Who DOESN'T do elf on the shelf and what are your reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know lots of kids who are afraid of Santa and him coming into the house. Ive told my LO we have had words with him and he has agreed to stay downstairs. I dont think its that unusual that a kids wouldnt want a stranger going into their bedroom during the night. I think he is worried he would wake and see him in the room.

I don't like idea of telling daughter she is being watched. She is going to misbehave at some point this month, she is 3 lol and I want to teach her to make decisions herself rather than threat of elf reporting back to father Christmas. My daughter got advent calendar this morning and gave her a Christmas activity book which we have been doing together plus can't be bothered with the creative part of elf getting in mischief. My son is to young to appreciate

We still have trouble with the idea of Santa coming into our house the idea of something coming alive everynight and running about the house would make him uncomfortable in his own house.

Really? Kids have innocent minds so its unlikely they'd associate a stranger in the house with anything bad like an adult would.

My daughter is terrified of the thought of Santa coming in to our house . .. We tell her that daddy meets him outside!! Nothing we have ever said or done, just the thought terrifies her.

Another one not doing elf in the shelf because I just cant be bothered lol!

Actually yeah lots of kids are scared of santa in general!

I don't do it, don't really see the need for it and ,for me, it's a step too far.

I also work full time days, OH full time nights and with two kids, housework, cooking and the generally busyness of december just don't have the time or energy.

i don't think the whole concept sets a good example, this elf gets up to all this mischeif at night, things my kids would be told off for like making mess, however if the kids are naughty he goes and tells tales to santa.
i know my oldest would try to copy the naughty things the elf did!

i've heard of people doing kindness elves that would send out a better message

I'm starting a kindness fairy thing this year. I couldn't find an elf I liked so I went with a fairy, lol. She brought them a book today and will suggest ways they can spread kindness throughout the month to other people (baking cookies for neighbors, making gifts for people, making donations, cleaning up litter, etc.). I don't like the idea of a mischief causing elf like leoniebabey said above, my 7 year old would likely get the entirely wrong message and end up trying to pull pranks like the elf. Plus I'm also one of those people that finds the name-brand elf creepy.

I actually thought about buying one this year and then just making a fun game of hiding him once my LO was asleep and then having her look for him in the morning.

I think the idea of him watching and reporting back to Santa is kind of awful, actually, so I'd never do that. We don't emphasize the naughty/nice thing anyway.

I don't agree with the naughty/nice thing, so we don't do it. Rory's new childminder does Elf on the Shelf though, and she does it so the elf is staying with them just for fun instead of to report back, and I think that's quite fun and harmless. The kids love it! I've never heard of the not touching the elf though? That seems odd.

Ds1 only has a basic understanding of x mas
It seems like another thing to buy
I don't quite understand it
We keep x mas basic for reason 1
Its only really popped up a few years ago..
We don't go huge on x mas docs anyway, we only have tree up, that's enough for us tbh

I think I will do it next year, for me my kids are to young yet to get elf on the shelf, my own opinion... they are 4 and 1.5

We don't do it mainly because I can't be bothered I have too much going on throughout December plus I'm not creative at all so wouldn't come up with anything exciting!

I do love it though, I love seeing other peoples pictures!

I'm doing an elf this year for the first time.

My elf isn't naughty (who would really want to teach their kids to cover the tree in toilet paper?) and doesn't report back to santa. My elf is here for a holiday now most of the toys are made and that santa will pick him up when he comes through on Christmas eve.

My son happily believes that toys can move , he loves toy story, and I really doesn't take up that much time unless you want it to. It took me 1 minuet to set up this last night. We both have busy and demanding jobs so it's a chance for me to have some christmas fun with my kids in the very limited time we get during the working week.

Btw I also agree the official elf is creepy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 19
I agree with Kay_Baby, for us the elf thing in the morning is a lovely way to start an otherwise busy day with us at work and LO in nursery, we don't get much time together during the week. Especially DH, he works 7 days a week during December, the only day he gets off his xmas day itself, and LO is usually in bed by the time he gets home. So it's a way for him to join in the festive fun for once, instead of missing it all. I've set the alarm 15 minutes earlier so we have extra time to enjoy it - this was his little face yesterday morning when he saw buddy had brought him a little treat!

rps20141202_094143.jpg

I don't think its magical at all and think kids will clock onto this sooner. My kids would know it was fake bt still belive in santa. Dont want to jeopardise that. Plus elves are never seen ;)

I bought an elf on the shelf this year, don't stick to any rules, my DD is only 2 1/2. The elf just hides somewhere different every morning as a game and he does silly things and brings her a little gift on some of the days e.g he brought her advent calender, got some christmas books for him to bring her and a christmas activity set. Everything is commericalised at christmas now but who cares when it brings so much joy to her little face! She loves finding him in the morning and it always makes her laugh when she sees what he's up to. Its just a bit of fun, no need to take it so serious.

1. Bc I am jewish and I celebrate Hanukkah
2. I think the whole conception of you better be nice to get your presents is overdone. I agree kids should behave. but I don'twant them to think that if they are bad just one day they get nothing.
3. I am not a big fan of commercial ideas of this holiday season.
4. I would rather they learn about the 8 days of Hanukkah
5. There is more important lessons to be learned like the gift of giving to others.

1. Bc I am jewish and I celebrate Hanukkah
2. I think the whole conception of you better be nice to get your presents is overdone. I agree kids should behave. but I don'twant them to think that if they are bad just one day they get nothing.
3. I am not a big fan of commercial ideas of this holiday season.
4. I would rather they learn about the 8 days of Hanukkah
5. There is more important lessons to be learned like the gift of giving to others.

Can I ask more about Hanukkah?
Christmas is really about the birth of Jesus (although the bible doesn't give a date) Easter is about his death and timing relates to passover and the moon.
What is Hanukkah? When is it celebrated?

Sorry if this comes across offensively but I'm just being curious.

Not doing it this year bc lo is too young, but will do a version of it when she's older. I think it looks fun. I won't do the official elf and book though bc we don't do the whole naughty /nice, Santa is watching, thing at Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"