working out while pregnant

Mii

Reaction score
I know a lot of ladies here are dealing with morning sickness (not just in the morning) or might not find enough energy or might be paranoid (like me) to really work out before second tri but I thought I would make a thread because since I am approaching second tri and I am finally finished school im going to have a bit of free time on my hands with my son. I really want to start walking everyday.
With my son I was 120lbs prepregnancy and almost 190lbs post. I do NOT want to gain that much weight again especially since this time im 160lbs prepregnancy. It was hard and still is to deal with a post pregnancy body and I would love to have a thread were if there are any other moms first time, second or tenth who know where im coming from, we could help support each other n having healthy and being active during our pregnancies :) (sorry if this was worded awkwardly lol typing it on my phone haha)

I am having a hard time with the idea of weight gain so i'm in. I've been too tired to do much except go for walks. I was majorly into exercise before i got my bfp and it's killing me not being able to work out. I had JUST gotten to my goal weight after a 60 lb loss so i want to stay in shape during the pregnancy and hopefully bounce back quicker after.

I'm in as well. I actually have been putting off some serious weight loss regimen as I'm TTC, and kind of decided that it's "sorta" not worth it because I would get pregnant and big ANYWAYS, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Now after finding out that I am pregnant with my first, I will continue to do cycling (see my intro for any more info), until I'm really uncomfortable, more daily walks, and probably weight training for my arms and legs. I know there's no such thing as "spot" training, but at least I'll be toned. :winkwink:

After the baby is born, then I can start on my weight loss/tone body that I've wanted.

I have read everywhere that it's fine for pregnant women to workout as long as they know their limits. No extreme sports, no jumping, no contact sports, etc. Usually it's the symptoms that bothers mothers the most that reduces the workouts.

Hey this is a great thread idea! I'm in :)

I used to exercise up to a few days before I found out I am pregnant and I stopped because I felt too sluggish and it was hard to motivate myself to get on the treadmill. Since finding out I am pregnant, I didn't start again because I was afraid to do harm but forgot to ask if it was fine at my last maternity visit. I decided in the last few days to start walking on the treadmill again and doing some of the exercises I saw on Youtube for pregnant ladies. I think it's important to exercise because it helps you build up endurance for labour and have a healthier pregnancy in the meantime and probably more energy which I could SERIOUSLY use right now. Also for me exercise is extra important because I have liver issues and exercise helps.

Now, the trick is... finding the time, and finding the motivation. Soooo sleeepy all the time! Lol, and busy! But I know it's very important, so I'll work out how to find both.

Good luck to you guys! I think walking's a great idea :) It will also be summer here in NZ soon so I'll be swimming in the ocean again (though I dread the thought of being in a bathing suit... was a bit overweight before becoming pregnant and haven't really been careful with what I eat ever since lol)

:happydance: Let's do this!

I exercised every day last pregnancy. Walking , swimming, weight training, and cycling. I only gained 17 pounds. A week after birth I was 5 pounds over pre pregnant weight. Then I gained it all back and more. Was up like 25 pounds. I couldn't loose weight while breastfeeding. My milk supply would drop if I did. So I just started loosing it a month ago. Im like 6 pounds away from pre baby weight. But Im worried I will get huge since this is my second baby m

I'm in!

Before getting pregnant I was on a diet and got really into jogging on a morning; I had lost 1.5 stones before getting my BFP and only half a stone away from my target weight. Since then I've largely stopped my diet but I eat healthily and only when I am hungry and so far havent put any weight on but I'm only 6+2.

However I havent been going out jogging due to a fear that I might do some damage: jigging up and down! Sounds silly I know but it took so long for this BFP I just dont want to do anything to jeopardise that. So I have been trying to go out for walks.

This morning however I went for my first jog in about 2 weeks and it felt ok actually. My boobs hurt though! I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up due to feeling nauseous on a morning but we'll see!

I think its important to keep healthy and fit for labour and dealing with the extra weight but also for recovery afterwards.

This thread is a good idea, lets hope we can motivate each other! xxx

Hey Id like to join too! :)

Ive been very active in the past 2 years and managed to go from 145 to 127. now ive put some weight back on and Im about 139 lbs. I miss being active but Ive been scared to do anything too intense due to me having a miscarriage a few years ago. So ar so good though, no bleeding and I would also like to start doing some light exercise and perhaps pick it up in 2nd tri! this should be fun :) we can share tips and exercise ideas!

I need to build my endurance up this time but not lose weight. Hopefully I can!!

I'm in! I used to to teach dance and was super fit but I gave up in January to focus on decorating our house (we bought a project house) and also knowing I would be ttc I didn't want to be out teaching every night. I didn't gain much weight til I got my bfp and now I feel like I am gaining loads. I had a few bad weeks 6-10 where I literally couldn't do anything due to constant sickness but now I want to get back on track and at least start walking everyday! Lets help each other get motivated - especially as the weather turns colder and makes you want to stay in!

I'm with you! In fact, I 'm off to my body combat class in a bit! I kept that up til about 20 weeks pregnant last time and wanna keep it going as long as it's comfy this time round. As of last week, I've given up horse riding until after baby - I usually do jumping and it's just too high impact and with the risk of falling it'd be silly to continue. We also have a dog so I walk daily pretty much anyway. For me, I need to watch what I eat more...last time I was like 'I'm gonna put weight on anyway and I'm eating for 2' and it took me at least 6 months to slim right down. Annoyingly, before my bfp, I was probably at my best ever weight so this time I'm gonna try eat better and keep my weight gain minimal.

I think exercise while pregnant is ESSENTIAL. For me it is anyway...I have chronic anxiety in the best of times, but while pregnant I NEED to do something to manage my state of mind, otherwise it just gets the best of me. I am pretty tried and run-down feeling lately but I think that's because I haven't been eating enough since food has started to seem unappealing. No MS yet to speak of, so I'm working out while I can. I have been doing squats, lunges, push ups and other arm exercises, yoga and biking. Not all everyday but I do try to do a little of something each day, enough to break a sweat.

I'm in!

only gained 15 lbs last pregnancy so was 21 pounds below pre preg weight when lo was a few weeks old.....have gained that back tho ;-s

I have been going o the gym 4 to 5 days a week, just found out sat that I'm pg so will drop the yoga as its not prenatal, and continue as I am, maybe turn it down a notch and make sure I not get too hot.

xxx

so glad to see so many ladies determined to be healthy and active during their pregnancies! I would love to know some of your guys work out routines? I live in a rural area and I dont want to waste gas driving to a guy. I have a tredmil here and want to start taking my son on walks (I couldnt before because I was in school all day then it was dark by the time I was home or I had to work at night)
I want to do workouts for my arms but Im not sure what I should/shouldn't do?

Yes I'd like to join in!! I'm overweight to start with, and had been losing weight pre-pregnancy but my mw appt scared me a little the other day as with the PCOS as well as a BMI of 30, I'm at risk of developing gestational diabetes and if that happens then my homebirth is out of the question so I'm determined to do whatever is in my power to help myself and that means healthy eating & exercise, my mw told me about a free exercise class for pregnant ladies just round the corner to me that I can join after 12weeks so I'm definitely doing that nd I'm going to try and walk with hubby when we can. Just waiting for the MS to ease off as at the minute I think I'd pass out!

How do you get motivated in the winter? This morning was lovely and sunny although cold, but if I'd got up and seen rain there is no way I'd have gone out for a jog :/

I have a yoga DVD and some pilates DVDs which I'd like to do more often and I guess in first tri most of the exercises will be ok to do?

I know there are great pregnancy yoga dvds you can buy at walmart :)

Yes I'd like to join in!! I'm overweight to start with, and had been losing weight pre-pregnancy but my mw appt scared me a little the other day as with the PCOS as well as a BMI of 30, I'm at risk of developing gestational diabetes and if that happens then my homebirth is out of the question so I'm determined to do whatever is in my power to help myself and that means healthy eating & exercise, my mw told me about a free exercise class for pregnant ladies just round the corner to me that I can join after 12weeks so I'm definitely doing that nd I'm going to try and walk with hubby when we can. Just waiting for the MS to ease off as at the minute I think I'd pass out!

I had bmi of 30 last pregnancy and I walked everyday. I gained 17 pounds but didn't get gestational diabetes. Just to give you perspective. If you eat healthy and exercise you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->