• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When to reattach & when to change sides??

k4th

Reaction score
Background - ds had jaundice & is a sleepy baby. I'm currently waking him for feeds every 2 hrs during the day and every 4 hrs at night (unless he does wake himself in which case I feed on demand). I'm having to strip him to wake him enough to feed.

He's feeding well when he's on & since my milk came in yesterday he's gulping it down fast - he can be finished on one side in 15 minutes. Dd was also a fast, efficient feeder & I had oversupply with her so I don't currently have concerns about that.

But - he is a very sleepy baby. Sometimes he's going to sleep on the breast within 5-10 mins. When I burp him, he wakes & realised he hasn't finished. At that point - do I reattach him to the breast he came from? It do I try the other breast?

I'm really engorged so I would really like to get something out of both breasts. But I don't want to be leaving too much in each breast as well and not emptying either properly!

Any help? Thanks :thumbup:

I would let him finish off the breast like he normally would if he hadn't fallen asleep to empty the breast.

Also if this continues could you try looking up the facebook group tongue ties baby support it has 30k members.

A baby falling asleep at the breast could be a sign of a tongue or lip tie, they have a preferred provider list. Xxxx

Thanks Rachel :)

I'm pretty sure it's the jaundice making him so sleepy. The midwife took his levels & he was close to needing light therapy. The midwife said it's likely to stop him waking for feeds & that's why I'm trying to wake & keep him awake for the length of a feed.

His tongue has plenty of movement - but I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me the tip :thumbup:

I'd put him back to the same breast till he takes himself off (rather than just passing out on the boob). The fact that you are feeding 2hourly means you shouldn't get dangerously engorged even if you can't wake him for the second breast sometimes.

Thanks noon_child :thumbup:

I'm feeling much less engorged since putting him back on the same side for a second time when he wants more!

I was going to say same side, you want to make sure he's getting enough hind milk x

Same side. If your other side is really uncomfortable, you could pump/express. I had to do that in the early weeks.

We had the same issue with Kathryn. Because of the jaundice she did fall asleep in no time on my chest without eating enough. Therefore her gain weight also was low.

My midwife gave me the advice to let her eating 10-10 minutes on both side. After that express what left and if needed give it from the bottle while she is yellow.

I'd put him back on until you no longer hear any swallowing as he sucks. When he is extracting the thicker hindmilk, it's harder for him, so you might feel a few rapid sucks followed by the occasional swallow. Once these cease, you could try a few breast compressions and see if this gets him drinking rhythmically again - if not, the breast is likely well-drained, and if he hasn't detached on his own, you can switch him over. Hth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->