Why shorten it?? I don't get it.

Not fussed TBH but it desn't relly effect me as both my children have names that can't be shortened:)

I doesnt really bother me tbh.

If for example i named my daughter Charlotte i would probably call her Lottie or Charlie. I think that's fine bacause she's my daughter and if i want to shorted her name then i will.

I think i would get annoyed tho if other ppl took it upon themselves to shorten her name.

My name is Felicity and 90% of the people i know don't call me this lol i get Flick, Fee, Fliss.
Depending on who i'm speaking to i usually introduce myself as Flick and keep Felicity for work and doctors appts lol
x

i often call alys aly. her full name is alys mae hughes and i call her alys mae sometimes or aly mae, also maisy moo! lol

she wont know her name i swear! hhaha

xx

Both me and my husband have names that cant be shortened, and we have both said that we feel like we missed out because of this! We just have 1 name for all situations, whereas i would have quite liked to have a name that only my good friends called me, and DH feels the same way about his (Kate & Neil incase ur wondering! lol!)

So we want to give future children names that can be shortened if they choose to be!

Both me and my husband have names that cant be shortened, and we have both said that we feel like we missed out because of this! We just have 1 name for all situations, whereas i would have quite liked to have a name that only my good friends called me, and DH feels the same way about his (Kate & Neil incase ur wondering! lol!)

So we want to give future children names that can be shortened if they choose to be!

See I kind of think this way. Our little boy Eddie's full name is Eddie. My mum desperately wanted me to call him Edward but I thought, what's the point when we actually really like the name Eddie and are going to call him that anyway?

It's the same with this one. He's going to be called Ozzie. My mum wanted to us to call him Osmond but that's not we're planning on calling him that full time so he's going to be an Ozzie :D

i agree.... oh and a dont like sorten virsion thomas wont become a tom... nor will future kids have shorten virsions

I think the same however, I am cautious of names being shortened anyway. People here automatically shorten names straight away even when you have introduced yourself with your full name it drives me mad.

I will not choose a name that can be shortened especially to something that I don't like. It makes the whole situation of choosing a name very frustrating.

lol In my extended family, if we hear our full name we know we're about to get yelled at. If we get the middle name too... watch out! I'm actually kind of disappointed that our son will have a one-syllable name; I can't yell at him properly without more syllables! :rofl:

Now that I think about it, none of our chosen names can really be shortened... I'm sure we'll end up coming up with nicknames for them anyway. I used to go by my full first name but I got sick of it as I don't feel that "Nicole" suits me at all... but "Nic" suits me just fine! I even asked the pastor at my wedding to refer to me as "Nic" for the ceremony; he gave me a strange look but oh well, that's what I wanted! lol

My parents gave me the name Amanda with every intention of calling me Mandy :shrug: No one refers to me as Amanda. NO ONE.
You can't really shorten Amelie to much so I don't have that problem.

Well there are some names that I love on kids, and some on adults, but never on the other. It's nice to have a longer, more formal name, and be able to shorten it to something more informal and "cuter" when they're younger. Also gives THEM more options.. lots of people hate their name lmao. :p

I don't get it either. Our son's name is Hunter, which isn't long, and people call him Hunt. It bothers me.

See I kind of think this way. Our little boy Eddie's full name is Eddie. My mum desperately wanted me to call him Edward but I thought, what's the point when we actually really like the name Eddie and are going to call him that anyway?

It's the same with this one. He's going to be called Ozzie. My mum wanted to us to call him Osmond but that's not we're planning on calling him that full time so he's going to be an Ozzie :D

I'm in this camp...our little one is going to be Charlie and people always ask if he is going to be Charles on the birth certificate...definitely not - I think Charlie is cute and Charlies sounds old...

My OH keeps calling him Charles at the moment though - and we have fallen out about it - I've told him if he is going to insist on calling him Charles (ever) then we will have to pick a different name!! That will be difficult though because he's always been Charlie - even before we concieved! (good job we are having a boy!)

Another people say is "if its a girl you can call her Charlie" assuming that because I like it for a boy I'll like it for a girl and I don't (no offence to anyone with Charlie girls out there).

x

Im the same my little girl is called Victoria & i cant stand it being shortened 2 Vicky she woz called Victoria so just use tht lol

My sons William and i call him Will,Bill (he hates) and William, it depends on how i feel to what i call him. I think it's good good for the child to have a choice to change their name if they wish.

My parents gave me the name Amanda with every intention of calling me Mandy :shrug: No one refers to me as Amanda. NO ONE.
You can't really shorten Amelie to much so I don't have that problem.

Ams, Ammy, Amsy, Amsylicious, Amsywoo :winkwink:

My first name is Charlotteanne

Far too long! I was always Charlotte until I got to uni where I started being called Charlie, now I'm Charlie to everyone except family and old friends from home!

my kids are called: Rebekah, Thomas,William,Charlotte,Ethan and Ernie. But day to day they are called becks, tom, wills, floss, eath and ern. they have the choice when they are growing up what they prefer to be called, the eldest always spells her name bex:wacko: lol

my given name is Nichola and i HATE HATE HATE it with a passion, and it pees me off that even as an adult of 37 my parents still insist on calling me nichola rather than nicki.....yet theyll call my brother chris when his name is christopher!!

I have a keiron,chloe and jamie and they all get shortened lol,usually by me;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->