Worried about how often epidural's seem to go wrong

Eleanor ace

Reaction score
This is my 2nd LO, I didn't have an epidural with DS and I'm not planning to get one this time but my midwife had a bit of a rant at me about being prepared in case I need one. I am totally fine with getting one if I need to for a c-section or forceps. Anyway I often have a read of the birth stories on here and I've so often read about women having epidurals which didn't work, or only numbed them on one side etc. I mentioned this to my midwife- I am scared that if I did need an emergency c-section I'd feel it which obviously doesn't appeal! She told me that it is super rare for an epidural not to work properly and that most of those stories will be people exaggerating because they are embarrassed to have got the epidural?! Which I really don't buy! But she was adamant and wouldn't give me any info on how often epidurals go wrong or the reasons why. Does anyone have any links? I want to be prepared if there is anything I can do to prevent it going wrong if I have to have one!

I don't think you can really prevent it from going wrong. I think it would depend on the skill of the anesthesiologist. But here is a link that explains why epidurals may not work: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2505163/

Mine worked but I didn't tolerate the pressure at all, so that's why I was still miserable during labor. They tested how well it was working at my hospital by putting ice on me in random places and asking me if I could feel the ice.

Mine didn't work.... Well my legs were numb, but above them, all the "parts" with the pain from the labor and contractions wasn't effected. Pretty much because of placement, should've been one space up. Anyhow, I believe if this is the case, you would get a spinal for the c section, not an epidural. I asked my husband the same ( he's a medical professional) what would've happened if her hr dropped and I needed an emergency c section?? He said they would take the epidural tube out and give me a spinal. ( I believe that is a one time injection Into a different place ( subdural not epidural) space.... Anyhow, try not to worry. Although I've heard of people's epidurals not being great, I have never heard of someone being operated on for a c section while having feeling. That shouldn't happen!

In my old area the maternity notes had a long and detailed consent form for an epidural which included explanation of all the risks, which made for pretty sobering reading in the cold light of day. In the case of c-section they give you a spinal, even an 'emergency' c-section it takes some time to prepare things. In cases I have known where mums who have needed a c-section have had the epidural it is usually starting to wear off by then anyway and so they are given a spinal anyway xx

Thanks ladies :). I hadn't even thought about them giving a spinal for c-section, I wish my MW had mentioned it when I told her my worries! I had a spinal for getting stitched up after having DS and it was fine, I could feel pressing but n pain at all :)

In the UK, I remember reports last year how doctors were told to discourage epidurals due to the cost to the NHS. So I think the risks are often super stressed. I am not saying they are good or bad, just take all aspects into consideration. (I've gave birth both ways, with and without). It should be completely up to you.

I had a similar fear. Since I'm a VBAC I'm worried that if I get the epidural. I worry that it won't work and I'll have to have a csection. From the things I've read, it says they might put you under general anesthesia since they worry about overdose and complications of mixing the two. But you reminded me to ask my midwife this question tomorrow at my appointment. So far right now, I'm planning without medication. However, you never know in the heat of the moment.

I had one with Sophie (because I was forced on my back for monitoring) and it worked very well.. So well I had to have an Emergency c-section! I've had my consultant appointment today (different hospital) and she said she really discourages an epidural. She said I'm best of just using a TENS machine and gas&air.

I want to avoid another epidural at all costs and glad that I'm being supported this time around.

It was a struggle for my epidural to be fully effective. I had to keep tilting over to one side to spread it around.

I know a lady who was very nearly paralyzed but that is incredible rare.

To me if I had to have a epidural for a csection I know that the risks of not having a csection are far higher then those of a epidural if it came down to getting baby out asap.

I am very anti epidural in normal labour after my experience but when it comes down to it I'd have another without question if baby was distressed.

It was a struggle for my epidural to be fully effective. I had to keep tilting over to one side to spread it around.

I know a lady who was very nearly paralyzed but that is incredible rare.

To me if I had to have a epidural for a csection I know that the risks of not having a csection are far higher then those of a epidural if it came down to getting baby out asap.

I am very anti epidural in normal labour after my experience but when it comes down to it I'd have another without question if baby was distressed.

This is how I feel, if it was just having an epidural for pain relief that's not a good enough reason (for me personally) but if it was needed for LO I would agree without hesitation.
My midwife is unfortunately very pro-epidural and seems to think I'm a bit of an idiot for not wanting one :(

Ignore her. That will be her personal opinion, she should know that epidural increase the risk of more intervention which mums need to avoid.

Midwives should be empowering women not scaring them.

Thank you. She is very different to other midwives I've seen, even my consultant (who is more inclined to want intervention, by his own admission) was happy when I said I'd like to labour without an epidural again. I found it hard enough to push DS out (he was quite big, in an awkward position and I was on my back for monitoring), if I had an epidural I'm sure I would have needed assistance.

My uncle told me the other day that a friend of his had an epidural andit had a rexverse effect.
It made her upper body numb!
I about vomitted

I really did not want an epidural. I ended up with a failed induction which resulted in an EMCS. I had to have an epidural in an emergency when I was not prepared and did not want it.

It worked fine. It worked perfectly. I didn't even feel pressure when they did the section. In fact, the entire terrifying emergency c-section went perfectly, Thank God.

I finally got to go through mybirth plan yesterday and I said I didnt want a epidual if I can help it and she gave me a piece of paper full of info about how it works, what for, pros and cons and well as possible problems and I am to sign and return it saying that I understand. It should be normal practice anywhere

I finally got to go through mybirth plan yesterday and I said I didnt want a epidual if I can help it and she gave me a piece of paper full of info about how it works, what for, pros and cons and well as possible problems and I am to sign and return it saying that I understand. It should be normal practice anywhere

Are you in the UK? I haven't had anything like that, I didn't with DS either. Hope its not an issue!

A midwife like all health professionals should give you non biased information. She should give the pros and Cons of an epidural and all other pain relief. She should support you in which ever way you choose to labour. I had emcs and until they took me onto theatre had no pain relief. I was cat 1 section but they still had time to pop a spinal block in which numbed me completely.

Just wanted to add a ray of positivity....I had an epidural and nothing went wrong. Yes my labour probably lasted longer than I would without but overall it was a far more positive experience than I expected.
The only side effect I had was an achy spine where the needle went it whenever i leaned backwards, for about 6 months afterwards.

Im im new zealand.
Not for pregnancy but my oh had a epidural for a huge op and it stayed I for almost 24 hours and he had no probs just one side was numb for a little longer.

I had zero problems with my epidural. I think if more things went bad then good, they wouldn't do them anymore. There are risks with everything, but I don't know anyone that had issues. It didn't make my labor longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->