When to make first appointment?

tazgirl

1 boy, 1 girl, blessed :)
Reaction score
So this is my third so you'd think I'd know by now but I cant remember :haha:

When are we recommended in the UK to make initial contact with NHS? And can I book straight with the midwives or do I have to go through the GP? :flower:

Not sure about the UK but I was told by my doctor to come in at 8 weeks. Congrats and good luck!

Hey there!
Firstly a HUGE congratulations goes out to you!! such exciting news!

Personally, I found out on Monday night and I made an appointment the following day at work for this coming Monday, so a week! just to have confirmation of blood test, figure out roughly how far along I am and even just for my piece of mind to get that confirmation!

I'm seeing my gp today at 7 weeks. Was hoping to go straight to the midwife but no he wants to see me.

If you have had less than 3 previous losses and no pregnancy complications so far most surgeries will recommend going straight to the midwife. When they will see you does depend on where you live though. For us it's booking in between 8-12 weeks. Most gp's don't comfirm pregnancy and will just refer you straight to the midwives. Good luck!

I'm seeing the midwife at 8 weeks. Think that's the standard, at least in Scotland.

you can book straight in with your local midwives, but they wont see you until between 8-11 weeks x

My gp surgery books you in with the midwife. My appointment should be between 9-12 weeks apparently, although it used to be 8. I suppose maybe they are just busy atm ! haha

5 weeks this week and going gp tomorrow, he will then refer me for a scan around 9-12 weeks (basing this on last time)

I made mine pretty immediately. I was 6w gone by the time I found out. My GP doesn't deal with any natal care so just called up the Midwifery unit who asked a bunch of health questions then booked us an appointment.

Thanks ladies. I'm 7 weeks on Wednesday so I'll prob give them a call sometime next week to start the ball rolling. I know the first scan is usually about 12 weeks so no great rush.

I'm sure I booked straight in with the midwife at about 8 weeks with my first but this time when I called for an appointment I was told I had to see my GP first by the receptionist. When I saw my GP he was a bit mystified as to why I was told to see him first and it was a bit of a waste of time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->