When to buy first shoes?

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
Just wondering when to buy Aisling's first pair of proper shoes (like going to Clarks to get fitted etc). She's never really worn any before and she's only just started crawling. I don't see the point in paying decent money if she doesn't need them yet and will just outgrow them quickly but I'm starting to see that most if not all babies her age now seem to be wearing them so I'm worried I'm depriving her of a basic necessity or something! :blush:

Kyle could be in "crouisers (sp?)" since he trys to walk but im not going to get him some "proper" shoes till he starts takiong proper steps so proberly around a year old for us, Might get him his first shows for his birthday :cloud9:

alex is one tomorrow
he started pulling himself up and cruising for last 2 weeks so we went to clarkes and got him some cruisers last weekend

he never wore alot of shoes and is obsessed with undoing the straps!!

We didn't get Poppy shoes until she had taken a few steps. We then bought her the soft cruiser shoes from Clarks as she was still crawling and that was back in January and her feet have STILL not gone up and size. I am dying to get her a new pair for Spring but there is no point till her feet grow a bit more :)

I bought them clarks shoes and they worn them once or twice around the house. They are not walking yet and were waste of money.
They have their robeez on most of the time now and they're great!

My two got their first shoes measured when they started walking as I was told its best to let the feet develop before putting them in shoes.They were 13-14 months old.

With my first i got her shoes as soon as her feet were big enough to fit in them ... she hardly wore them :dohh:

With my others i waited till they were walking outside (so really need them) before getting any and will do the same with Jamie :thumbup:

i just stuck with daisy roots/robeez/starchild ones when my 4 year old was little until she wanted to walk outside, then got her a pair of startright ones.

Im dying to get Edens some shoes! they are just so cute and pretty!!!!shes not even crawling yet tho lol

OT but cariad bach i love that picture of your little boy in your sig where hes pulling a funny face :haha:

They don't need shoes until they're walking outside. Before that shoes can actually hinder the development of walking.

We got proper shoes when my daughter had been walking for around 6 weeks. We were advised to wait until then to let her feet develop properly.

She did have some pre-walker shoes once she started pulling herself up, but only to keep her feet warm outside and protect them at nursery. If she wasn't at nursery, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Ruby has some pre walking shoes but only ever wears them outside to keep her feet warm,soft shoes just fall straight off. I'll get her measured for proper shoes when she starts walking.

i said he could have some when he walked 10 steps- and they were cruisers, to keep his feet safe while he walked at nursery and in the library. The next pair of shoes will be proper shoes, because he walks outside now, though i think the softer soled cruisers are fine outside too.

I read that it's better for babies to learn to walk without shoes first, so that they can get their balance without the aid of shoes. Harry is currently walking around holding onto things - he's not taken more than 2 steps on his own. However, when he's just got socks on, he slips around all over the living room floor (wooden, not carpet), so we got him these and they're brilliant!
They're socks with a sole.

They don't need shoes until they're walking outside. Before that shoes can actually hinder the development of walking.

This is what I was told. Theakston has been cruising for a couple of weeks but I have no intentions of getting him shoes until he starts properly walking when out and about. My friend has had her son in these horrible little plasticy shoes, they're like dolls shoes, just push onto his feet, since he was only a few months old.

Thanks, you lot have made me feel alot better about not having got Aisling any! I like those sock slipper shoe type things though, might look into them for when we're out, I do worry about her feel getting cold and at least they're as soft as socks so should be ok :D

Hannah didn't have shoes until she started walking (and it was around her birthday, family was in visiting and we were going on a lot of day trips before that she walked around our yard barefoot all the time!)

I got my first crawlers at 8 months, she was walking holding our hands and walked on her own 2 months later (still in the same size cruisers) I didn;t get her any cruisers til she was 1 and had been walking a while

I run an online baby shoe store in Australia and if she isn't walking you can get her soft sole pre walkers that protect her feet and look cute. When she starts to walk or pull herself up on things you can get flexible sole shoes like Jack n Lily or Riley Roos that have bendable soles so they pattern her walking style and don't inhibit her learning to walk. There are lots out there :) Just google soft sole walking shoes :)

TBH I put Elyse in soft soled shoes or socks with non slip bottoms until she started walking around outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->