Will my 'big' baby automatically need weaning early?

Mum2b_Claire

Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ruby is just shy of 4 months and weighs 17lb. She drinks 9oz of formula every 4 hours during the day (half hungry baby, half normal formula) and sleeps 7pm-7am with a dream feed at 10.30pm (of which she usually takes no more than 6oz). She is a happy and settled baby and easily lasts the 4 hours between feeds during the day.

I had a chat with my HV yesterday about weaning, and she said Ruby was likely to need weaning before 6 months.

I'm not interested in early weaning her unless she needs it, some of my mum friends are weaning their 3 and 4 month olds for no apparent reason (satisfied on just milk, no medical conditions and still STTN) and while I am in no way disapproving of or judging them, I'm not wanting to do the same.

I know all of the government guidelines and am keen to follow them if possible, I'm just interested in other people's experiences of babies who have been a similar weight or larger at 4 months and when you needed to wean.

Thanks a lot!

If she continues to gain weight fine,if she continues to be happy and content and if is not showing signs of wanting to be weaned there is no reason why you should really.

My four month old is 19lb 13oz, and totally happy with milk.

I have found absoluely no evidence to suggest that big babies need weaning early.

It is a common myth though, and something my HV suggested.

My four month old is 19lb 130oz, and totally happy with milk.

I have found absoluely no evidence to suggest that big babies need weaning early.

It is a common myth though, and something my HV suggested.

Yeah I'm beginning to think this too. I feel that just because Ruby is big, it doesn't mean her digestive system is more able to cope with solids than smaller babies.

And wow! at your son being 19lb 13oz and breastfed, you must be really proud :)

no I think its nonsense really, some babies are small and need weaning earlier, it depends on the baby!

My lo is on the 96th centile for weight and i've only just noticed a change in his feeding habits, he is 5 months tomorrow. While ive been giving him tasters of babyrice for the past couple of days i can't see him being fully weaned until hes 6 months.

DD Was exact the same and cause of money i just didnt know what to do. she was going through a carton and a half in 7 days!!! i didnt want to wean though but hvisitor was like just give her a cereal/rice in the morning then milk throughout the day this has REALLY helped now her milks every 4-5 hours instead of every 3! she doesnt wake in the night for a feed and she ssleps 8-8 again :D

My baby has been on 97th percentile since birth, and he was showing signs of interest about 5 months. He was sitting up, very interested in food and he clearly wanted some. I tried some baby rice which he wolved down, so we do that every day although now on oat cereal in the mornings and so far he likes apple and pear, thats about it. I am still taking it slowly he has cereal in am and something at lunch, and 5 bottles a day of 7oz and he seems quite happy. You will know whats right and if he needs anything, you could always try some baby rice just to see if he wants any or is able to take it.

Olivia is just coming 4 months this week and shes about the same weight and shes not showing any signs of weaning, so im the same as you I dont see why I should wean her coz shes BIG as she seems perfectly satisfied on milk alone and I will continue to do so until I feel otherwise, no matter what anyone else has to say!

Thanks everyone. Ruby is still fine on just milk. The last couple of days she's even started to leave a couple of ozs of her bottles sometimes so maybe we will get to 6 months. If she becomes unsettled then I won't hesitate to give solids before 6 months, but nice to know it's not inevitable.

Jack is a big baby too 91st percentile and I still haven't weaned. His weight gain has slowed down but is still gaining as he should and seems content on milk. However the way he fed early on if you'd have told me I'd get him to 6 months on just milk I'd have told you to get lost he was such a greedy monkey

I agree totally! Will you be doing baby led weaning at six months? :D x

I'm not sure yet...I like the idea of it, but I'd actually never heard of it until I started using BnB :blush: so I need to find out more.

I'm not sure yet...I like the idea of it, but I'd actually never heard of it until I started using BnB :blush: so I need to find out more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-W...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252080163&sr=8-1 this is the book to read.

It's based on the fact that it's better for your baby to learn to chew food before they learn to swallow it instead of later on when they're used to just swallowing. It's so much fun!! You just give them what you're eating (mostly!) and let them get on with it :D

Come and join the blw'ing support thread at the top to see what everyone's up to and decide if it's right for you xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->