Withdrawal method; Yay or nay?

Becky61

Mummy & TTC #2
Reaction score
I came off the pill 4 weeks ago. Its one of many pills I've tried, and within 4 month I was feeling really depressed. Bothe myself & OH agreed I would have a break from hormones for just a few months, before considering the coil.
We have been using condoms, but occasionally prefer the withdrawal method, as it feels "better" for us both. OH is 100% perfect at "pulling out" at the right time.
So my question is, would you use this as a contraception?
If not, why? If so, how do you ensure it works for you? If it does!

I got pregnant using this method, even though we thought we were extra careful! so I vote nay to using it as contraception! If you wouldn't mind bein pregnant again then I woulwouldn't see a problem x

Well I did and it worked for us but no I wouldn't use it if I wanted a guarantee of not getting pregnant. It reduces the chance yes but definitely isn't fail safe. Depends how Jen you are to prevent a pregnancy.

If your NTNP its okay, otherwise big no no. Id never risk it, however ever good hubby maybe at end of the day it takes 1 sperm, that can come out of precum which mostly likely will be in there swimming about.

Definitely not, you can still get pregnant as pre-ejaculate can have sperm in it!

No. If you want a break from hormones and don't want a baby why not get a copper coil there's no hormones in it.

I've put occasionally because we have but only when happy to possibly get pregnant. I'd never rely on it.

I got pregnant from using the withdrawal method so, no :lol:

I got pregnant doing it this way too and we thought we had been careful

What about the IUD (maybe the same as coil)? There is a non-hormone kind (copper) and the one with hormones (But those would stay centrally located and shouldn't affect you otherwise- least per what my OB told me).

Just a thought ;) but no- I would not use the pull-out method unless I was ok getting prego if it happened. If you really prefer it though- you could just track your cycle and ONLY do that when your well far from ovulation (if you temp etc..). Least it would a little safer... but I guess there is no fail safe method!

we successfully did it for 2 years, and got pregnant our third month of ntnp. That being said, we had tons of scares and it got a little stressful. I wouldn't recommend it at all!

No, I know too many people who ended up pregnant that way.

Pre come can still contain millions of sperms so no I wouldn't . I'd be too worried. Xx

We used it successfully for 2.5 years, but....I would not use it if I definitely didn't want to get pregnant.
I hate taking hormones, they don't agree with me at all so I understand your need to find non-hormonal (and non condom!) contraception. Keep looking, I'm sure you will find something reliable.

I'd be too worried about getting pregnant to use it as contraception.

If I really did not want to get pregnant than I wouldn't use it, definitely not! I would go for the coil, I have had one in for a year now and mainly forget it's there it's great.x

No I would be too scared, the failure rate is way too high

Plus dh says (I just asked) that it kind of 'spoils' things for I'm when he has to remove it at the good bit :haha:

Check out Embarrassing bodies: Live from 27th May (it's on 4od) it is all about contraception and the pull out method. It had some very interesting statistics. After seeing that, I won't be using that as a method!

I would only use this method if I did not mind getting pregnant. It is probably the least effective method of contraception as sperm can 'leak' out at any time during intercourse and not just at ejaculation. If you would be ok with a surprise pregnancy then go for it but if not, get the socks on ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->