Why are people suppose to feel guilty for bottle feeding?

MustangGTgirl

#3 Due in April 2012!
Reaction score
I am curious as to why us bottle feeding mommies are suppose to automatically feel guilty for bottle feeding? I know all of the stigma about breast is best or whatever and I don't doubt that one bit but formula isn't like some third world country crap that causes babies to be sick and malnourished so why should I feel guilty? I have bottle fed all of my kids and they are all well and thriving. They never get sick, my 3 year old is incredibly smart, my 9 year old is in gifted and talented program at school, and there is not a single thing wrong with them.

I was bottle fed formula and I had a 4.0GPA in high school and also have a 4.0GPA in college and I am in an honor's society as well so I would say I am extremely smart as well.

I never EVER feel guilty for bottle feeding my babies in public, ever, and I won't let anybody make me feel guilty either. The reason I didn't breast feed is because I didn't want my breasts to get tore up from it. Am I being selfish? Maybe... but it's my body and my choice just like they say about women who have abortions or whatever... their body, their choice!

Besides that, I don't feel comfortable popping a boob out in the middle of Walmart to feed my baby. I know that it should be acceptable to do that but I just don't want people looking at me like I am weirdo or gross or something because I am breastfeeding in public. I personally have nothing against a woman breastfeeding in public, I have seen enough boobs in my life that it doesn't bother me in the slightest but as weird as it is, I don't want other people seeing MY boobs in public. I don't even care if my sons see another woman's boobs while breastfeeding her baby because boobs are not a big deal to me. I have been known to walk around topless after a shower or whatever in my house when my kids are home so no, it's not a big deal to me.

But why is it such a big deal for me to bottle feed my baby? I am so tired of the bad stigma it carries!!

OMFG just no! Seriously, there is a section called news and debates, where things are meant to stay less personal. Maybe this would be better there.

Its like opening a can of worms.

I didn't know we were :shrug:

Well apparently we are suppose to. I hear and see it all the time on this forum especially... that breastfeeding is best and if you don't you are somehow less. I just read a thread in this sub forum where 2 women said there were ashamed to bottle feed their babies in public which is what got me thinking about this.

Well I know where this thread will go.

If you are happy with your decision then you shouldnt feel guilty right? it really dosnt concern any one but you and your child. Some woman do feel guilty they couldnt give the best to their child thats just the way it is but no one can make you feel something you dont feel. On the other hand a lot of breastfeeding mums are made to feel like shit for their choices to.

Did you mean to put this here? Because this will turn into a debate haha!

For the record, I FF through choice from birth. I don't feel bad at all because it's just that : my choice. What's there to feel bad about? People can only make you feel bad if you allow them, and personally I take the laughing approach at people who try preach and make others feel bad :)

OMFG just no! Seriously, there is a section called news and debates, where things are meant to stay less personal. Maybe this would be better there.

Honestly it shouldn't cause people to go crazy. We are all grown ass women and should be able to have a discussion without somebody getting their feelings hurt. I don't have anybody in real life to talk to about things like this, I would expect on the internet I should be able to have discussions without people getting upset and crying about it :dohh:

I didn't know we were :shrug:

Well apparently we are suppose to. I hear and see it all the time on this forum especially... that breastfeeding is best and if you don't you are somehow less. I just read a thread in this sub forum where 2 women said there were ashamed to bottle feed their babies in public which is what got me thinking about this.

You know this is going to cause a war. And you also know breastfeeding woman get told to move while feeding in public to. Maybe if you had a problem with them to say it to them and not ask here? its just going to go to a debate and get nasty.

For the record, I FF through choice from birth. I don't feel bad at all because it's just that : my choice. What's there to feel bad about? People can only make you feel bad if you allow them, and personally I take the laughing approach at people who try preach and make others feel bad :)

I didn't know there was another section for this kinda thing actually but I didn't want to put it in the pregnancy section because of all the raging hormones...lol.

I know I said on the thread about the alcohol style baby bottles that I didn't wanna draw attention to the fact that I bottle feed but I didn't mean that people should feel guilty, it's just how I feel personally. I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Honestly i've never understood this.

So many women on here make those bottle feeding feel like they're poisoning their child or something and its complete bollocks.

If it were that bad, society wouldn't sell it :dohh:

Honestly it shouldn't cause people to go crazy. We are all grown ass women and should be able to have a discussion without somebody getting their feelings hurt. I don't have anybody in real life to talk to about things like this, I would expect on the internet I should be able to have discussions without people getting upset and crying about it :dohh:
Thats a bit harsh when its a sensitive subject for woman who really wanted to breastfeed and couldnt.

So many women on here make those bottle feeding feel like they're poisoning their child or something and its complete bollocks.

Where has that ever happened here?:wacko:

Thats a bit harsh when its a sensitive subject for woman who really wanted to breastfeed and couldnt.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant that it was suppose to be a discussion and not something to hurt anybodies feelings :)

I didn't know there was another section for this kinda thing actually but I didn't want to put it in the pregnancy section because of all the raging hormones...lol.

Haha we have news and debates :thumbup:. But tbh wherever you post it on here, somebody WILL eventually get offended and world war 3 WILL break out. Sad, but it's the truth!

On various threads i've seen it. Not necessarily in GS. You know those FF vs BF threads that always get closed? I've seen it a lot in them.

I've never felt guilty for bottle feeding Alfie, I did it through choice and I'm happy with my decision. :thumbup: xx

Okay, no this sort of discussion has never ended well
Yes people do get hurt
Yes I have read on here before people comparing FF to poison
Someone will cry!

Trust me, seen it all before

On various threads i've seen it. Not necessarily in GS. You know those FF vs BF threads that always get closed? I've seen it a lot in them.

I seen in it the past but not in a long time here. Last one we had here went great no one was nasty and seemed to turn a new leaf. Not all breastfeeding mums look down on formula feeding mums, just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->