Working tax credits while on maternity leave

Pearls18

Reaction score
We currently get tax credits, I think it is only the child care aspect because I’m pretty sure I’ve done a calculation before without childcare and we wouldn’t get anything- I wouldn’t describe us as low income, but I work part time and our nursery fees are fairly high. They currently pay for about 35% of the fees. When I go on maternity leave I am hoping to keep DS in nursery 2 days a week as he loves it and it’ll give me time with the baby alone too, but even with his 15 free hours that will still cost £211 a month, am I right in thinking that while on maternity leave I am still classed as ‘working’ so could I continue to claim tax credits (but informing them that I will only be paying for 2 days not 4) or is the fact I’m on maternity leave mean they won’t pay? (I will be going back to work). I’m not even sure if they would pay anything towards such a little amount (looked at the calculator) but not sure of how it works on maternity leave.

Im not too sure hun but if they dont could you maybe send lo for just the 15 hrs? I believe it may be changing a little from april so the calcukator will update. Give them a call to check thoigh. xx

Thanks hun, the 15 free hours only cover 38 weeks of the year and only for limited hours, so to carry on at his current private nursery I have to pay the wrap around care, a pre school doesn't really suit our needs.

Ah I see you couldnt just have lo.in there for the 15hrs pw while on maternity leave without losing the place? Our los will be in childcare which we will get help towards. I just worry about school hols and if ctc will help us pay for childcare during that time! Not for a couple of yrs yet but is deffo still a worry. Xx

2 separate issues I think.

Yes. You would get WTC while on maternity as you are classed as working.

You would also get child Tax credits (including the rate including your 2nd child when they arrive) on Maternity.

For the childcare, I'm really not sure. I don't claim the childcare element (hubby is a student so not entitled - claim through SLC instead). Probably best to speak to the nursery or to ring the tax credit hotline to ask them directly as I've always found their online resources to be very confusing indeed lol.

You are still classed as working while on Mat leave, you are also still entitled to the childcare element so should still be able to continue as you are. My DD was in nursery up to her school start date, I had to pay wrap around I rang up TC about childcare once on mat leave and was told to continue as I was previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->