Why shorten it?? I don't get it.

memewest

Reaction score
Why do people pick out gorgeous names for their children, and then go and shorten them??

If your not going to call your child by the name you've given them, then why give them that name in the first place?? :dohh:

And if you prefer the shortened version, why not just name them that?? :shrug:

I have Elizabeth and James, and they are called Elizabeth and James, not Libby or Jamie, or any of the other versions of their names.

Does anyone else think along the same lines as me?? or am i alone here?

I have Alexander and i call him Alex most the time, this is my personal preference.

we chose to name him Alexander because we wanted HIM to have the choice when he was older to shorten it if he wished or not.

I get REALLY annoyed when people call Caitlyn, Kate or Katie!

lol sorry im the oppersite of the fence.. OH wants to call our son Daniel but he will grow up being Danny, My OH's name is shortened, i only use the full name when im telling him off..

I HATE it when people call jacob- jake or jakey! I called him jacob for a reason :) xXx

I'm all for shortening names. :D I'd like my children to have beautiful, classy grown-up names (and I think Elisabeth and James fit does criteria perfectly by the way:thumbup:) that they can feel comfortable with in any situation (meeting new people in the pub, interviewing for a job, receiving the Nobel prize:haha:). But I'm also a fan of pet names for people you are close to. So I'd still shorten my kids names (when I talk to them), I think it's cute and just another little way of showing affection. Having said that, I wouldn't introduce my kids with their pet names but I guess other people will always shorten things anyway..:shrug:

I love the name Bethanie, but I always call her by her full name. Certain people insist on calling her Beth, which im not too keen on because I feel shes too young for that name at the mo. Saying that though, I call her fen most of the time - and have a few other annoying nicknames.

LOL nicknames are fine!! I don't see anything wrong with them at all!!!

Yep I'm guilty on this one!

I call Jordon Jordy or Jord and Devon gets called Devy or Dev, only by his close family though, even his friends at school call them Jordon and Devon and not forgetting teachers of course.

Most kids will end up growing up and wanting to use a shortened version of their name anyway.

My name is Rebecca but I hate being called that, everyone only knows me as Bekki and I cringe when someone uses my full name!

So my conclusion is, aslong as the children are aware of their proper name, I don't have a problem with using a shortened version. :thumbup:

I have a Jacob and LO in the belly is Lucas and we call Jacob Jake sometimes but to most everyone he is Jacob and Lucas will inevitably be called Luke by us some of the time but I stick with the full name most of the time but do not see any reason not to shorten it some of the time but I definatly wouldnt all the time. but my mom is with you on this she hates it when we call Jacob Jake in front of her...

I do have a friend that has a lil girl named Albrey and she only goes by Sissy and that annoys me because it isnt even a shortened version of her name and I wonder why parents do this to their child and its not just her mom or dad that call her this its everybody I wonder if she even knows her real name :shrug:

I'm kind of neutral on the issue - I do like the fact that Ethan's name can't really be shortened, but having said that if he was a girl he would have been Charlotte, and it's more than likely that would have been shortened to Charlie :)

I think it really is an individual thing and personal preference, the only ones of ours who's name we shorten is Frankie, his 'proper' name is Franklin. If I get my way this baby will be named Madeleine, but we will call her Maddie. I think it also depends on the name.....

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I wouldnt shorten our own childrens names (not that Hannah is one that can really be shortened anyway and neither can the names we've chosen for this baby) but I do call others (adults mostly) by a shortened version of their name.

I think names kind of evolve...

My eldest is Charlotte and she is ALWAYS called that - it's never shortened and she wouldn't answer if anyone dared lol.

My middle one is Harriet, but that is almost always shortened to Hattie or Tattie, and has been since she was a toddler - it just suits her personality more :shrug:

My youngest is Jacob but he is always called Jake - I always intended to call him Jake, but my ex registered it as Jacob anyway :cry:

I tried to choose names that would not be shortened (although Kaysie will probably get shortened to Kay, which I dont like (no offence)), but people still call Morgan; Morgie.

My mum and dad named my sister Vikki as they liked the name Vikki but did not want to name her Victoria if they would only call her Vikki.

I named my daughter a short name - Freya so no one would shorten it, Low and behold i find myself calling her Fray-Fray as a nickname which is even longer! I give up... i must be insane!

Im not into shortening names at all. I love Charlottes name but unfortunately I get people all the time calling her Lottie or Charlie it does my head in!

Guess it's personal preference.

My sisters and I were all given long names, which we (or my parents for 2 of us) all shortened. As an adult I like having the choice, and use both names in different situations, a bit like have two personalities ;)

I love the name Sofia... but she does get called 'Fia, because my 2 year old niece calls her that and it's sweet.

My husband's family insist on shortening it to Sofi, which I hate, not because I don't like the name but to me Sophie is a completely different name and that's not what I called her.

My son's 1st name is Joshua-Lee, but he gets josh, joshy & joshua. I personally like them all which is why i chose it.

I shorten my own name and noone dares call me by my full name if they know me.....
I have given my children names that cant be shortened but my son still has a nickname completely unrelated to his actual name.

I think its rude to assume a shortening of someone elses name, such as when people call my sisters 9yr old "Beth" instead of "Bethany" even though they dont know her and she is ALWAYS called "Bethany" in full at all times. However if thats what the parent/child uses regularly I dont see a problem, such as a friend who has always been known as pip or pippa though her name is Phillipa, noone in her family remembers her ever being called Phillipa in their home...she is only known as Phillipa at work.

Quite often its a sign of affection for a person, plus once they grow up you cant stop them from shortening their own names if they like....unless you give them a name that cant be shortened!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->