When should I announce? No hb on Doppler

maddog37

Reaction score
I'm around 12-13 weeks along. Yesterday I saw my midwife, but she couldn't find the heartbeat. She's not concerned since I've had no cramping or spotting. The baby looked fine at the 10 week scan where I saw but didn't hear the heartbeat.

I was going to do an official announcement to friends/relatives on fb in a couple of days once I hit 13 weeks, but now I'm not sure if I should wait until I hear the heartbeat?

I'm not seeing the midwife for another 4 weeks. And the next scan will be around 20 weeks so even later.

What to do?:shrug:

Having experienced a loss before, I personally would feel more comfortable waiting for confirmation of heartbeat, but that's just me. I'm sure your baby is fine - sometimes the heartbeat is difficult to pick up depending on location of the baby. Is there any other way you could get confirmation in the meantime, though? Could you borrow a friend's Doppler, maybe?

I'm sure if your midwife isn't concerned then try not to worry but I know how scared you must be, could you get your own doppler or maybe book a private scan for reassurance. Good luck xx

With my first two pregnancies, if hb couldn't be detected with doppler that far along I was either sent immediately for a "stress test" or to ultrasound.

I think it's really strange that she'd just assume all was fine and then not see you for a whole month :shock:

Maybe it's just a difference in where we live but I can't imagine any doc here just letting that slide on a whim and a prayer. Not to freak you out, but that you've had no cramping or bleeding is a moot point. I would either demand that she rechecks you immediately, or go somewhere else that would. I would not announce to anyone until things are sorted either way.

Will be keeping fingers crossed that everything is ok and you get some answers!

I agree to wait until you can confirm hb. I would ask to be seen again either for a scan or check for hb again.

Its up to you, i had early scan at 8w with my previous baby we announced soon after this, i didn't hear heartbeat only seen it.

A lot of MW in uk don't even use a doppler till 24w because like in your case they are not easy to find still and everyone was being referred for scans that weren't needed.

I personally see no harm in announcing, its whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Ok. I guess I looked online and it seems to be pretty common not to hear with a doppler at 12 weeks so I'm trying not to freak out. I think it's just where I live, they won't do any additional test if it doesn't seem warranted.

I don't have a friend with a doppler. Maybe I'll rent one or go to the private 4D ultrasound place near me … they have a special on Tuesdays or something.

Did she see it beating on the screen the first time? Yesterday when I went to the doctor she found it beating on screen and then picked it up so I could hear it. She told me she had some trouble at first but when she found the hearbeat, it was beating strong at 170!

I would definitely wait until I heard the heartbeat. Buy your own doppler for $50 off ebay for piece of mind. :)

Ok. I guess I looked online and it seems to be pretty common not to hear with a doppler at 12 weeks so I'm trying not to freak out. I think it's just where I live, they won't do any additional test if it doesn't seem warranted.

I don't have a friend with a doppler. Maybe I'll rent one or go to the private 4D ultrasound place near me … they have a special on Tuesdays or something.

Its extremely common dont worry :flower:

I rented a doppler before my 12w scan, i haven't heard baby HB since friday but can hear his/her movements still small and have plenty of hiding places, plus you dont know where your placenta is currently sitting.

Yes I saw the hb on the ultrasound a few weeks ago.

Trying to rent a doppler from a place near me, but their purchase form isn't secure! Argh! :)

I bought one on ebay for $20 very basic but just for peace of mind because I've already had 2 ER trips.
I agree to stay alum and not think to much into it but I would wait to hear the hb before saying anything just to make sure.

I announced my pregnanxy as soon as I found out with both of mine, my doctor had a hard time picking up baby's heartbeat at 11 week but finally did, next day ultrasoun revealed baby was very active and she picked it up, I had to go in yesterday due to my blood pressure/migraines and he was able to pick it up within seconds I was 13&5 then, I would be trying to get anther scan or something, I was a nervous wreck until I heard that sweet heart beat

I would definitely try to get a doppler or another ultrasound JUST to be on the safe side before announcing. With my MMC I was 14 weeks and they couldn't hear the heartbeat, so they sent me for an ultrasound to be on the safe side, and turns out baby stopped growing at 8 weeks. I got a doppler with this pregnancy, and found it at 10+3 and my OB found it at 10+6.

Just having your ultrasound a weeks ago is a good sign. Some women do have a hard time finding the heartbeat before 14 weeks, and that may be the case here!

Thanks all. I really hope everything is fine. I rented a doppler today and couldn't find the hb still. I'll try again in a few days or a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->