Where am I going wrong??

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
My little boy is now 9 weeks old, I had a normal delivery but we were admitted back to hospital 2 days after his birth as he wasn't feeding well and just wouldn't wake up!

After 4 days in hospital and antibiotics we came home and got a lot better, at hospital he had lost 7ozs but since then has gained healthily, was born 8lb and weighed 13lb last week.

He is on gaviscon and colief for reflux and colic

He has always fed every 2-3 hours (closer to 2!) except at night it's probably every 3 hours. But the past couple of days iv felt he's not getting enough from me, he empties both boobs within 5-10 minutes and is looking for more so I let him Carry on suckling but he gets very fussy and stressed

Do I not have enough for him? What can I do or should I be topping him up with formula? x

He also got so fussy on one feed he pulled at my nipple and sort of tore it which was so sore but iv been feeding thru the pain!

You should ask your doctor about ways to improve supply. My doctor gave me 30 drops of the medicine I took during pregnancy for nausea, and after a few days my supply increased a lot. But since I had the same problem you had and my baby ended up in the NICU for dehidration, I don't risk it and supplement with formula (a bottle a day)

I tried to top him up with a bottle after he was suckling for 30 minutes but he only took less than an oz! x

He is probably trying to increase your supply forthe days ahead, like anticipating a growth spurt. Let him nurse even if he is a little frustrated and then try a pacifier. If you supplement with formula your body won't know that it needs to make more for him. Think supply and demand. Be sure to watch for right numbers of wet and dirty diapers.

hi Laurenmomma!

Is your baby's bowel movement still normal and he's gaining weight ok? If yes, I would not think that your milk supply is not enough. My DD also just fed 5-10 minutes during the first few months, she was exclusively breastfed and she grew up alright.
Maybe he is fussing because of something else? I would suggest that you have a chat with a Lactation consultant. Cheers.

My baby can empty my boobs quick and just likes to suckle to get to sleep! Maybe try a dummy and if he's hurt ur nipple get a nipple shield! My little girl did similar and I tried to feed through the pain...it just got worse! Also puttin squeezing a bit of ur own milk out and rubbin that over ur nipple then puttin vasolene on ur nipples can help after a feed! That's what I was advised in hospital it worked wonders!

The more baby feeds ur milk supply will increase so try not to worry too much but call doctor mid wife or health visitor for advise that's what they're there for xxx

I agree it doesn't sound like a supply issue, it does sound like a growth spurt babies do have them at random times, not always at the typical times listed on websites. You're not going wrong but this sounds like normal behaviour to me. At this point I wouldn't be taking anything to increase supply as if you don't have a genuine supply problem it could cause an oversupply problem xx

Thanks ladies :)
He hasn't been as bad today I do think it may be a growth spurt! So glad I never switched to formula! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->