Why do some people think a waterbirth is odd?

Miss_Bump

Reaction score
As the title says....

ALOT of people I've said I'm planning a waterbirth think it's strange or odd?

A few have asked why I'm not chosing to have a 'normal' birth and some people have said well good luck with your wacky birth

WTF since when has a waterbirth been wacky or not normal?
xx

Hmmm, I didnt think it was odd either. Thought it was actually very common and simply another birth choice. From what Ive seen on telly and net it looks amazing and so much more relaxing! :thumbup: x

i have had this too !..
and ive also had the "how does the baby not drown" question a million times!
ive been told i would benefit from having a water birth for personal reasons, so i just hope i get my wish

People are so used to pregnancy being some kind of "illness" that must be dealt with in a sterile clinical hospital setting that they can't comprehend how women have actually been doing it (safely!) for thousands of years! :shrug:

^^^
its usually men who ask questions like this ! :dohh:

I am planning on a water birth which I hope and wish goes to plan. I've noticed a few people tell me I'm crazy. Why's it crazy?!?! Just another way to give birth! :wacko:

Also some people like to tell me that im going to NEED an epi :wacko: and i cant have one in the pool.... hmmm i already know i can only have gas and air in the pool :haha:

Us amazing ladies have been giving birth for centuries with no epi or medical intervention, shut up and let me have my water birth ;)
xx

Probably because its not long been introduced and is only recently becoming more popular?! I dunno but Ive seen it and read up on it and been informed by the MW that you less likely to tear due to your skin being very soft and moist

Im going to have a go in the pool if its available :) if it helps then why not? It all depends if someone else is in there when i ring when im in labor x

My dh is like this. He thinks it's weird and disgusting. I've explained it all to him n how much I'd like one but he still moans. He always was like "don't expect me to get in". I wouldn't want him too anyway. I said I'd love one as it feels natural to me to be in water n he was just moaning saying it's the baby you should be thinking of! WTF!

Some people will never understand

Looks like I prob can't have one now due to bp n being induced. I was soooo looking forward to it.

I think a water birth sounds lovely if its what you want and feel will help :flower:

I know i couldn't cope with it (medical reasons) and i need to have a 'clinical' epidural birth as people describe it...which i enjoy as my experience of child birth.

I seem to be writing this sentance alot in recent days, but.... :dohh:

People in this world should learn to respect women's choice on methods of delivery, whatever it may be...waterbirth, epidural, c-section....

I'm planning one too:) My favorite was my fil wife (not mil lol) and she said "oh I hope your not planning a stupid water birth get in bed and have her without screaming your head off like we " uuum excuse me? wahtever! my mil and mother on the other hand think it's really great and can't wait to hear about it hahha people are dumb!

and about being told you will need an epi? I told my best friend I was going to give it a go with gas an air if needed and she laughed and said ya right call me after your beggin for it while screaming your head off....she doesn't even HAVE babies!

Good luck on your water birth!

just ignore what some people think, they are just stuck in the dark ages!

I would have loved a water birth, planned the lot, wanted candles and donovan or the beatles playing in the back ground, but had to have an emergency c-section! so if can have one, enjoy it and ignore what other people say.

Who cares what anyone else says?? I personally would never choose either a waterbirth or a homebirth, and equally I've had friends who've had both and would never choose a hospital birth (unless for medical reasons).

My friend had her first baby at home in a birth pool. She was in labour for just a few hours and loved every minute of it!!

Nicola xx

My dh is like this. He thinks it's weird and disgusting. I've explained it all to him n how much I'd like one but he still moans. He always was like "don't expect me to get in". I wouldn't want him too anyway. I said I'd love one as it feels natural to me to be in water n he was just moaning saying it's the baby you should be thinking of! WTF!

This attitude (and I see it alot) annoys me SO MUCH. You take better care of the baby if you take better care of yourself. If you have a good birth, the experience you want... you are better set up for motherhood, less likely to suffer PND etc.

Ask him, why do they say on aeroplanes that in the event of an emergency parents must fix their OWN mask before seeing to their childrens'?

Plus, it's nicer for the BABY to be born in water. He's BEEN floating in water for 9months, so a waterbirth makes the transition from womb>world gentler for him. I expect your DH didn't think of that ;)

Because pregnancy is looked upon as a medical event, so doing something not in the medical way is abnormal or odd. For me it's totally natural. Whenever I am in pain I natrually want to be soothed by water.

Its just ignorance hun, I say let them crack on even if annoys me at the best of times too.

Preganancy is the most natural thing in the world, the baby is surrounded by fluid for 9 months so..the baby would only be moving from one fluid environment to the next. Why that concept is so hard to understand, is beyond me.

I think someone on this forum said her husband was amazed at how our babies dont get tangled up in our intestines...enough said.

I think someone on this forum said her husband was amazed at how our babies dont get tangled up in our intestines...enough said.

:rofl:

That really made me laugh

As soon as i decided that yep i would like a waterbirth first thing BF said... "there is no way im getting in there with you, ill sit at the side with a net and fish for poo!!!!" :dohh:

I personally wouldnt want him in there with me anyway so nur! Unless he really really wanted to :haha:
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->