Who DOESN'T do elf on the shelf and what are your reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got an elf but I have no idea what the rules are, it's not the traditional one it's a cute cartoon character one, I just thought it would be a bit of fun, and what's nice is DH has got into it, he doesn't usually get all that excited about Christmas but this is something he's got into which is nice to see! We don't do anything elaborate, on Sunday he brought the Christmas tree out from under the stairs, yesterday he brought the advent calendars out and today he had packed DS's nursery bag, we don't tell him he's being watched and he doesn't do naughty stuff. But tbh DS doesn't even seem to be acknowledging it and isn't fussed, so I'm not sure if it's something we will keep up because if he's not buying into it then I do worry that like some others have said it might make Santa a little less believable. But we'll see how we go, I think we're being too boring with it which is why DS isn't noticing :haha:

my LO's school are doing an elf!
he had stuck reindeer noses (red pom poms) onto the kids photos today.
rather them than me lol!

We do the elf but only for fun. I don't follow any rules and he doesn't really report back to Santa. He is bringing a few gifts every once in awhile and that is about it. I don't like the naughty/nice thing so we don't do that either.

I'd like to do it but my son wouldn't be able to understand it. Maybe in a few years (he's a year old developmentally).

I'm the type of person who starts a project and doesn't finish it so maybe I shouldn't do elf on the shelf :rofl:

When I do it I'm not going to say that the elf reports back to Santa. It's just going to be a bit of fun.

I'm being really lazy and our theme for this year is "where did Buddy fall asleep?" lol! Last night had a busy night going back to the North Pole and fell asleep on the sofa. I'm so imaginative :haha:

I would have liked to do the Elf on the Shelf this year but I never got around to buying one.

I wouldn't do the reporting back/good/bad etc. I like the idea of the Elf getting up to mischief every night. However, I can see me running out of imagination and motivation after a few days....plus I am not sure Joshua would actually be bothered by it. He stated last week that "there is no Santa, he is made up."

Another too lazy here, and we have advent calendar pixies and advent calendar books, so can't handle another thing to do!

I tried to do it this year but Adam was having non of it!:wacko:

I told him the elf had brought his advent calendar and PJs to which he replied "no he didn't, now take that elf back to the shop!":dohh: What could I say? Lol

I tried to do it this year but Adam was having non of it!:wacko:

I told him the elf had brought his advent calendar and PJs to which he replied "no he didn't, now take that elf back to the shop!":dohh: What could I say? Lol

LOL! :rofl:

Seen this on FB. Might give people some inspiration.....

https://dontpkethebear.com/22-naughty-things-the-elf-on-a-shelf-is-doing-while-youre-not-home/

1. Bc I am jewish and I celebrate Hanukkah
2. I think the whole conception of you better be nice to get your presents is overdone. I agree kids should behave. but I don'twant them to think that if they are bad just one day they get nothing.
3. I am not a big fan of commercial ideas of this holiday season.
4. I would rather they learn about the 8 days of Hanukkah
5. There is more important lessons to be learned like the gift of giving to others.

Can I ask more about Hanukkah?
Christmas is really about the birth of Jesus (although the bible doesn't give a date) Easter is about his death and timing relates to passover and the moon.
What is Hanukkah? When is it celebrated?

Sorry if this comes across offensively but I'm just being curious.

https://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/hanukkah.htm and it starts december 16th. through december 24th.
that should give you the jift of what it is about.

I don't like the official idea, I don't agree with the constant survelliance idea, dislike the look of the original one - and some of the pranks seem quite mean-spirited imo.

I've looked into the kindness elves and I'm going to try a variant of that for this year for the first time. They are lovely, well-made items and I've got an elf door for the wall.

I like the idea of them suggesting activities and so forth each morning, and just harmless play around the house for your child to find. Ideas like finding them making a snow angel out of icing sugar on the side, or a zipline down from the tree.

I think it's a really lovely way to encourage imagination and by leaving simple notes in the morning it should help with him learning to read. And of course he'll get to play with them, as long as he puts them back in their place before bed each time. I think we'll treat it as the elves having a holiday break with us rather than anything to do with his behaviour or monitoring. :thumbup:

1. I didnt do it as a child and lived
2. I dont know what it does, and have been too lazy to look it up
3. The elf looks creepy as f***

We are doing it for the first and only year. There is no lies, no not touching just a little bit of childhood innocent magic. Gabriella is loving it.

Take last night for instance her elf was driving a sleigh with her ponies and a chocolate reindeer for her to eat.

Tonight we went to Aldi and Gabriella went up to the shop assistant and asked her if she had seen an elf buying a chocolate reindeer, it was so sweet and innocent, we are doing for a little bit of fun not as a behaviour bargaining tactic and we and all his followers on Facebook are loving it.

1. I didnt do it as a child and lived
2. I dont know what it does, and have been too lazy to look it up
3. The elf looks creepy as f***

:haha: This is me all over!

Truthfully, I don't do it because I can't be arsed! I am busy enough with a colicky newborn and a toddler that won't. stop. touching. the. damn. baubles ;)

I do love seeing everyone else's pics though :)

I don't do it because after 8 years of no elf my DD1 would think there was something fishy going on lol she's already questioning santa (thanks to older kids at school) so don't think it would work, plus dd2 who is 2 is scared of absolutely everything including her fingers so don't think she would take kindly to it either lol xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"