why do some people say brought instead of bought?

I never type it but I say it sometimes. It really annoys me when people make grammatical errors when speaking but this is one of those times when I'm guilty of it myself. But it bugs me too lol. It's just because of where I was brought up. We pronounce tongue tong instead of tung. We pronounce scone skon instead of s-cone.

It's just a regional thing. But I live in yorkshire now and it does my head in the way people say certain things around here but it's just where we're from. I also pronounce it barrowed instead of borrowed lol. That annoys my OH but it's where I'm from and although a p*ss myself off doing it I can't help it sometimes lol x

I have soooooo wanted to start this thread on more than one occasion! Im sure its a regional thing.

Q. What have you brought for baby so far
A. Nothing, I havent brought anything. Ive bought shitloads but no brought a thing.....

ok that makes no sense in Canada either. im so confused by that statement. lol

e.g If you went to the shops for some cereal you would say "I bought some cereal today" BUT some people say "I brought some cereal today".

I say set too. I say scone rhymes with torn/mourn.

ive noticed it loads of times but thought it was an english thing lol

me
Annoys me to. As does people spelling definitely, definately.

OMG I just realised I do this!!!!!! :dohh::dohh::dohh:
I read your post and thought "whats she on about!" :rofl:

Im the same haha. Won't be doing it anymore

Kmbabycrazy- I pronounce scone as scon. Not scOne like posh people lol. And I say paracetamol like set not seet.

I say it like seet lol.

If you look up scone in the dictionary (because the debate between me and a friend went on far too long we had to end it lol) it actually says the correct pronunciation is skon so I was like HA I was right lol x

Some people are just thick! :thumbup:

and some people are just rude.. charming response chellab

simple spelling mistake maybe...

It's not a spelling mistake some people genuinely say it that way

The thing is I never spell it/type it that way but I say it that way. I know the difference so it doesn't make me thick I know I'm wrong when I say it and I make a conscious effort to try not to say it that way, but sometimes I can't help it. It's part of where I'm from, but that doesn't make me thick though!

Bad grammar really bugs me & I'm always correcting people (that I know) for it!

The whole you're/your thing annoys me too! Think my patience levels are wearing thin as this pregnancy goes on ;)

I hate my iPhone for this! For some reason the stupid auto correct changes it from bought to brought! I have to keep editing my posts :(

Totally different but I hate hate hate people that say pacific/pacifically instead of specific/specifically. Ohs parents!!!

Haha I nearly wrote this on my reply!! :haha:

I hate it when people pronounce primark as premark! It's spelt with an I not an e!
And my friend always goes mad at me because I pronounce the charity shop "help the aged" as help the age ed. Does that make sense?

I say Preemark.
I say paraseetamol.
I say scon (unless Im referring to the place and then its Scoon even though its spelt Scone)

(spelt as pronounced, I am not a shit speller (apart from when i spell the word definately ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->