When people advise me against co-sleeping...

xxxBBxxx

Reaction score
People are always trying to give me 'advice' about co-sleeping with my lo. They often say "My firnd has a kid that is (some crazy age) and they cant get him out of their bed". Right now my lo is 3 months old and I enjoy it! I need to know what to say to shut them up!

Probably not much you can say except SHUT IT! lol. People always think they no better, whether they're right or wrong, you need to make your own decisions for your baby.
Lately my LO has been having his morning nap on me, it seems to last longer and we just cuddle and I relax and watch tv. It's so wonderful! I loved co-sleeping with my son, I personally got terrible sleeps, but loved cuddling with him!

The problem with people giving you their advice based on what one friend did is that they always only hear about the friend that did it too long! People don't tell you to not use a stroller just because once they saw an 8 year old sitting in a stroller while his mother pushed him around, and they don't tell you not to breastfeed because they know someone that was feeding on demand to a 5 year old.

Just ignore the ignorant people who think they know what they're talking about because of a couple anecdotes, and do what you feel to be best. IMO, only your child's doctor's opinion of how you are raising your child should matter.

lol i coslept with my first, and she was 3 when i got her out of my bed, and it was hell for a few weeks till she settled in her room and her own bed, she still snook in in the morning though for cuddles which i loved :)

i wouldnt have changed it, except for maybe getting a bigger bed,
im cosleeping with my Aimee now :) and will probably have to go thru all the paddys and stuff again but its worth it

tell em to pish off :p

Just because they co-sleep doesnt mean you will have problems, or if you do have problems any more than those whose babies ALWAYS sleep in a crib/cot (I know many people who have a nightmare with their 2/3yr old climbing out of bed a dozen times a night etc)
In my personal experience it was easy as pie getting my son to go from my bed to his own bed (I dont really "do" cots so he was never in one) I just bought him his bed, put his new covers on it and off he went....though he was almost too small to get into it by himself as it was a cabin bed. He never got up in the night or tried to sneak into my bed, possibly because he was old enough (some time between 15 and 18 months, cant remember exactly) to have it explained to him and he was very ready for his own space.

Back to the question...just smile, nod and agree. Its not worth the wasted breath!

I co-sleep with Cassidy and frequently with my almost 9 and 6 yr old and see no problem in it at all. The day will soon come when they don't want to cuddle up to mummy anymore so I treasure the time that they still want to. There'll come a time when they are no longer our babies and are too cool to sleep in mummies bed :haha:

Best thing I think to do, just don't discuss sleeping arrangements with anyone you know just won't get it. x

I always tell people that she's my daughter and if I was bothered by cosleeping, I wouldn't do it. But that I love it and wouldn't change it for the world. I honestly just LOVE sleeping with my baby girl cuddled up to me. I lost a baby before her and I never thought I'd get the opportunity to be a mother. So I treasure every moment with her and if she wants to get extra cuddles, she gets them. :thumbup:

You say "Well, I was rather hoping I might share his/her marital bed" as deadpan as you can. Hopefully your wildly sarcastic comment coupled with your serious face should confuse and offend them into silence.

Always works for me.

People are amazed we still co-sleep but there is nothing more precious in the world than feeling her snuggle in to us in the middle of the night or feeling a foot come on to my bump and hearing a sleepy "bay-bee" mutter from her - people parent as to what works for them and make choices based on what works for them, but there's no need to judge others based on that - for some people co-sleeping would be an absolute nightmare but for others it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->