• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worried I am not eligible for assistance on the NHS

hopes fading

Reaction score
Hi. We are seeing a FS for the second time shortly and I feel fairly certain we will be diagnosed with unexplained unfertility. I am worried because during my first appointment the doctor mentioned that we would be considered as 'secondary infertility' as we had a miscarriage (now 16 months ago) and therefore not entitled to assistance on the NHS. At the time I didn't really think too much about it, I just hoped that it wouldn't come to that but now it looks very likely that it will. Does anyone else have experience of this, is it true? I have to say it doesn't sound very fair to me; there is nothing to say that we will go on to conceive naturally and even if we do, a viable pregnancy may not follow. I hope I won't ofend anyone with my view point, all comments are welcome... X

I don't know if it differs in different places, but that certainly isn't true near me (Bristol) - we would have received NHS treatment regardless of previous miscarriage. Surely 'secondary infertility' implies you have had at least one full term pregnancy? Try and get a second opinion if ness - maybe your GP can help.

Good luck with everything
xx

sounds like complete rubbish to me, i have a 2 friends one had m/c's then ivf on the nhs, the other had ivf on the nhs but sadly miscarried then was offered another cycle on the nhs. I wasn't eligible as i have a child already so i think this is what the mean by secondary infertilty. Good luck with it all x

Thanks so much ladies and I will certainly query it if they say the same thing next time. I really do hope that it isn't a post code issue like so many things are these days! Will let you know... Congratulations to you both and Toptack; is this your first baby? X

Yep, it's baby number one :) We conceived naturally after 23 looong cycles of trying with a diagnosis of 'diminished ovarian reserve'. We were on the waiting list for NHS IVF when I became pregnant... the clinic agreed to keep me on the waiting list until I was out of the first tri, so that I would be able to get straight on with treatment if I had an early miscarriage.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some better news next time you speak to the FS - or ideally that you'll fall pregnant out of the blue like I did!

Lovely news Toptack; ladies like you give me the encouragement I need to keep going with this! I too hope that we get our BFP before intevention and I will let you know. When is your EDD? X

EDD is November 12. I had my anomaly scan last week... all's well and we were left in no doubt that its a boy - he sat on the scanner :)

When's your next appointment with FS? Keep me posted on how it goes - hope you're coping ok with everything.

EDD is November 12. I had my anomaly scan last week... all's well and we were left in no doubt that its a boy - he sat on the scanner :)

When's your next appointment with FS? Keep me posted on how it goes - hope you're coping ok with everything.

Haha - I think you have already learned something of your Sons character :happydance:

I hope you are enjoying your pregnancy, I am sure you are!

I had my HSG this morning and they didn't find anything. I am a little disappopinted; I'd been hoping there would be a sml blockage found and that the dye would move it and hey presto; on to BFP this cycle! Doesn't sound too likely now.

On a positive note, I am seeing FS on Monday. I am really hoping I will come away with some answers and more importantly, actions. Shall let you know. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->