When to stop working

Bloblo

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I literally just got my bfp today:happydance:
But already planning... i am lucky enough to live in a country where I can take 100%paid sick leave during full pregnancy.
If you were in the same situation, when would you inform your boss about pregnancy? And when would you start your sick leave?

CONGRATS on your BFP!!!

Bc of my Hx with pregnancies...I'm making sure I do the least amount possible and if my job ask to much of me then i would let them know soon. But Either way that's really great 100% pregnancy leave.

Congrats on your BFP! I'll tell work after my 12 week scan. I have a physically easy office based job and really flexible hours. I can work from home wherever I want and am usually only in the office 3 days a week. So no real need for anyone to know before then.

My first pregnancy I had a real sense I shouldn't work up until the end. I knew I'd be earlier rather than later. My last day was 36+5 and my daughter was born exactly a week later at 37+5. This time I don't plan to go into the office past 35+0 and will work from home instead. I have a really long commute (3 hours and 10 minutes each way on the days I'm in the office, which is why I'm not there every day). I don't want to be making that trip past 35 weeks. But I also don't want to stop work early either as I do want to actually use my maternity leave (I get a full year) for once baby arrives. Depending on how busy I am and how I feel, I'll probably work til 36 weeks or even 37. My job is project based and there's no maternity cover so what doesn't get finished before I leave just won't get finished and if we don't meet certain deadlines, I won't have a job to come back to as my role is totally externally funded. So it's in my best interest to get as much done as I can so I can enjoy my time off and relax. But I'll probably stop by 37 weeks at the latest.

My first pregnancy i worked till i went into labour. I would have gotten bored sitting at home

My job is quite stressful as im negotiating new contracts and mostly travelling to different countries at least 30% of time.
While its physically just an office job, and I normally thrive on the changing stressful environment- but I'm not sure what the impact can be on my baby.
I have great respect for women who work until the end, but i would only consider this if it had economic benefits. Since im super lucky to get paid leave for full pregnancy, it makes it a tricky decision.

I work 13 hr shifts in an ICU and don't plan on working any longer than I have to. So I'll most likely be starting my maternity leave a couple of months before I'm due. I've also just applied to work part time, which I really hope I get.

Congrats bloblo! So happy to see you got your BFP Hun!

Does time off during pregnancy affect how much time you get off with baby afterwards? If not then I say go off whenever you feel is right, why not? I'd happily not work right now but that's coz first tri is kicking my ass lol! But second tri I'm sure I'll feel better. If it involves a lot of travel I'd certainly see if that can be minimised until you stop working.
My job involves a lot of driving and lone working so me and my manager have discussed becoming just office based from around 5-6 months depending on how I'm finding things and I plan on using annual leave at around 34-35 weeks then maternity. But in my last pregnancy I went at 32 weeks because I had sciatica and I already have osteoarthritis of the spine so really it just depends how you get on.

When do you think you'd prefer to finish?

Hey bailey!! :hugs:
I get a yr off after giving birth regardless of whether or not i take sick leave now. I felt like hell today with hunger pangs and nausea (almost at the same time) and extreme tiredness so if this will continue then i think i want to start my leave righr now!
I also burped in an important meeting- never good...
I guess the only reason why im hesitant about leaving early is fue to being scared of miscarriage- i would not want to have to explain that to people at the office.
I can't consider part time since it will lower my average annual salary (on which maternity leave pay is based).
I guess I will wait at least a month and then decide.

Thanks for the input ladies!

Congrats on your bfp!!

I went into premature labor with both my kids and ended up giving birth early to both. My second baby was much better because he was born at 35+4 and only stayed in the hospital nursery (not nicu) for 10 days vs my 32 weeker who stayed for 5 weeks in the nicu.

I am self employed so I get to set up my own schedule and do not have to report to anyone if I take time off, but I still need to plan my budget. I plan to work up until I give birth or until I feel too uncomfortable to wake up early for work. Hopefully at least til September. I work at home, over the phone, so its not difficult work that requires standing.

I'm planning on working till about 39 weeks, might be 38 because I'll have a bit of holiday to take before I go.
I stopped working about 38 weeks with my son but I was bored all day when everyone else was at work lol, I used to work 8-6 everyday but now I only work part time hopefully it won't be as bad, I just want more time off once the baby is here

Hi bloblo... Congrats on your Bfp! I would really say it depends on how you feel.. Since you have the option, i wouldve preferred to be off work during ms. However as some others say if you take the whole 9 months off you might feel bored. If you can split the sick leave, you could always take parts of the 1st tri off and then stop working around 37-38 weeks again. Gl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->