When to get beta checked? Why isn’t my doc doing it??

Abbey08

Reaction score
I may even be saying it wrong. But I see other women getting there count and days later again to make sure its rising. I went to a “womans clinic” and they confirmed my pregnancy with a urine test and I called my OBGYN who scheduled me for end of this month when I will be approx 8 weeks along. This is my first pregnancy and am nervous.

You should have gone for a blood test when you first told them you were pregnant (that's not your fault, it's theirs). I would demand a blood test to make sure your levels are rising appropriately. 8 weeks is far too long to go without a blood pregnancy test, and they should know this.

The only reason I had my beta checked was because I worked with a RE... had I not then I don't think my OB would have done a beta, just would have told me to come in at 8 weeks and do a sono then.

I may even be saying it wrong. But I see other women getting there count and days later again to make sure its rising. I went to a “womans clinic” and they confirmed my pregnancy with a urine test and I called my OBGYN who scheduled me for end of this month when I will be approx 8 weeks along. This is my first pregnancy and am nervous.

If your doc has no reason to believe anything is amiss, then often they don't order blood tests. Knowing the numbers isn't always useful either and there's nothing that you could do about them anyway. What will be, will be. Good luck.

Same thing happened to me when I went to the walk in.
They just were going to do a urine test...um duh I already did that, lol.

I asked for a blood test only because I had a very early mc three years ago.

I am not sure if HCG levels are a common practice unless they suspect something is wrong?

I think it depends where you are. For example; in the UK, it isn't standard practice to do blood tests to establish whether your beta levels are rising. I read somewhere that they only do it if they suspect an ectopic pregnancy.

I'm in the USA, specifically Kansas, and everyone I know of has had them done. It seems standard practice. If you are concerned, I'd ask the ob.

The only reason I had a beta is because I was freaking out, hysterical about a miscarriage and my nurse wanted to calm me down. Else, they would not have done it.

Where I'm from, betas are only done if the women has had previous losses or if the pregnancy is a result of IVF etc.

To be honest, I've had lots of normal betas which turned out to be unsuccessful pregnancies. With my DS, I decided to not bother with a beta as they just stress me it waiting on results. Also with this pregnancy I didn't bother with beta test either. An ultrasound at 7 weeks will be a better indicator of a successful pregnancy.

Although I can't speak for why the doctor isn't doing them, I can say that my doctor isn't monitoring my beta levels. I had a blood test at 8 weeks, but since then haven't had anything.

I think the only place they are standard is in the US. I only had mine done (I'm in Canada) because I had a bfp at home and a bfn at the doctor's office. I had a follow up because of my history of mc's.

I think the only place they are standard is in the US. I only had mine done (I'm in Canada) because I had a bfp at home and a bfn at the doctor's office. I had a follow up because of my history of mc's.
This.

Here in NZ women do not get a blood test when they find out they're pregnant. Our first bloods are taken at 8 weeks. Honestly, I'm not really sure of the point of this beta testing - unless you have a history of things going wrong it is total overkill to me. It just gives women another thing to worry about.

I didn't have betas done. I'm sure with the blood work I had done it was checked, but it was never rechecked. My ob requires blood work though. Had it drawn at 7w1d.

We get blood work done at 8 weeks (our first appt) too, but it doesn't include betas.

I'm in Canada (Toronto) and I have ALWAYS had my pregnancies confirmed by blood test. However I do not get my beta hcg levels measured as I'm not high risk or have had previous losses such as mc or ectopic. A blood test is the most efficient and appropriate way to confirm other than ultrasound of course. It's only on here I've heard of women getting urine tested at doctors office. I usually get a pos hpt then go see my family doc to run the blood test. On confirmation I then call my obgyn where they will send me for dating scan and start regular prenatal care from 12 weeks on.

Edit: to clarify getting your 1st beta hcg is essentially confirming pregnancy. (Which is standard in my experience ) u ask your doc for a copy of your labs or ask what the number is they will tell u. The repeats of the levels to check if they are rising is what I referred to if high risk etc.

[/QUOTE]If your doc has no reason to believe anything is amiss, then often they don't order blood tests. Knowing the numbers isn't always useful either and there's nothing that you could do about them anyway. What will be, will be. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's very important to make sure your numbers are rising appropriately. When I had my ectopic in February (with NO previous MC's at all) my beta levels weren't rising as they should have. I had no idea... My Doc just kept telling me that my Beta's were a little low and that I need more blood work done. I lost the baby at 6 weeks and was in hospital for two days recovering from surgery. My left tube was removed.

I'm in the US and my doctor does not do bloodwork as a standard. They do not even see you until 6 weeks from your missed period. I did have bloodwork done this past pregnancy, but it is only because I miscarried the pregnancy before and asked for the bloodwork. I did not have my betas tested with my DS

i am in the uk they dont evan do a preg test they just give you an appointment for 8 weeks and take it on your say so unless there has been any problems x

I am in Canada and not only have I not been given a blood test yet I wasn't even given a urine test! Because I had 3 positive home pregnancy tests they said there is no point as I'm obviously pregnant...so you are not alone in feeling neglected...

Omg fit mama that's crazy! I've never had a urine test but they ALWAYS confirm by blood. Shame on them. U can ask for it though. Some family doctors are useless. U need to guide them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->