Who goes on sunbeds/tanning beds?

PinkCupcake

MMC - 12 weeks
Reaction score
Hello ladies.. :flower:

Well i've got my sisters big yearly party coming up on saturday but it doesn't start until late afternoon.. I am light skinned and normally wear spray tan and it used to give me an all over coverage which it doesn't do anymore, just patches, even if I use a ex-foliating glove beforehand.. Well I managed to brown myself a little bit earlier on but it's still quite patchy and it's such effort to keep doing it especially when it looks horrible so i'm wondering whether I should get a sunbed tomorrow for 5 or 10 minutes then another one maybe saturday morning for another 5 or 10 minutes? Will it leave me looking any different than before though? I do have a bit of spray tan on at the moment as I said so i've got a base colour already. I really don't want to see all these people who i've not seen in a long time looking like a snowman lol :dohh:

Honestly? Two sessions will make no difference hun. Save your money to have your nails or hair done instead :) Stick with your fake tan and I'm sure you'll look fab!

Please stick to the fake tan, nicer looking results anyway :)

thanks ladies.. that's the thing at the moment though, i'm really not getting nice results from the fake tan, for some reason. Certain parts of my body just won't turn brown even after really scrubbing all the dead skin off. Booked a spray tan for half 5 this evening which she could bearly fit me in for so i'm lucky. :)

Sweetie, I mean this in the nicest possible way...but sun tanning beds really increase your risk for melanoma. I should know, my dad is dying in my living room right now suffering from a horrible and incurable cancer.

Melanoma isn't something that just affects your skin, FYI. When it does hit the other organs...it hits hard and fast and there is little to nothing you can do about it.

My dad used sun tanning beds and now he has 10+ brain, lung, adrenal glands, liver, skin, and possible spine tumors. He won't live more than 3 months past his initial diagnosis. He's weak, can't see, has skin cancer tumors in his anus that make using the bathroom an awful experience, and I'm sure now wishes he hadn't tanned.

Fake tans are the way to go!

I sunbed twice a week - and two sessions won't really make any difference Hun. I know what you mean tho, I HATE fake tan xxxx

I ended up getting a spray tan yesterday which is okay but they go so patchy after you get them done where you're so sticky and horrible! I had a bath to try and even it out but it's still not great and the bath took the intensity of the colour away :( I am really wanting to get a couple of sunbeds a week so the tan is actually on ME, so then i'm not sticky like i am when i get a spray tan! But the lady above ^ has made me really paranoid, bless her dad :(

If you've never used sunbed before and your light skinned then you do not want to be going on for 10 mins twice a week!!! In fact, if you're going to do it, you want to start with just one session a week at most.
There is no denying that sunbeds increase your chances of skin cancer (which ultimately can spread to the rest of your body) so deffo think about it :thumbup:

Gunnhilde that was a very brave post thank you for sharing xx

I used to use sunbeds..ridiculously. I had no regard for the risks. I do now. Im constantly checking moles as I have loads and freaking out about what damage I have done.

Pinkcupcake id put money on that you would look gorgeous with no tan anyway :hugs:

I was at a family function yesterday and my whole family (30+) are going on holiday next year. The subject of sunbeds came up, and my aunt was telling me that she's hiring a sun bed two months before we go away so she can get a base tan, otherwise she'll burn. I was really up for it a couple of weeks ago but i'm not so sure now. It's really worried me after some of the things i've heard.. The thing is, I really don't want to get into a bikini when i'm white, in my opinion nothing is worse :( Just trying to think what I can do to create a base tan besides spray tans or self tans because they go streaky in chlorine without a doubt, and they go patchy after a few days anyway. I wish there was something that tanned your actual skin like sun beds do, without the risks! :shrug:

I was at a family function yesterday and my whole family (30+) are going on holiday next year. The subject of sunbeds came up, and my aunt was telling me that she's hiring a sun bed two months before we go away so she can get a base tan, otherwise she'll burn. I was really up for it a couple of weeks ago but i'm not so sure now. It's really worried me after some of the things i've heard.. The thing is, I really don't want to get into a bikini when i'm white, in my opinion nothing is worse :( Just trying to think what I can do to create a base tan besides spray tans or self tans because they go streaky in chlorine without a doubt, and they go patchy after a few days anyway. I wish there was something that tanned your actual skin like sun beds do, without the risks! :shrug:

There is no such thing as a risk free tan other than out of a bottle.
You have to weigh up the risks against looking white in your bikini. For a lot of people the risks aren't worth it and some may say you're mad to risk your health for the sake of having a tan before your holiday. But at the end of the day it's your choice and no-one should criticise you for making that choice.

I do agree with babyerin though. You probably look gorgeous without a tan :)

I've got bottle tan on in my pic, and to me it just looks horrid! :dohh:

Either way though, with or without factor 50 sun block, I will burn .. and then turn a bit brown for a while so it's alright I suppose. I'll have to see if there's anything you can buy that prepares your skin for a tan, like a pre-tan cream (if there's such thing?!) So I hopefully catch the sun quicker and turn brown quicker :)

i still cant fathom why tanning seems more important than health?

it has never made any sense to me

i have never looked at a person in my life and thought, oh they could have done with a tan :shrug:

All sun/uv exposure is going to be the same. A base tan doesn't help you not burn.

As part of this melanoma process we are going through with my dad, we've been encountering people who died from it in their 20s and 30s as well. It seems that sometimes it hits earlier for some people. :shrug:

Honestly, from one person with British genes to another, you are not meant to tan - you live on an island and at a latitude with minimal sun. Your body is not designed to safely handle excess sun/uv. In your head, you need to convince yourself "Hey, I'm supposed to look this way (British and pasty) and I love that." FYI here in America (in my town full of British and Scandinavian ex-pats) where we/I go to the beach every day, everybody is pale (because they actually use sunblock!) and even the kids wear full shirt/short bathing suits to block out the UV.

Suzi, tanning isn't more important than my health which is why i'm trying to find an alternative, especially for my holiday :thumbup:

And yeah I guess us brits are meant to be this way, but it's just so annoying! there's pale, and then there's me.. and i'm more than pale without tan, i actually look so scary like a ghost! there's not much i can do about it but it's annoying how sunbeds actually run these risks :growlmad:

x

i really didnt mean that directed at you, it was more of a general thing, as so many people nowadays wont go out without a tan lol

Some people don't think about the health risks because it's the same with most things, they think it will happen to other people and not them. I was really up for a sunbed but i've been so put off but I guess it's for the best because you are so right! as long as you've got your health, you've got everything, so a tan can go do one!!

:) x x

There was actually a article released.last week about fake tan damages the skin too JSYK.

Ive never used a sun bed in my life nor do I want to and I think Ive used false tan twice (bought in tesco a while back half price and never used tan in my life so i decided to give it a go) :blush:

I dont see the reason why people want a tan :shrug:

anyway Im sure the thing Im about to tell you is prob alot worse than a sunbed but I have a friend on FB and she is a dancer in clubs. She uses some sort of tanning injections. I know she injects them into her stomach and said she gets a lovely tan off them. Why anybody would want to INJECT themselves in the stomach for a tan is beyond me :wacko:

Im sure you will look fab without false tan, just go natural with minimum makeup and you will be fine hun, everybody loves a natural look every now and then :hugs:

:flow: xxx

My DF used to treat skin cancer until he passed it over to his colleague. He used to have many young patients, from 18 up really. It's very sad, and once it's caught late it spreads so quickly.
As for spray tanning etc, there was an article in which scientists said they've tested the chemicals in popular spray tanning and they've found certain ones which are known to cause cancer. They haven't tested it out on a human or anything though, just researched the chemicals. So I guess that isn't as safe as we thought it was, but what is!
Sun beds are very dangerous though, i'd stay very clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->