Why shorten it?? I don't get it.

yep isabel is just that isabel!
we figure when she's older she can choose but while we have control thats the name we gave her so thats what people call her...we've had several peeps just assume they can call her izzy and they've been corrected!!! :rofl:

actually here's the flipside to that... my MIL called my OH Mark on birth certificate, yet ALWAYS calls him Markus inconversation :confused:

Im not to fussed either way, as long as it was a shortening i used iykwim, not one that other people made up. Brooke cant really be shortened much so i usually just call her B or little B.

My step sister is known as Tia, even though her full name is Victoria, but my step mums name is that too so i can see why they chose that shortnening as she is know as Vicky ... if that makes any sense at all :lol:

i hate people shortening Holly's name as they call her Hol which sounds Horrid. had to tell few of the girls about it at nursery as it sounds horrible. a few people call her Holly lou which i don't mind. but my oh thinks i being to strict about people using her really name. but it is her name andn if i had wanted to call her Hol thats what hert name would of been!!!!

My poor LO gets all sorts! His name is Evan, which you would think couldn't be shortened to much, but here goes:

Evie (my nickname for him)
Evie Bevvie (my mates)
Evs Bevs (as above)
Heaven (My neice and nephew have called him this since birth)
Evs
Evan James (when he is being naughty)
Evie Boops (not sure where this came from)

Poor thing!!!

We called our first daughter Abbie, did not see the point of calling her Abigail when nobody would call her it!
For the same reason we choose Luke instead of Lucas but i regret that a little bit as i love the name Lucas so much!!!!

I named my son Alex cause thats what I liked - not Alexander! xxx

My kids Birth given names are family names and are shortened as to avoid confusion when theey are all in the same room the older family gets to use the full name and my kids have the short version

I don't get why you care what other people do with their kids names?

Anyways, to answer your question, doesn't bother me one bit if people shorten Helena's name. My little sisters call her Layna. I call her H. :shrug:

I named my daughter Elyse and I call her ... I guess Lees or Leesy lol most of the time. Her name is pretty and I love it but I can't have a nickname or something for my daughter? :shrug:

i guess it is all personal preference. our kids have short names but we still have pet names 4 them. dylan is dd and erin is erinsita but only close family use them, otherwise they are dylan and erin.

My little fella will be called Arthur (after his grandad) and people have either turned their noses up to it or said something like "so you'll be shortening it to Artie then?" Huh? What? No, his name is Arthur and we'll call him that. I personally think it's a gorgeous, strong name and i don't wanna ruin it. I like it just the way it is. xx

https://lbdf.lilypie.com/oxQAp1.png

~Bump Buddies with Jox~ :flower: ~ Mamas little man due 24/1/10~ :blue:

I'M VIABLE!!!! :yipee::yipee:

haha i dont think anyone can shorten mya :p thats why i chose it but i dont mind shortening names

People keep asking me what I'm going to shorten Matilda to and I don't mind shortening her name but I would rather a name just happens rather than me deciding she is going to be Tilly/Tilda/Mattie etc.
Anyway, she's Missy Moo at the moment anyway!!

I dunno, I think it doesn't really matter to me that much. When they get older their friends will have names for them and I won't have a say in the matter. I think nicknames are so cute! can't sweat the small stuff =)

I'm glad now that I have a name that can be shortened and it winds me up when people call me by my full name, sounds kinda stern and formal.

Some of our friends had a baby last year and have refused to shorten her name or let others do that, which I think is just a little odd, but I'll follow their wishes anyway. But I'd laugh if in a few years she'll only want to be called by a short form of her name...:haha:

I'd have no problem whatsoever if other people gave my child a nick name, indicates affection :) We're thinking of having Milo (boy) - can't really be shortened, or Gwyneth or Cerys for a girl. If someone called my daughter Gwynnie or Gwen I'd love that.

my son is Matthew and I HATE people calling him Matty or Matt with a passion but I guess now hes at school the inevitable will happen * rolls eyes*:( lol

My little girl is 2 and her name is madison. We call her Madison & Maddie. Maddie is very appropriate for her age :) and madison is appropriate for when she is older. My name is just Tara and I ALWAYS wanted to have a shorter version of my name growing up! Idk why ...all my friends did, and I loved it! So, subconsciously that may be why i did it! haha I still love it though!

All 3 of my children have a 4 letter names which can't be shortened,but they all have long nick names which i just make up as i go lol

i totaly agree with you i called my son lucas and some people still insist on calling him luke and i hate it when they do that i am always correcting people

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->