will u be waiting until 6 months to wean baby?

Its ok if you have time to make your own baby food, but theres no shame in jarred food:) sounds like blw woyld be easier tho (and cheaper!):)

it takes me less time to put a couple of cubes or sweet potato in a colander on top of a pot of boiling water and then mash it than it takes to warm up a jar? also a sweet potato for instance is 30p and there is enough there for 5 days at least. a jar of food (i had to check) is 60p? that's enough for 1 day i think because you have to bin the rest after use ... i think? this is why i don't understand jars.

OP i waited for 6 months, i started purees because frankly the choking scares me. i have since started slowly trying finger foods. i believe even if your baby is showing signs of being ready (my baby did) ie. sitting up by himself, showing interest in food before 6 months .. you can't see what's going on in the inside. i believe my baby's digestive system was not ready before 6 months.

i wouldn't really care what your friend does if i was you, make your own decision and just go with it.

For me with jars its about 10 secs in a micro and I don't need to watch it while it heats. A pan of boiling water needs watching, mashing needs a pair of hands which could be serving my DS's meal. Plus watching two kids.

Also for medical reasons I spend a lot of time discussing the texture of DDs meals with various health people its easier for all to say stage 1 or 2 or 3 and know exactly what consistency we are all talking about rather than me trying to describe. mushy, or lumpy (size of lumps, firmness of lumps etc) It also allows me to measure her progress well.

And different foods can be kept for varying lengths of time. We tend to take one meal from the jar (and if she doesn't finish it) we freeze the rest in ice cubed trays so it doesn't go to waste. It is more expensive but she needs what she needs.

I would much prefer not to use them but there isn't anything wrong with them either. I was reluctant about them till I actually looked at the ingredients in them and if you choose carefully some brands have no added ingredients or 'crap' in them

Ah fair enough, sorry it was a genuine question. I once used a jar that a friend gave me and I did it in my bottle warmer (that can also heat jars) and remember thinking it's a bit of a faff. Didn't think people do them in the microwave.

As far as I could see the only stuff that went in the jars anyways was just veg no added stuff so I certainly don't think they can be bad

Seriously don't rush it! It's so
Much hassle more than anything else! My lo was t ready before six months and don't eat properly til 8 1/2 mths. I have a friend like that who
Rushes everything. My lo eats exactly the same as her lo
Now! When your lo is ready you do it when you think. If mine was ready before six months is have done it but in all
Seriousness none of my friends babies really took to it til six mths

Its ok if you have time to make your own baby food, but theres no shame in jarred food:) sounds like blw woyld be easier tho (and cheaper!):)

it takes me less time to put a couple of cubes or sweet potato in a colander on top of a pot of boiling water and then mash it than it takes to warm up a jar? also a sweet potato for instance is 30p and there is enough there for 5 days at least. a jar of food (i had to check) is 60p? that's enough for 1 day i think because you have to bin the rest after use ... i think? this is why i don't understand jars.

OP i waited for 6 months, i started purees because frankly the choking scares me. i have since started slowly trying finger foods. i believe even if your baby is showing signs of being ready (my baby did) ie. sitting up by himself, showing interest in food before 6 months .. you can't see what's going on in the inside. i believe my baby's digestive system was not ready before 6 months.

i wouldn't really care what your friend does if i was you, make your own decision and just go with it.

For me with jars its about 10 secs in a micro and I don't need to watch it while it heats. A pan of boiling water needs watching, mashing needs a pair of hands which could be serving my DS's meal. Plus watching two kids.

Also for medical reasons I spend a lot of time discussing the texture of DDs meals with various health people its easier for all to say stage 1 or 2 or 3 and know exactly what consistency we are all talking about rather than me trying to describe. mushy, or lumpy (size of lumps, firmness of lumps etc) It also allows me to measure her progress well.

And different foods can be kept for varying lengths of time. We tend to take one meal from the jar (and if she doesn't finish it) we freeze the rest in ice cubed trays so it doesn't go to waste. It is more expensive but she needs what she needs.

I would much prefer not to use them but there isn't anything wrong with them either. I was reluctant about them till I actually looked at the ingredients in them and if you choose carefully some brands have no added ingredients or 'crap' in them

Ah fair enough, sorry it was a genuine question. I once used a jar that a friend gave me and I did it in my bottle warmer (that can also heat jars) and remember thinking it's a bit of a faff. Didn't think people do them in the microwave.

As far as I could see the only stuff that went in the jars anyways was just veg no added stuff so I certainly don't think they can be bad

Personally for me cooking a bit of extra veg Abd now dinners was no trouble and then freezing it. I chose not to use jars as I figured I may as well just use the food we have and he now eats very well. I had always been very anti jars however looking at them they do seem to be fairly nutritious

we did BLW with both boys

Barry we started at 5months 1 weeks, he was a quick learner and ate (still eats) like a horse! He'll try anything, always has done, even as a toddler we rarely come across food he wont at least try first, and he likes about 8/10 things he tries. He gagged an awful lot for the first month of BLW, but then was fine.

Connor we started a exactly 6 months, hes a quick learner too, had mastered the finger pincer by the end of the first week....but is a lot fussier, he doesnt like cold foods or wet foods. prefers things he can pick up with his fingers rather then his hands but is great with self feeding from a spoon. Connor has only ever gagged once.

I love BLW and recommend it to anyone that asks, Ive had nothing but compliments from people when we eat out at restaurants or friends houses because they both eat so well, people always ask me how i did it!

He is 6 months in a few days, ha hasn't a solids meal yet. I have given him little tastes here and there as my pediatrician said it's ok to give him a piece of fruit to hold and play with. He is still EBF. He loves tasting new things and he leans towards veggies, he doesn't like fruit much.

my cousin has just posted a pic of her feeding her 6 week old mushed Rusk so she isn't waiting.

Seriously struggling to not comment!!!!

my cousin has just posted a pic of her feeding her 6 week old mushed Rusk so she isn't waiting.

You might want to comment on that, as not only is that one of the DUMBEST things to do, it's actually very dangerous.

A 6 week old hasn't got a clue how to eat, has no need at all for 'solids' and she's likely to damage her babies immature gut with the sugar in rusks.

Shame :nope:

We did BLW with both kids, the first at 24 weeks (we planned to wait until exactly 6 months but she stole food and ate it so we let her eat as we'd always planned to be baby led) and the second at 26 weeks.

I've noticed with myself that I thought my first 4/5/6 month old was so big and developed etc and we were always waiting and watching for her to move onto the next stage. It was really exciting when she did something new and we always took it as a sign of her growing up and being ready for new things, but then when I looked at my 4/5/6 month old second baby I realised that 6 months is such a short time and they're really tiny still. Sometimes I see a 6 or 7 month old eating and I think how young that really is to introduce solids. It's funny how your view can change so much between babies, although I know that's not the case for everybody.

You might want to comment on that, as not only is that one of the DUMBEST things to do, it's actually very dangerous.

A 6 week old hasn't got a clue how to eat, has no need at all for 'solids' and she's likely to damage her babies immature gut with the sugar in rusks.

Shame :nope:

Somebody's already commented about baby's age but she's justified it with "same age is my other 2 when they had it" :dohh:

With my first we started at 19 weeks and my second 20 1/2 weeks. Both were ready and took to it easily. I did traditional weaning of homemade purees and pouches/jars when out or time was tight. Started giving finger foods from 6 month ish. Personally I enjoy weaning stage.... Hate the formula and both my sons became very fussy about milk just before weaning. My first basically went off milk very quickly so had to put it in his food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->