Work Question, Can anyone help?

Mama1985

Mama to 2!!!
Reaction score
Hey!, well Im not sure if this belongs in here but i'll post it anyway, just let me know and i'll delete it.

Ok, I'll just start from the begining...

In august, I found out I had Punctate Inner Chiropothay (PIC, its blood vessels in the back of the eye that has burst and cause vision problems, its rare) and so they put me on steroids, in Sept, I found out I was pregnant, by then I was having lower back pain and so they realised it wasnt because of the steriods it was because of my pregnancy (and it didnt help that i was overweight)

Ok the work problem is, that I only get 12 weeks sick leave, and I only have 2 weeks left before the company stops paying me sick pay I have spoken to the midwifes and they said I can either soldier on, or quit work, but if I quit work, I wont get any benefits at all! and there is No Way we can live on my OH pay!!!!

On Fri 24th I have a scan, then Im seeing an Obstricion so I can ask for her advice, so if she agrees that I cant work then I'll probaly have to see the company doctor, and it'll be on his shoulders whether im fit for work or not, and if he thinks i am fit for work, i'll have to quit, but that mean I have no money!

What with trying to save for the wedding and save for the baby, i kinda need the money, and I dont feel comfortable working (my job requires me to be on my feet all day, and they cant guarentee that i;ll be sitting down all the time, and i might not get many shifts anyway, so my money will go down)

EURGHGHH

Im just, worried, I was in tears yesterday, and im trying not to stress about it cos it isnt good for me or the baby. any advice??

:hug:

Firstly, your company should do a risk assessment for you the minute you tell them you are pregnant. If you would be unable to carry on doing your job, they have to offer you something suitable, or send you home on full pay until your maternity pay kicks in. You do not have to quit your job - that would be classed as constructive dismissal.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm 95% sure. They'll be someone else on here who will be able to advise you better, but I didn't want to read and run.:hugs:

I found this online
" How long do I have to be off work before I get SSP?
You will qualify for SSP if you have been off work sick for four or more calendar days in a row, including weekends and Bank holidays. This is known as a Period of Incapacity for Work (PIW). After the qualifying days, SSP is payable for up to 28 weeks. Within the 28-week period, an employer can stop sick pay if you return to work, resign from your job or start maternity leave. Qualifying days should be stipulated in your employment contract."
But that may depend on how long you have been there.

I'd call citizens advice if I were you and ask them. They are usually quite good :)

Hi Mama1985, even if you have used all your company sick pay benefits you are still entitled to statutory sick pay for a little while so you wouldn't have just your OH income.
I've been signed off with a pregnancy related problem for the past 17 days & my company only pay sick pay for 7 days per year so for the other 10 days I'll only get SSP. It will make things hard financially but if the doctor thinks I'm not fit for work I don't want to take any chances with my little bean.
How far along are you? Could you start your maternity leave soon? You can finish the 11th week before the week of your EDD so that might help? Even SMP is more per week than SSP so you would be better off financially... :hugs:
Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

thanks for the help everyone!!!! I didnt know about the SSP but im still not sure how it works but i'll find out more about it

thanks again

Oh moo2 im about 11 weeks, almost 12 weeks

thanks for the help everyone!!!! I didnt know about the SSP but im still not sure how it works but i'll find out more about it

thanks again

Oh moo2 im about 11 weeks, almost 12 weeks

Oops, sorry... Typed without looking back at ticker! :blush:

Good look sweetie xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member