Which Pool would you recommend?

Jims_Girl

Mum of Two~Teen&Baby
Reaction score
There are so many out there! Do you ladies have any recommendations?

I am looking at one which is wood panelled and hexagonal. It comes with water filtration and maintains the heat for the duration of the hire... Any thoughts?

I honestly wouldn't bother with hiring a fancy pants one, I was going to because I was worried about filling time, emptying, maintaining the heat etc etc but my birth pool in a box regular plus with all the accessories was fantastic! It took less than 2 hours to fill, maintained it's temperature throughout my labour and gave my DH something to do to feel useful!
I ended up transferring to hospital for the birth (needlessly in the end) but as it wasn't mega money I wasn't too upset but had I hired an expensive pool I would have been really miffed!
x

I was looking at those but to be honest (and this is going to sound mad) but I would worry
About having an inflatable one with my dog... She loves pools and water... She would of course be in another part of the house but if she did manage to sneak her way upstairs she'd be straight in! Potentially bursting the pool! Oh god the horror of being in labour and having 500 litres of water in my bedroom! lol

I wanted to see what you all suggest before going ahead :)

ive bought a la bassine one :) Its just like a big paddling pool, well padded and has handles inside.

Lol @ your dog although I doubt your dog would get in it's very deep. I was worried about the cat getting her claws in but she stated well aay, I think my labour scared her.

x

She would! Shes crazy! We used to have a pool in the garden, the ones that come up to your waist.... She was in it more than us! :)
La bassine ones do look so comfy!

She is lovely... But also a pain! She will even roll in a puddle walking to te shops if she can.... I have horses too so when she comes with me she will just head straight for the water trough and sit in it... Even in the middle of winter... A definate water baby!

I got one of the hexagonal ones for my first labour (from Birthworks: https://www.birthworks.co.uk/hexagonal-birth-pool.php ), as I was worried about our cat and an inflatable one! He scratches everything and the only place I had for a pool in my last flat was the living room, and I couldn't easily keep him out of there.

I posted a bit about hiring it and setting it up on the Home Birthers and Hopefuls thread last year. There are some photos:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-na...irthers-hopefuls-post5285602.html#post5285602

I didn't actually get to use it for the birth as I got transferred to hospital due to meconium in my waters, but as it was set up for a fortnight in advance I got plenty of use out of it. I listened to music, watched TV and listened to my hypnobirthing relaxations while in it and it was brilliantly relaxing. So I felt I got my money's worth!

It was great in my early labour too, before I got transferred. And it was big enough for my husband to get in with me too. Essentially you have a hot tub in your house.

This time I have gone for an inflatable La Bassine as I have enough room in my bedroom for it at our new flat, and can keep the cat out.

I also didn't want a filled pool up with my little boy around, as the hexagonal one I hired previously didn't come with a rigid lockable lid, just some polystyrene to float on top to retain a bit of heat. I would be panicking about him getting in it if it was set up for a couple of weeks.

I haven't fully tried out the Bassine yet, but we have inflated it and I sat inside it while it was empty. It seems very good, the floor is well padded and even without the buoyancy of the water I felt very comfortable. The sides also seem good and firm to lean on. It has less handles than the Birth Pool in the Box, but they seem well positioned. It came in a kit that Made in Water do with air pump, water pump, digital thermometer, lid, liner, debris net, and tarpaulin.

Hope that helps.

That's exactly the one I was looking at from birthworks... I think you have just eased any worries I did have - Thank you!
Did you find birthworks ok to deal with? I phoned them to enquire the other day... I asked if I should book now (24 weeks) she was a little vague and said if I wanted but she's pretty sure they will have them available when I want them...
The floaties are a great idea too - definitely get some of those :)
Thank you so much for responding to my post :)

i was going to recommend a birth pool in a box - they are great...... but your dog does sound mad! lol xxx

Birthworks were fine to deal with. Very efficient when arranging collection when we were done.

If you book 4 weeks then you get a 5th week free if you need it, so long as you let them know.

Glad my info helped.

This is my one :thumbup:

We managed to buy this one off of ebay. A lady had bought it off her hire company and wasnt going to be using it again.

Its set up all ready to go in the babies room. As it heats and filters theres no need to empty it so i can use it pretty much any time. Soooo relaxing! And its big enough for hubby n the kids too :happydance:

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
Lovely!! I never thought of setting it up in the babies room... That's such a good idea! I'll be giving that some thought....
I'm definitely going for one of those now...
Can you answer some questions for me please?
-Does it really stay warm enough?
-is it noisy?
-is it soft and padded inside?
-people have mentioned about by ceiling caving in but surely it would be the same as having ten people in my room and I'm sure my house can take that! Did you have to get a structural report or anything?
Probaly silly questions but hey ho :)
I'm really excited about it now!

That type stayed warm enough for me. The floating cover did keep a lot of heat in.

The noise is similar to a really quiet fan, or quiet air conditioning from what I remember. Certainly not distracting, especially once you have a CD or something on. It does whirl the water about a little as it filters it, which is quite nice!

They always say the stuff about the structural report in order to cover themselves. If you would be happy with a huddle of 10 large guys stood in the place at a party, then you should be OK!

My midwife mentioned that one of her other homebirthing couples put down 2 layers of boards under where the pool was going to go. The first lot laid at right angles to the direction to the floor boards, then the second layer of boards at right angles to that to try and spread the load across the joists and floor boards.

She also said old properties were generally fine, but she had been in some flimsier seeming new builds where she would have a little concern, but still not too much worry.

It seems a bit excessive to me, but if the floor is uneven or creaky, then some boards to spread the load might be an idea?

For me its definitely warm enough. And once in labour your not going to want it at its max setting. And the cover is a great bonus :thumbup:

I have a ground floor flat so 'going through the floor' isnt really an issue for me. :haha:

We got padded flooring for under the pool, this came with it. Personally i may put something extra under it but thats only as we have very thin carpeting down.

And the filter/heater isnt very noisy at all. Quite soothing actually.

Ladies - you have been a great help! Just phoned to book my in! Waiting for a call back shortly....
Thank you :)

Hi Ladies,
Im planning a homebirth and also have been looking at the hexagonal pool.Was wondering if anyone knows the length of the hoses that run from taps to pool as we are thinking of having the pool in the living room and the hose would need to stretch to the bathroom,as the kitchen taps are rubbish

Ive found this thread so helpful,thanks everyone

:dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back