• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worried they wont let me have a c-section?

pinkgem100

Baby #2
Reaction score
i had my DD in sept 2010 via emcs, long story short, after 27hours since my waters had broken and DD had had a poo (sigh of distress) i had only got to 4cm (i got to 4 cm after 4 hours the other 23 hrs i didnt dialate anymore :nope:). after i had had DD, one of the midwives commented that they new i was going to have to have a section a few hrs earlier as DD was back to back and would be to big for me, she was 8lb 8oz.

well been the midwives ever 2 weeks since 26 weeks to monitor weight as on fundal height chart baby is well above the big line.. and today he is estimated to weigh between 7lb 2oz and 7lb 10oz and still have 5+ weeks to go, so going to be much bigger than DD. When we mentioned Elective section to midwife today she basicly told me natural is better, and they will push me to have a natural delivery as it will be better for me and baby...

the thing is thouhg is that about 10 weeks ago i would have said natural but as the weeks have gone on and baby has got bigger, i have arranged for OH, mum and Nan to help out and planned for a sectoion as i am becoming worried that if i try and go natural i will end up with the whole panic of a emcs again and that was scary, i have got enough help for the first 6 weeks so have been planning.

what can i do if they tell me that i cant have a section!!!!

I thought there were guidelines in England that gave the mother the right to choose a section if she wanted one? I know here that if you had a section before you automatically get the option to have another section or try for a VBAC. I don't think it should be up to a midwife to "push" you to do anything at all...your body, your birth! Sometimes you really have to go to bat for yourself!

I was told by my midwife that its your choice once you have had one C-section previously whether it was emcs or elective so you should not be denied the choice of a scheduled C-section :D
I was accepted to have one and this is my first birth and there is no placenta previa or strong medical reason aside from mental health and mild pre eclampsia

i had my DD in sept 2010 via emcs, long story short, after 27hours since my waters had broken and DD had had a poo (sigh of distress) i had only got to 4cm (i got to 4 cm after 4 hours the other 23 hrs i didnt dialate anymore :nope:). after i had had DD, one of the midwives commented that they new i was going to have to have a section a few hrs earlier as DD was back to back and would be to big for me, she was 8lb 8oz.

well been the midwives ever 2 weeks since 26 weeks to monitor weight as on fundal height chart baby is well above the big line.. and today he is estimated to weigh between 7lb 2oz and 7lb 10oz and still have 5+ weeks to go, so going to be much bigger than DD. When we mentioned Elective section to midwife today she basicly told me natural is better, and they will push me to have a natural delivery as it will be better for me and baby...

the thing is thouhg is that about 10 weeks ago i would have said natural but as the weeks have gone on and baby has got bigger, i have arranged for OH, mum and Nan to help out and planned for a sectoion as i am becoming worried that if i try and go natural i will end up with the whole panic of a emcs again and that was scary, i have got enough help for the first 6 weeks so have been planning.

what can i do if they tell me that i cant have a section!!!!

I think once you've had one section you can choose what you want to do, but I think once youv've had 2 sections then they will want to section you due to concern of rupturing the scar. They can tell you to Vbac but I don't think they can make you. I had in mind a section all the way through this pregnancy ( advised off consultant, last baby was emcs @ over 10lb) then when i had an appt with his registrar she tried to push me into having a Vbac saying things were looking good and theres no reason i couldn't have it naturaly. Thers no way I'm going through that again it was horrendous, i ended up under GA after a long back to back labour to fully dilate and him not to come out. Anyway, I told her i'm having a section, she went to talk to consultant and its all booked. Stick to your guns!!!!! its not them that have to go through it, good luck x x

thanks ladies, my ususal midwife has retired and she had told me that the choice is purly mine and as i am classed as high risk then i could decide on what i wanted. When i was 16 weeks i went to see the cunsultant who had said yes i was high risk and the option would be mine, however at the time i was open to both an elective section or a vabc as i hadnt really thought about it. i then got a letter from the consultant put in my green notes saying that i would like a vabc and now they are trying to push for that!!

However as the weks have gone on and baby has become so big, i am worried that if i decide to go for the vabc, my DD will be passed from piller to post with childcare as it could happen at anytime and i could end up the the section anyway. where as if i go for a planned section, i can have childcare arranged for DD so i will be happy knowing that she isnt being passed about. OH, Mum and MIL have all said they will help in the 6 weeks after for my recovery so again DD will be looked after and will be all arranged so no stress. where as if i end up with another emcs i will be so worried about DD as she will only be 20 months and not know whats going on if she is being passed about so much!!

:cry::cry:

I was sure i wanted to have an elective section after a 36 hour labour and emergency section last time and at my first consultant appointment 2 weeks ago he said he had to give me all the info and recommend vbac but if when i came to see him again at 36 weeks i was sure i wanted section he would book me in then, but he did nebtion a couple of points that have set me thinking i may try for a vbac he said that as i would be monitored more closely and because of previous section i wouldnt be allowed to labour for more than 24 hours my big worry was that i would have to go through another long labour and end up with section so if im guaranteed to not have to go so long before they decide on a section i am a bit more inclined to try.
x

I was sure i wanted to have an elective section after a 36 hour labour and emergency section last time and at my first consultant appointment 2 weeks ago he said he had to give me all the info and recommend vbac but if when i came to see him again at 36 weeks i was sure i wanted section he would book me in then, but he did nebtion a couple of points that have set me thinking i may try for a vbac he said that as i would be monitored more closely and because of previous section i wouldnt be allowed to labour for more than 24 hours my big worry was that i would have to go through another long labour and end up with section so if im guaranteed to not have to go so long before they decide on a section i am a bit more inclined to try.
x

im worried about the long labour as with dd it was 27 hours then in hospital for 3 dayd after the section so in total was in for 4 days and if that happened again that would be 4 days of my DD not having me in the house. where as if i had a elective section it would be 3 days so 1 less day away from her..

i know thta i will have a long recovery after but OH is going to take 3 weeks off work,my mum is having a week off so thest 4 weeks covered and my mum only works 3 days a week (only 2 of them in the week when oh is at work) so MIL and my nan have both said the 2 days that my mum and oh are both at work they will take time off work to help out and OH works on flexi time and has done loads of overtime to build up his hours so that he can start late and finish early and help me with getting DD and new baby ready in the morning, more so i am not lifting dd out her cot!!

I do havbe it covered and everyone around me is being so helpful but if i go naturally all my plans are out the window as ppl wont know when to book holidays to help with DD..

my biggest concern is that DD is well looked after... xx

I really struggled to get my elective section after a previous emcs, but got there eventually. If you have a very good reason to have one, they should let you but you may need to fight for it. If it's what you want then don't give up chick xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->