Why can't I poo?

reallytinyamy

Mum and step mum
Reaction score
Sorry I'm sure there'll be TMI here. I apologise in advance! :blush:

I can't poo! I've been constipated before (lots as I have IBS) but this is different. I feel like I am desperate to go and it hurts but when I go to the loo not so much as a fart (so sorry)
Its horrible. Midwife sugeested lactulose. Has anyone used it?

u could aslo just try natural fibre , tho with your ibs i dont know if it will make it worse, like oatmeal , bran etc.. also sometimes a cup of coffee helps!

I had constipation for a few days over the weekend and beginning of this week, felt like i needed to go and was so bloated and lathergic, i just ate loads of fruit,veg, fresh Orange and that seemed to do the trick. I had been contemplating buying something over the counter, obviously for pregnant ladies, but didn't need to in the end!

I've been having a lot of constipation. I think if you feel you need to go but can't then it's probably because your stools are too hard to pass (I've had this too - TMI) & lactulose is a laxatve which helps soften your stools but stopping your body removing so much water from them.

I didn't think it was used normally in pregancy but if your midwife suggests it then it must be fine.

I had constipation as well. Drinking plenty of water, eating lots of fiber, and exercise helped me. If that doesn't work for you maybe you could try a preggo safe laxative.

When I am constipated I get on the toilet, bend over like I'm trying to touch my toes, and rock back and forth. It sounds weird, but it helped me!

I hope you feel better soon.

Try eating dried prunes and drinking water at the same time...that worked for me.

Constipation is a very normal and predicatable part of a lot of pregnancies. The progesterone that is cycling through your system, loosening your joints, relaxing your veins for the increase in volume soon to come (welcome - varicose veins), also slows your bowels, hence constipation.

All the above are great hints, and healthy. Also, because we tend to eat a lot of smaller meals a day when normally I ate one or two healthy ones, changed my digestive cycle quite a lot.

Don't be afraid of things like Metamucil... you mix with water. Take it morning and night. It is a bulking agent and, will help regulate you if you are constipated or loose. :headspin: And it will help move things along so there isn't so much discomfort.

Hi I'm having this same issue - I've been constapated for a few weeks now!! When it started I bought some Prune juice and drank a glass morning and night - all I found with this was really bad wind and stomach cramps :( early last week I phoned my Midwife cuz I was in so much pain and discomfort and she told me that you can take laxitives - in severe cases like this as the only reason they don't like you taking them is because it can irratate the cervix! I took two Senekot and guess what?! didn't help one little bit :( I phoned her back a couple of days later and she told me to try Dulcolax, which I did for 2 days, and guess what?! again that didn't help!! :( :( she then suggested Glycerin Suppositories, not nice but given the discomfort I'm in I'll try anything, so I have been using them for the past couple of days, so far had some movement! very minimal tho :( and today I had some bleeding (from the back door - sorry to be so graphic :( )

I'm really really really miserable with this and am totally fed up with how I'm feeling, I eat well, drink plenty and have lots of fibre in my diet! so it must just be down to pregnancy - but how can I stop it? or at the very least help it??

wb x

Unfortunately its just a pain in the butt... (excuse the pun) of early pregnancy. Around 2nd tri it seemed to go away for me... But now in 3rd tri... It seems like it is slowly coming back. I was really regular for most of 2nd tri..and not so much now. Make sure you check with your doc about anything you take... I took metamucil...but they said not to take laxatives unless absolutely necessary. I was miserable for a while... Sorry girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->