Why shorten it?? I don't get it.

my name is lindsey-anne but always calleds linds
ben is benjamin but called ben or beny

and no kids for us yet but we have names picked out thomas what no dout wil be shortend to tom or tommy and kimberly what you have either kim or kimmy im not fussed about nicknames my friends hates it when you calle her little girl el when her name is elisha

I don't think ppl intentionally think "I'm going to shorten this person's name" its just mid conversation sometimes its easier to do, not really something ppl plan! lolx

I really don't mind it, I know that Joseph will probably end up being called Joe when he is older. No one (apart from my mum) calls me by my full name and I don't think anyone has since primary school! I'm always Jackie, never Jacqueline!

Interesting thread, there are many conflicting opinions and it just goes to show you should never assume to shorten someone/someones childs name lol. I am not fussed on shortening names, though I called my son Charlie as that was the name I chose for him. My nan said you can't give a child a name like Charlie as it isn't a proper name it's a nickname and I had to put Charles on his birth certificate but I just didn't listen to her. My child, my choice and I wanted Charlie not Charles, as someone else has already said. However a lot of the names we are considering for the next one ESPECIALLY our girls name we like a lot of shortened versions but still want to give the full version on the birth certificate lol. I agree with what a lot of other women have said it's nobodies business but the parents really what to call a child and think shortening is only a problem if someone else takes it upon themselves to shorten a name. My name is Hannah and there are a few people who call me Han... I hate it. Yuck. Lol there are only a rare few who can get away with it without being ignored until they call me Hannah lol

We have picked out Alice (girl) or Alexandre (boy). Alexandre is my DH's middle name, but will likely be shortened. In Quebec, most people would pronounce it "alexahnd" anyways but I'll stick with Alex.

I actually have picked a girls name (if we have a girl) DELIBERATELY to be shortened.

Because we both liked the name Ellie / Elle but I thought that a lot of little girls are being called this at the moment we chose ELEANOR so we can call her Elle but she will still have a beautiful longer name if she so chooses. The boys name will be Kyle because I like names with 1 syllable.

I have a habit will always shorten names, i.e. my own name Kerry --> Kez

Doesnt bother me! All mine have nicknames!

Joseph- Joe
Bethany- Beth
Lauren- Lol
Rebekah- Bek or Bekka
Rachel- Rach or Rachy roo
Sean- Seany
Ellis- Boo
Lewis- Looby or looby loo!

xx

I agree with some of them but some names sound better shortened, like Archie rather than ArchieBALD lol and Alfie rather than Alfred. Freddie rather than Frederick.... Its just more modern!

I don't think it matters whether you call your child by their name or a nickname, who's business is it apart from the parents?

My son's called Harrison but he goes by Harry, I gave him the name Harrison so he has plenty of variants to chose from as he grows up, he has different ways to introduce himself given the situation and has the choice to be who he ideally wants to be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->