why do some people say brought instead of bought?

personally i dont think its nice to be calling people out on how they spell or talk. Not everybodys first language is english and who are we to judge. These arent official documents and people like to short form or type like they dont care. And they shouldnt care. You guys arent teachers and arent here to correct people and make them feel bad for maybe not knowing how to spell

My biggest bugbear is when people say generally instead of genuinely :growlmad:

I don't understand why some people write lol at the end of a sentence that isn't humorous :shrug:

personally i dont think its nice to be calling people out on how they spell or talk. Not everybodys first language is english and who are we to judge. These arent official documents and people like to short form or type like they dont care. And they shouldnt care. You guys arent teachers and arent here to correct people and make them feel bad for maybe not knowing how to spell

Nobody is trying to make anybody feel bad. It's just a lighthearted thread that's gone off the original point. Nobody means to offend and we're just having a bit of banter and fun. It should be taken this way. We are just referring to what annoys us when it comes to language. It's perfectly innocent and a conversation I would have with my friends despite having both foreign and dyslexic friends but they wouldn't take any offence to it.

The thread was perfectly innocent and has managed this long without someone being offended until your post (minus the thick comment) and I think it could stay lighthearted and unoffensive too.

My biggest bugbear is when people say generally instead of genuinely :growlmad:

I don't understand why some people write lol at the end of a sentence that isn't humorous :shrug:

My OH says generally instead of genuinely lol it annoys me too. But I say things wrong that annoy him so we tend to let each other off a lot of the time or start pointing out each others flaws x

Yes I'm the same!! I get phrases wrong.
EG "he's really shot himself in the foot." Well I'll say something like, "he's really shot himself in the arm" :haha:

Love this thread!

My biggest peeve is when people say "then she turned around and said..." I always want to say "why did she have her back to you?"

I do think a lot of spelling can be blamed on predictive text though, I always submit my reply without checking!

Bristolians when they say "ideal" instead of "idea"

why?? i mean..... WHY??

I would use omg ect except I'm always on my phone and would rather type it out than battle with autocorrect :-/ also when I type a long post on my phone it always has lots of mistakes(wrong key pressed usually not spellin) but I can't be bothered to try and get back to it to fix it

When I mentioned the Omg thing I ment when people say it out loud. I type it. I just don't want anyone thinking I'm a snob or something and don't like it when people write short hand. Cuz I write short hand all the time :)

Haha oh I always have a giggle when I hear someone say omg or the like out loud.I though you meant writing it down!

Please don't be offended. This thread is by no means ment to make people feel bad. So far everyone has taken this with a pinch of salt and found it fun. Even though I do a lot of these things people have commented about I'm not offended. We know we are not teachers and we are not trying to teach people how to talk. I spell definitely wrong, well not anymore :) I really hope this thread can stay light hearted. And I'm sorry if I did offend you, or anyone else.

Love this thread!

My biggest peeve is when people say "then she turned around and said..." I always want to say "why did she have her back to you?"

I do think a lot of spelling can be blamed on predictive text though, I always submit my reply without checking!

Hee hee. I say that!! :happydance:

i have a friend who constantly says brought instead of bought and it really irritates me. I think it may be a regional thing and she says it because her husband does and he is from out of the area. Or there again, it could just be ignorance of learning to speak properly lol :p
and as for the 'turned round and said saga' this is probably the most annoying sentance i could imagine hearing, i often think (and occasionally out loud) that there must be a lot of dizzy people out there turning round and saying things all the time!! lmao

Bringing=brought. Buying=bought.

Same as your and you're. grrrrrr

I have a friend who says "happy as a Larry"... and "going full tit" as opposed to full tilt, and "full bull" instead of full bore! lol

I am an accountant and therefore talk about finance related things quite a bit. It winds me up when people at work use borrow/lend interchangeably, rather than in their proper context.

When telling a story my sil says, 'She must have said' and says what someone actually said. Why use the word must. She either said it or if didn't!

I am an accountant and therefore talk about finance related things quite a bit. It winds me up when people at work use borrow/lend interchangeably, rather than in their proper context.

My OH does this! It used to bug me, but now I'm used to it.

the one i HATE is 'brang'. as in 'i brang it to work'

no you effing didnt!!!! lol

This has got to be one of my bug bears! I didn't do exceptionally well at school, but for crying out loud, the words are TWO different words with two DIFFERENT meanings! It can't be a regional, accent, pronunciation thing?!

I know on facebook, forums, text etc punctuation and grammar shouldn't really matter - it's just second nature to me to type correctly though (unless it is a text message that I shorten) did people just not concentrate properly at school?

And another thing! "I aint got none" if you haven't got 'none' then you must have something... they mean I haven't got any :wacko:

Innit! :haha:

Lol. I don't have time to read the whole thread as got to go get my son from school.

Love it though - I also have a friend who says "brought" incorrectly. I'm constantly correcting people who get borrow & lend mixed up. My son asks me if he can lend a tenner - I say "who are you going to lend it to?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->