When to start using cloth nappies?

Rachel_C

Reaction score
The other day, we were lazily talking about baby stuff and hubby asked what I was most looking forward to about having a baby. I was so relaxed that I didn't stop to think about the 'correct' answer (you know, holding her for the first time, getting to see who she looks like, the newborn baby smell etc) and I answered "Getting to put her in all the cute nappies I've bought". Hubby was a little surprised!!! Obviously I am looking forward to all the normal stuff but I'm really excited about the nappies too!

It made me think though and now I'm wondering when you would recommend starting to use cloth nappies? I've got quite a few different kinds but the majority of my stash are smart nappies. I only got the small size (6-13lbs) because I read that you can just go straight to them rather than using the newborn size (4-11lbs). I've got 8 outers and 16 pads for those, plus maybe 6 or so other types of nappy that are 6lbs+. The thing I'm worried about with the smart nappies is that the newborn ones apparently have a cut out bit for the tummy button but the small ones don't. If she's big enough (6lbs or more) do I need to wait for her tummy button to heal before using them then?

And also, I'm happy enough for the smart nappies to get filled with yukky newborn poos because they're boring anyway, but how long should I avoid using my pretty nappies to prevent excess staining?

I've got probably 5 packets of Pampers/Huggies newborn that I got free or in offers... now I'm wondering if I should buy some more eco-friendly disposables for the first few weeks. What do you think?

Thanks.

I think some of that is going to depend on how your feeding. For the first few days you'll get hideous black tar like poos that are set out to ruin anything and everything! Then, for a breastfeeder (i have no experience of formula so couldn't say) you'll have very runny poos they go brown orange yellow if i remember rightly. Personally i don't think i could of coped with using cloth nappies in the beginning as i was just so tired and mind on other things, some people do succesfully though.

I'm not sure about the cut out thing, i mean disposables nappies don't have the cut out so not sure cloth ones would make a difference ifykwim?

You will go through a fair few nappies to start with so i'd be prepared. The good thing though, if you do run out of disposables you can use the cloth, you're never going to be stuck!

I started on about day5 once the poo had changed from blacj to mustard. I had one pack of 27pampers newborn and another brand pack of 70newborn plus a few individual trial disposables and the hospital provided them when i was there until day3. even using disposables overnight I stil have 20 odd left.

i started when daisy was about 4 weeks old (ish) i would say it was the right time for us, we'd just about got into the baby routine (not that there was or is a routine) and i was feeling a little more like myself. on the smart nappy front i persinally wouldnt use them till the cord stump has dropped off as the smart nappies are a little less soft around the stump area than some other brands. also depending on how big your bubba is-daisy now weighs 9lb 1/2 oz and is wearing the small smart's and they are still a bit on the big side for her!!! i cant get both of the tapes done up and lying flat they have to poke up in the air against eachother - does that make sense?? i can post pics if you wanna see how the size fits on a bubba her size!!

hopw this helps a little hun

:hugs:

sara

xxxxxxx

Me, personally, I would use disposables for the first week or so. Because like the others have said you get the meconium poos which are REALLY sticky and black... I combination fed from the beginning and her poos were yellow and seedy for the first week or so too. If you FF, the iron in the formulas is what changes the poo to green and harder... I use low iron formula which is much easier on their tummys and her poo was still yellow.

Thanks ladies. I think I'll just wait and see how it goes, and see how big she is. Before I thought about the nappies, I was praying for a baby on the small side of average, but now I don't care about the birth, I just want her big enough to wear all the nappies I've got!!!

Yeah, I've got little lambs which say about 8lbs plus, so when Freya was born (6lb 6oz) it was a little while 'til we could use the cloth nappies. We prob started when she was about 4-6 weeks old, she wasn't 8lb but they were ok. :)

i cant get both of the tapes done up and lying flat they have to poke up in the air against eachother - does that make sense?? i can post pics if you wanna see how the size fits on a bubba her size!!

ahh I've just had another look at my smart nappies and I see what you mean about the tapes cos they can't overlap. I wonder if it'd be ok to sew on an extra piece of velcro on top of one of the tapes so they can be overlapped? I have some lying around somewhere. I could always wait till she's big enough but I'm far too impatient!

some pics would be great if you have them. I've never actually seen a smart nappy on a baby I don't think.

will do hun she's just feedin at the mo will take a couple once she's done! :thumbup:

sara

xxxxxxxx

I've used cloth since day one, we had some mothercare shaped terrys that I got for free from a lady on freecycle, and I found them no probs, all I did was line dry them so the poo stains where bleached out by the sun.

As for the cut out bits, we used newborn and just folded them down at the front for his belly button and made sure the wraps didnt come too high at the front.

I was wondering this too and have now pretty much decided to use eco disposables for the first week or 2, as I'll be BF too hopefully and that's hard enough!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->