When to start dressing like a grown up?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
So I have just read an article about how all 20-somethings need to start dressing better, how 25 years old is too old for crop tops, etc. etc. I'm 25 in a year and a half, so, soon.. Should I start dressing like a grown up? And if yes then what are grown up clothes? I thought I dressed reasonably but am now having doubts. I mean, I cannot imagine any of my clothes on someone with wrinkles and grey hair. If anyone else asked this I'd tell them to wear whatever they like no matter their age, but I'm not overly confident and don't want to be dubbed as mutton dressed as lamb or anything equally awful! :haha:

Oh god I have no idea what grown up clothes are meant to be. I'm 28 this year and I pretty much live in jeans and t-shirts. My t-shirts generally have cartoon characters on them too, I was sporting a TMNT one the other day lol. And Converse are my go to footwear. I probably look like a big kid :shrug:

Glad it's not just me! My favourite outfit is a black cropped shirt and maxi skirt! Skirt sits high on my waist so there is only like an inch of skin but I am now freaking out that everyone else thinks it's inappropriate! :dohh:

I don't think you should worry, lots of young people (you're young!) are wearing crop tops and it's fine. You should dress yourself so you feel confident, maybe if you're feeling self conscious in a crop top then it's not right for you. If you feel good then that's what matters :)

I think I dress like a grown up, I'm 25. My clothes aren't boring but not too young looking. I don't really like anything that's in the shops at the moment and try to avoid the trendiest things (unless I really like them) as I think they just look cringey in a year or so

I started dressing like an adult when I got out of grad school and got a real job. Since I work 5 days a week, there is really not much point to have a separate wardrobe, so I dress like an adult most of the time. It just happens.

Gosh what is grown up. I live in jeans, t-shirt/jumper and trainers. I am 30 in October. I dress in practical stuff. I do have dresses and skirts and some flat shoes but generally am in what put above as I am sitting on floor or running about with lo lots. Mind you my mum who is in 50s where's simular

Have to say when I was working I was in smart stuff more, generally black trousers, flat shoes and generally smart v necked jumpers. I was primary school teacher so had to be practical so no heals, skirts don't work when you teach reception/yr 1 as was generally crouching or on floor lol

Oh god I have no idea what grown up clothes are meant to be. I'm 28 this year and I pretty much live in jeans and t-shirts. My t-shirts generally have cartoon characters on them too, I was sporting a TMNT one the other day lol. And Converse are my go to footwear. I probably look like a big kid :shrug:

I'm 29 and I dress like this too. Currently I'm wearing a t-shirt with a cat with huge sunglasses on and it says REBEL underneath. I also wear converse with volkswagen logos painted on the white bits. My OH says I need to "dress my age". Um, no...I dress how I feel comfortable. You will never catch me in a dress or leggings or whatever.

I don't quite know how a 29 year old is supposed to dress? I thought the general thing was you dress in whatever you feel comfortable?

Well I think when you hit 30s crop tops and short shorts look a bit tacky

In 35 , saw a girl I was at school with was in town thr other day, she had on the tinest shorts and top, 5 inch heals .. Even though she has an amazing figure she looked daft walking around town with her children.... Also if she was at a club then fine but I do think as you get older u can't get away with as much

I'm 27 and wear crop tops with high waisted bottoms (jeans, trousers, shorts). I just dress for my body shape and what I feel confident in. Never really thought whether i'm dressing 'grown up' or not :lol:.

I'm 25 and I still wear skinny jeans with pumps or converse (same as 16 lol) I have some crop tops, band tees, some funky tops.

I've always said I feel like a fake grown up. Our friends little boy called us grown ups and I kept telling him I wasn't!

I dress really grown up for work smart dresses blouses pencil skirts but out of work i dress quite young maybe skull tops and oversized tops. Id i had the stomach id wear a crop top no matter what age.

In 35 , saw a girl I was at school with was in town thr other day, she had on the tinest shorts and top, 5 inch heals .. Even though she has an amazing figure she looked daft walking around town with her children.... Also if she was at a club then fine but I do think as you get older u can't get away with as much

yeah I agree. I think once you hit 30s its so much harder to get away with wearing clothes that clearly look like they belong on teens and 20s. I used to shop in H&M, Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, etc, and I still do sometimes, but I'm finding it much harder now to find anything that looks like it would work on me now that I'm 30...I kind of feel like I'm trying to look younger by trying to wear those type clothes. My style has kind of adapted and changed after finishing my Masters Degree and starting working full time. A lot of my wardrobe doubles for work or every day, nice tops that can be worn with skinny jeans or with slacks to work. (or most of the time I wear scrubs to work, because that takes no effort at all, lol)

People should wear what they feel comfortable in. I usually wear jeans and a Tshirt. I wouldn't be comfortable in a crop top at all, I hate exposing too much!

I'm 27 and last summer I wore pinafore dresses and plimsoles with crop tops (long ones) under, also I wore cropped shirt with high waisted skinny jeans and I thought I got the balance just right.
I tend to wear casual maxi dresses and sandals or plimsoles.
Leggings and dresses/long bum covering vests and balllet pumps.
Leggings with denim shorts over and vests.
I don't wear jeans often because I got fed up wearing them when nursing ds and having to have tops to pull up.
In the winter I'll wear leggings and jumper dresses, or long sleeved long tops sometimes jeans or layer some of my summer stuff with cardi and boots.
I was saying to my mil that my age group is really hard to dress, things in the shops are either too young or too old.
I'm fairly girly so jeans and casual/logo t shirts aren't my thing - I think they can suit any age tbh.
Xx

I wear what i want and what i feel conformable it. I wouldnt let anyone/anything tell me otherwise

I love my TMNT t-shirt, I found it in Primark and was so happy :lol:
I'm kind of a jeans and t-shirt girl; although I do love long, flow-y hippy-ish skirts as well but I have no idea if I'm dressing "my age" (I'm 32) and to be honest I don't really think about it all that much.
I just say if I'm comfortable then that's all that matters.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Oh god no I didn't mean like that! I have this in black https://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/pro...e-button-crop-by-boutique-2653160?bi=1&ps=200 and wear it with a high waist skirt. I've never worn anything like the mentioned outfit. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's never been my style!

I've been having this problem too recently! I'm 28, and it seems like all of a sudden I'm old!!
It doesn't help that fashion these days is made for skinny people, a lot of it is tight fitting body con styles or really short.
I tend to wear skinny jeans/leggings with ballet pumps or boots in the winter, I wear t shirts or long blouses with them and a cardi. In the summer I have problems as my legs look horrible in shorts (I have had cellulite since I was about ten!). I'm really liking the patterned trousers that are about now.
I agree the whole fashion thing is becoming quite blurred, I see 50 and 60 yr old women (just judging by looking at them) that wear things I wouldn't wear. Some of them rock it, others look awful IMO

I love my TMNT t-shirt, I found it in Primark and was so happy :lol:
I'm kind of a jeans and t-shirt girl; although I do love long, flow-y hippy-ish skirts as well but I have no idea if I'm dressing "my age" (I'm 32) and to be honest I don't really think about it all that much.
I just say if I'm comfortable then that's all that matters.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I got mine from Primark too, along with a Harry Potter t-shirt! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"