all of your purchases. That's an amazing way to do everything, and a very sensible way! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for bargains. I've noticed a few good sales on so that's what's tempted me to start getting stuff.

Faith - I'm with you, I'll definitely be broke by the time baby is here so buying stuff each month is a much better way of doing it. I think I'll start getting some 'essentials' next pay day. I had a scan at 7 weeks and baby had a strong heartbeat, so praying it will continue.

Mummy2corban - my mum said wait until 20 weeks. She's a bit more superstitious that way. She held off really late to get things for my brother and I before she had us. I've got another 10 weeks until I reach that stage, I don't know if I can hold off that long!!

Congratulations!! If it’s your first, like the pp mentioned, I’m assuming you will have a baby shower? So if you do, you will get a lot then! And even big things, people go in together to get those. As for diapers, wipes and necessities, I think it’s a good idea to get ahead and it makes it exciting to buy for the baby. I am pregnant with our third and we have one of each so we won’t have to purchase much which is amazing but at the same time, it’s kind of sad that I don’t really get to shop that much for them. I still will pick up some outfits and whatnot but it will be minimal. So enjoy buying for that little one!

Congratulations!! If it’s your first, like the pp mentioned, I’m assuming you will have a baby shower? So if you do, you will get a lot then! And even big things, people go in together to get those. As for diapers, wipes and necessities, I think it’s a good idea to get ahead and it makes it exciting to buy for the baby. I am pregnant with our third and we have one of each so we won’t have to purchase much which is amazing but at the same time, it’s kind of sad that I don’t really get to shop that much for them. I still will pick up some outfits and whatnot but it will be minimal. So enjoy buying for that little one!
I don't plan to have a baby shower. I'm in the UK and it's only recently baby showers have become a thing. People usually have them if they're doing a gender reveal, which I won't be because we're not finding out. Congratulations! It'll save you a fortune not having to buy as much! The buying is so exciting though and I'm enjoying looking at everything and making a list of what we need to get

With our first we made a list of all the big purchases and nursery stuff and such, and then each month we bought 1-2 big-ish things, like some of the other posters mentioned. I saved most clothing, wraps, blankness, bath stuff, medical care stuff, toys for the baby shower, and focused on the biggies. We set a few hundred bucks aside each month to go years baby prep. I think we started some time between 12-14 weeks.

With this one, we have the big stuff, but still need to make a nursery and get clothes and diapers and maybe keep my eye out for a used double stroller. :) it helps if you buy neutral colors if you think you’ll have another at some point!

Hi hon it's really up to you when u feel ready.
I brought some maternity items when I was about 9 weeks.

I dont buy anything like baby clothing until around 24 weeks. And I'll just buy the odd thing here and there. Moses basket and cot I dont buy until about 30 weeks and the pram i will prob buy at 34 weeks.
I'm going to purchase a pregnancy pillow in the next few weeks. Ooow yeah I brought a doppler to at 11 weeks.
Nappies and wipes and stuff I normally start buying around 28 weeks onwards.
But its completely up to you hon No time is really rite or wrong it's just when u feel comfortable to.

Hi during my first pregnancy I was also really excited to purchase stuff but paranoid at the same time that something might go wrong I waited until second trimester when I found out I’m having a baby girl then started shopping all the best

I'll wait until I know the gender before buying baby stuff. I had to cave and bought maternity clothes at 10 weeks but that's all I have so far. I'm planning on booking a private gender scan at 16 weeks to find out as soon as I can, I'm not patient.

I've already started!

With my 1st I didn't buy until 20 odd weeks, wasn't finished by the time I gave birth, don't leave it that late Haha

With not second I camt remember when I started but I was finished by 30 weeks as I went I to labour early with him, they which managed to control

I'm 9 weeks with my 3rd baby and I've already got the basics plus a few neutral coloured blankets and stuff, wont be buying many clothes until I k ow the gender :)

I don't want to go too mad with neutral clothing, cause once baby is born I'll want to get nice boy or girl things.
I think if I make a list and at least know how much stuff is and where I'm getting it from, I'll feel a lot more organized.
I've found nursery furniture I like and a moses basket, but I started looking at pram 'just to see' and oh my God I did not realize there were so many options and so many things you need to consider haha.

This is our first baby and we're both really excited but obviously don't want to get ahead of ourselves.
We've looked at bits and bobs just to give us a few ideas - nursery furniture, pram etc, but I think it's too early just now to even think about buying anything.
We thought about buying some stuff after our 12 week scan (which is in just over 2 weeks), but I don't know if that still feels too early.
I know there's no right or wrong time to buy, I just don't want to tempt fate I suppose!
So I wondered when you all plan to start buying for your little ones?

Good question. I had the same one. I am only 9w1d and I started buying unisex clothing and some things. I am going to wait until after my first trimester before I start buying the nursery. I want it done early so I don't have to stress when I am much bigger. Plus we are just so excited it is hard not to shop. I think it comes down to when you are guys are ready.

ng6Tm7.png

I already know what pram I'm buying but wont be buying it until I'm about 30+ weeks.
It's the mothercare journey one 4 wheels. Looks like a bugaboo but so much cheaper\\:D/
I'll find a pic its really nice and it's only £300 so not to pricey

I already know what pram I'm buying but wont be buying it until I'm about 30+ weeks.
It's the mothercare journey one 4 wheels. Looks like a bugaboo but so much cheaper\\:D/
I'll find a pic its really nice and it's only £300 so not to pricey
I looked at that too. And I looked at the silver cross one that they do in the bundle with car seat etc? It's on mothercares website. I have no idea though!!

I looked at that too. And I looked at the silver cross one that they do in the bundle with car seat etc? It's on mothercares website. I have no idea though!!

Silver cross is normally good. Normally a bit more expensive. My bugaboo was awesome and so lightweight and east to use but I sold it. The mother care one really reminds me of my buga boo but I think it looks nicer. I like the wheels better on the mother care one. I've had a little go with it in store and it's really easy to use. Just got to save up now Haha. Mother care do a monthly payment scheme not sure if u new that.

View attachment 1059360

Definitely going for this one. It turns into a stroller as well for when baby gets bigger.

Oh my God this is the one I was fancying out of the cheaper option hahaha! Are we gonna keep buying or fancying the same things the entire pregnancy:) I'm also torn between a venicci and the really funky colourful cosatto prams:)

Screenshot_20190407-085613_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I love the cosatto as well, I'm going to go to mothercare and have a proper look rather than just going by online pictures. I didn't know mothercare had a finance option!! I added stuff to my basket and it was about £1500 so that would be ideal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->