Will walking early cause bowed legs?

PitaKat

Reaction score
My husband's grandmother keeps telling me this. Does anyone know if there's any truth to it? I didn't think much of it, but now at 7 months my baby is pulling herself up to stand, so she may be an early walker.

No??? Tonnes of babies walk early... You can't stop them from walking/trying when they want to :wacko: :rofl:

It's an old wives tale that has absolutely no truth in it. What would she do if her kids walked early, just sit them down constantly?!

lol thanks. It does have the "old wives tale" ring to it :haha: I've been told that my MIL didn't want her baby (my husband) growing up too fast, so she'd push him back down when he tried to stand. He still figured out how to walk at a normal age :haha:

Nope! Our first was walking by 9 months and second took her first step at 8.5 months and took off from there. Neither have bowed legs :) our third is 7 months now and is attempting to pull herself up on everything so I guess we will see :)

Wow, you have some early walkers there! :D Good to hear there are no bowed leg issues :thumbup: My son didn't pull himself up till 9/10 months and didn't walk independently till around 12 months, so I wasn't expecting my daughter to start standing so early.

I walked at 9.5 months and my legs were never bowed! My DD has been pulling herself to standing since 6.5 months and is now walking behind her push toys and her legs are perfectly straight!

Haha, old wives tales...my son pulled to stand and cruised at 6 months and his legs are all good!

Babies have slightly bowed legs in the womb from being cramped up, so they start out a bit bent and get straighter with age, not more bowed.

P.S my son didn't walked till 11 months so not early.

DD1 started walking at 10/11 months and the only thing wrong with her legs is that she can't keep them still :rofl:

I walked at 9 months and the only thing wrong with my legs is that I don't like using them but medically we're all good :haha:

lol thank you for putting my concern to rest, ladies :thumbup:

Mu daughter was taking 4-5 steps at 7 months and full time walking/running by 9 months.. her legs have always been full of muscle but straight as can be.

My friends daughter didnt walk until 17 months and her legs were slightly bowed.

One mine was 9 months old and walking and his legs are fine hes 3 now.

No, it doesn't, it's just an old fashioned belief. My DH's grandparents tell me I shouldn't hold them up to stand before they can do it themselves as it will make them bow legged but Holly always wanted to be held upright like that and she's fine :)

I think there is some concern about early weight bearing and I think hip dysplasia. By that I mean, forcing baby to stand and bear weight when they are very small or putting them in one of those door frame bouncers for hours a day from very early. But that's not the same thing as a baby who is moving to stand and bear weight as part of natural development. It's more forcing it before the soft tissues and joints have developed enough for it to be healthy and safe. If your LO is moving along on their own, then they're obviously ready for it, so I wouldn't let it worry you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->