When is the third tri Ultrasound?

Squiggy

Rainbow Baby
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I do have an appointment next week for prenatal but I'm impatient now and I want to know about when they schedule the 3rd ultrasound.

What week do they typically do the 3rd u/s?

Thanks!!! :flower:

In the uk, we only get an ultrasound at 12 and 20 weeks. We are only offered further scans if there is a specific reason for it.

I've got a 34wk scan next week but that's only because I've been high risk.

Of course a lot depends on your doctor, but I only had the 20 week ultrasound assured to me... I did get one at 6 weeks for spotting though. Most doctors don't do ultrasounds after 20 weeks unless they are looking for something specific or if you ask for one due to concerns. They do late ultrasounds to check baby's position if they are unsure, fluid levels, etc. if things are not measuring correctly. Of course, if you are high risk due to age or GD, or some other factor, you may get several extra ultrasounds as well... Good luck with your little sprout! :flower:

same in Ireland!!! only at 12 and 23 weeks unless you are high risk

My doctor says a 36 week u/s is normal. But I am having one done sooner than that (at 32) because I am high risk.

Some drs do growth scans at 36 weeks and also check if baby is breech or head down but most the time you don't get one in 3rd tri bummer huh

I actually get a growth scan at 33 weeks (London, UK) even though I am low risk - this isn't the norm though for the UK, I think my hospital are trialling having a 3rd tri scan so I guess I get the benefit of being a guinea pig!

Typically you do.not recieve an unltrasound in the 3rd unless you either pay for a private one, or need a growth scan.

My doctor said unless there is an issue we dont get a third ultrasound. If I get too curious I think I might PUSH for a growth scan to make sure shes not HUGE because I am VBAC she might fall for it. And I will also tell her I get one free one in 3rd tri from my insurance anyways so give it to me. :D

I am high risk and will have one next Friday. And probably one or two more before the end to measure growth due to medications I take. if your insurance covers it then i say try for it.

My doctor scheduled one for 39 weeks which is normal for their office. They said they'll measure and get an estimated weight then

My doctor does a sonogram at 35 weeks to check position of baby and fluid amount.

I have heard that 36-37 week ultrasounds can be normal here in the US, but I didnt get that with my last doctor with DS so I guess it's up to your DR.

My dr only does the 20 week scan unless there is something wrong.

I live on East Cost of USA as well, my MW only did one at 28 weeks because my fundal height measured behind. So it was just a quick growth scan... But normally they don't do anymore after the anatomy scan unless you're high risk.. :/ I know, it sucks... I wish they did more... I was lucky enough to get that growth scan lol..

Anything after the 20 week is on an "as needed" basis.

I had a 3rd done at 25 weeks because my placenta was too close to my cervix and they wanted to check that it had moved up. And a 4th last week to make sure my fluids were fine. High blood pressure was giving them all kinds of concerns so I had to go to L&D for a whole bunch of tests.

My doctor does a 32 week one standard, and 38 weeks.

Most low risk pregnancies you won't get a 3rd tri ultrasound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->