Will be 41 in three weeks and I just got my 1st BFP!

Kat S

Still trying for #1
Reaction score
I wanted to share my positive 35+ TTC journey with you guys.

So at the ripe old age of 40, after 8 years of marriage, we decided to seek help trying to conceive since nothing was happening. Before we were NTNP. My stats were not ideal: FSH levels: 13.3; AMH: 0.47 and DH is unable to ejaculate during intercourse, but can during masturbation, so the Fertility doc we signed up with recommended IUI with injectables. Since the injectables are so expensive, and I was SURE I could conceive with Clomid or Femara, I put off the injectables and started with Clomid. DH sperm count/motility tested and found to be excellent.

The Clomid "test" cycle was successful in producing follicles, but I ended up with cysts so large that my doc told me to stop exercising and I had to go on The Pill to help them dissipate. He said I'd likely get these cysts every time I use Clomid as it appears I'm susceptible to cysts. I switched to Femara (against my Dr's advice - he just likes Clomid) after reading great stuff about it here on Baby&Bump.

My lining and progesterone #s were excellent.

I did two rounds of IUI with Femara, and while I did get multiple follicles (and NO big cysts!), only one reached a good size each time. DH count was bizarrely low for the first IUI (6 mil post wash), but doubled for the 2nd (11 mil post wash). I attribute my DH's count improvement to be directly tied to what time he produced his sample (this is not backed by any medical opinion! It's just what I think!). The first one was at 6:30am for a 7am drop off, and the second one was at 10am for a 10:30 drop off.

Since they both failed, I thought about the injectables the Dr initially recommended. I talked with DH, and he said, "Go for it!". So we plunked down the $1,350.00 for Bravelle, learned to do the shots each night, and prayed! I ended up with 2 follicles, and only one reached a good size. Disappointing, but at least we knew the Bravelle promoted only viable eggs, so even though there was only one, it was of good quality.

We went in for the 3rd IUI at 1pm, so DH produced his sample around noon after 2 cups of coffee. What a difference! His post wash count was 25 million! I swear it was the coffee in addition to producing the sample when he was fully awake. Just my opinion there.

Then we waited! For the first 7 days, all I felt was breast tenderness a few days after the procedure. I used to get breast tenderness the week before AF, but since I began the Clomid/Femara, this AF sign disappeared. I wondered if taking the Bravelle allowed my body to return to it's previous ways, or if this was an early pregnancy sign.

On Day 8 I had terrible loose bowels. On day 9 I took a FRER pregnancy test, but it came up negative. That day I had nasty pains in my lower abdomen from late morning to mid afternoon. At first I thought it was early AF cramping, but decided it wasn't because it felt different than that. Then I figured it was gas cramps from some hash browns I ate that morning, but the gas part never appeared. I began to wonder: Was this implantation pain??

On Day 10, Christmas Eve morning, I took a Target brand "early response" test and got my first positive within minutes! However, I didn't quite believe it. It was an bargain-brand blue dye test, and from everything I read on Baby&Bump, blue dye tests promote "line eye" and aren't as reliable. And even though I'd gotten a negative with a FRER on Day 9, I feared the Target brand test somehow picked up the last remains of my Trigger Shot. The cramping pains returned in my lower abdomen for a few hours in the late morning/mid afternoon.

So I took out the FRER test I was saving and tested on Christmas morning (Day 11piui). A very faint 2nd line appeared! I couldn't believe it! And that line has gotten darker ever day. Here it is Day 13piui

Day%2013%20test.jpg

Now we pray the little bean sticks with us for a healthy pregnancy! I hope the Bravelle promoted a good, healthy egg!

Good luck to all you 35+ ladies out there! :dust:

Congratulations, what a fantastic miraculous gift for Christmas! Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy.

Congratulations… that is so exciting. Wishing a happy 2013!

Thank you for sharing your story.

Wonderful news. Congrats! I am 41 and ttc for the first time too. On the TWW. Your story encouraged me

Congratulations Kat!!! What wonderful news. I'm sure your little bubba will stick. I had my first at 41 and love her to bits. Best thing that has everhappened to me. So happy for you! :)

Congratulations!! All the best on a wonderful pregnancy! Thanks for sharing your story!

I do love a Christmas miracle - congrats!!

(I'm 41 and 1 day ahead of you on my ticker)

Thanks!

I decided that would be my baby's name in 1986 when i was 15 and I went to see The Damned in concert..they sang the song quoted in my sig. Took me a while to get there, I was 40 when she was born.

Are you already thinking of names and then mentally slapping yourself to calm down? I am. Need to calm down.

Thanks!

I decided that would be my baby's name in 1986 when i was 15 and I went to see The Damned in concert..they sang the song quoted in my sig. Took me a while to get there, I was 40 when she was born.

Are you already thinking of names and then mentally slapping yourself to calm down? I am. Need to calm down.

LOL! That is a great story she'll appreciate when she's 12 :)

Yes, in fact we're crazy people, because we've already chosen a boy name and a girl name. We were TTC for a while, so all we had was time to plan.

Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy, that little bean is strong and cant wait to find out his/her name!

I went in for a routine scan yesterday at 7 wks 3 days and the heart was no longer beating. They think from the measurement that it died about a week ago.

:cry:

Just devastated. Can't stop crying.

I am scheduled for a D&E tomorrow. I can't believe I have to go back to square one...

Im So sorry to read your heartbreaking news. Thinking of you x

so, so very sorry kat s.
i know this doesn't take the pain away, but know that
someone in california is thinking of you.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"