When is your first appt?

ace28

TTC #2
Reaction score
How many weeks will you be at your first appointment?

My wife/ours has been scheduled at 12 weeks, which seems odd to me and a little nerve-wracking. The doctor we scheduled with is very highly recommended, one of the best in the area. I think maybe her schedule is just very packed and so that's why she doesn't see people until 12 weeks?

Meanwhile, we don't have a scan of the baby, no idea if there is one, two, ten in there (hahahaha... Ha.), if pregnancy is viable, etc! So, my question is- we are already patients at a different OB across town. Would it be terrible to schedule an "initial" pregnancy appointment with them for like 8 weeks, get seen, get it all confirmed, and rest our nerves a little bit- but then keep our 12 week appt with the other office and switch?

I just feel like it's so strange having an appt be that late without even checking in on the pregnancy at all!

Where I live (North Dakota) all appointments aren't until 11-12 weeks. The basic consensus is if you are going to miscarry or it isn't viable, there's nothing they can do about it anyways. So unless you have problems (spotting, pain, etc) you wait until close to 12 weeks. My initial first ob appointment was January 21 and I would be 12 weeks 3 days by LMP.

They only do 2 scans here also. Once around 12 weeks and then the gender/anatomy scan at 20.

Since I spent a week and a half spotting I've had 4 quantitative blood draws and an early scan next week at 6 weeks 3 days.

I had blood work done yesterday and I have my first scan next Tuesday when I'll be roughly 6w2d. All the doctors affiliated with my hospital give multiple scans... One 6-8 weeks, 12 weeks, 20 weeks, and 30 weeks. Also depends on history of MCs which I've had 2 in the past.

We have history of one confirmed, one suspected miscarry. It was some time ago, with a healthy pregnancy since...

the reason they may schedule later is 1. theres no recurrent miscarriages or complications in your past pregnancy history and 2. baby is big enough for them to see alot more and diagnose things easier as far as health and size to week goes.

i didnt ever have to wait because i insisted on seeing a doctor and got to see one at 4 wks 6 days and ive been seeing a doctor every 4 weeks since then. they switch me between midwives and doctors each appointment but ofcourse i can choose who i see. im glad i insisted on getting seen earlier because i think initially the appointments start at 8 weeks here. its my first pregnancy and everything has been perfect with baby since the first prenatal appointment.

Monday! It's just intake though, to get weight and draw some blood. I don't get a scan until after Christmas I think. (10-12 weeks they said, more likely 12 weeks)

I've never been so excited to get Christmas over with.

Tomorrow! 9 Weeks 5 days. I was originally scheduled for the 19th at 11 weeks 5 days, but I couldn't make it due to work etc.

Mine was around 6 weeks, I did a ton of bloodwork etc. and filled out forms. Im glad I did it early cause they discovered a thyroid issue that could have effected baby if it had gone undiagnosed.

Id ask for something around 8 weeks if you don't want to go super early :)

My wife/ours has been scheduled at 12 weeks, which seems odd to me and a little nerve-wracking. The doctor we scheduled with is very highly recommended, one of the best in the area. I think maybe her schedule is just very packed and so that's why she doesn't see people until 12 weeks?

Meanwhile, we don't have a scan of the baby, no idea if there is one, two, ten in there (hahahaha... Ha.), if pregnancy is viable, etc! So, my question is- we are already patients at a different OB across town. Would it be terrible to schedule an "initial" pregnancy appointment with them for like 8 weeks, get seen, get it all confirmed, and rest our nerves a little bit- but then keep our 12 week appt with the other office and switch?

I just feel like it's so strange having an appt be that late without even checking in on the pregnancy at all!

Ugh, I really feel your pain! I just called the hospital and my first appointment isn't unti Jan. 19!! Grrrr, I don't even know how far along I am!! If I'm 5 weeks now like I'm guessing then I'll be 14 weeks when I finally get to see someone!! And did I mention that the first appointment is just for "history taking" and to refer me for blood tests. So frustrating! My good friend is getting married in another province around the time I'm *probably* due and this will make booking the trip interesting, to say the least.

Tomorrow! 9 Weeks 5 days. I was originally scheduled for the 19th at 11 weeks 5 days, but I couldn't make it due to work etc.

Ohhh Ajarvis, I can't wait to hear about yours :)

I love seeing men on this sight :thumbup:

BTW I will be getting my first scan at 12 weeks 4 days so your wife is not alone and yes I agree it is very difficult to wait.

Monday! It's just intake though, to get weight and draw some blood. I don't get a scan until after Christmas I think. (10-12 weeks they said, more likely 12 weeks)

I've never been so excited to get Christmas over with.

LOL that made me giggle. Only because I share the sentiment! Christmas we'll be 8w1d, and last time she had a miscarriage was before 8weeks... so I kind of feel like if we can get to Christmas with this baby, we'll be fine.

Ugh, I really feel your pain! I just called the hospital and my first appointment isn't unti Jan. 19!! Grrrr, I don't even know how far along I am!! If I'm 5 weeks now like I'm guessing then I'll be 14 weeks when I finally get to see someone!! And did I mention that the first appointment is just for "history taking" and to refer me for blood tests. So frustrating! My good friend is getting married in another province around the time I'm *probably* due and this will make booking the trip interesting, to say the least.

Yeah ours is scheduled for the 20th with the doctor we want to be with. That's so long to wait! And it just scares me- anything could go wrong between now and then and we would never know.

I love seeing men on this sight :thumbup:

Ermmm.... Actually, I'm a lady too. :blush: LOL. I'm in a same sex marriage and I was the one pregnant last time, my wife is this time. :thumbup:

Anyways... so I called our old OB today, the ones we're currently patients with. We now have an appointment with them next Thursday! We'll be six weeks. Will that be too soon? LOL. We'll stay with this office and then switch over to the new office at 12 weeks.

Ermmm.... Actually, I'm a lady too. :blush: LOL. I'm in a same sex marriage and I was the one pregnant last time, my wife is this time. :thumbup:

OMG I am sooo sorry about that Ace...I know some men named Ace so I assumed lol...well regardless it is nice to see a significant other on this site :winkwink:

I'm glad you followed your instinct, pregnancy after loss is stressful enough without feeling that you're waiting forever!

I had scans at 4+5, 5+5 and 7+5 but my actual ob appointment isn't until 15th when I will be 10+1.

I had a scan 3 days after I found out I was confirmed pregnant by my regular doc. Scans said 5wk 1 day. Now 12/4/14 Im 6wk and 4 days. I go to my OB appt. on the 15th this month so about 8 weeks. This is my first. So idk how anything is supposed to go. In California if everything is good 2 dr. visits in the first trimester. 2 in second and I think 1 in 3rd and obviously birth. gl with your baby or babies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->