Worst leg cramp of my life... How do I stop?

ahcigar1

Happy Mother of 1
Reaction score
I can't take this anymore. For the past month I have been woken up at least once every night with leg cramps. Even after having banana and large glass of orange juice and peanutbutter sandwhich right before bed i would still get them. Asked my doctor and she had no suggestions to give me. So asked my cousin since he is a doctor and he said to try drinking a glass of tonic water before bed every night, and to give him a call in a couple weeks if it doesn't help and he'll give me another suggestion or have the other doctor in his office take a look at me see if there is another underlying problem. It worked for a couple of nights then started kicking up again. But last night I had the worst cramp in my calf of my life. It was so bad I woke up screaming in pain and couldn't even straighten to stretch it out. My husband had to help me and he even had a fight with get it to stretch. This one was just crippling. After that I kept getting mini ones that kept me up all night. I tried eating 2 more bananas and another glass of the tonic but didn't help at all. I called my cousin first thing this morning, but haven't heard back from him yet, and was wondering if you ladies had any tricks that have worked for you that I could try? I can't have another one of these, never felt anything like it before.

i was about to suggest u drink tonic water but uve allready been drinking it i know how u feel hun i always get them when im expecting and the calf always hurts bad for the next few days

Sorry, dont have any advice for you :(

I get them too, didnt realise there were things you could do to try and stop them, so thanks for that :)

Thanks ladies. Was hoping someone would have a suggestion cause I can't deal with another one like I did last night. Hopefully my cousin gets back to me before bed tonight.

I'm sorry hun... I've had a few in my calf (middle of the night) and they are THE worst!!! Last one I woke up about to cry it hurt so bad and my hubby had to grab my foot and flex it up for me to help release the pain!!!! NO BUENO!!!!

I do notice (for me at least) they are worse if I haven't drank as much water that day-- but sounds like you are doing all you can, so I'm not sure what might help? I wish I had the answer hun.

This might be a long shot... but have you tried stretching out before bed? I don't know if that would help- but I did this for a few days after my last "charlie horse" and haven't had once since... BUT... I've only had a few anyway. Sorry I can't help more.

Best of luck :hugs:

Found this site... has some good info that may help???

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-nocturnal-leg-cramps.htm

I haven't tried stretching. Will give that a shot tonight. Thank you for the tip. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the site. WIll have to check it out when I get home. for some reason it is blocked here at work.

in had these with my 1st son ddnt with my daughter and nad a few this time too another boy, i lady i used to work with tlld me to put a cork under my sheet at the bottom lf the bed, and it actually worked. You could always give it a go.

I might sound really dumb but what is a cork?

Thanks for the site. WIll have to check it out when I get home. for some reason it is blocked here at work.

That's too bad it's blocked... it did mention the water thing as well... so I would maybe try drinking more, if you can! lol. I know I feel I drink a lot already!

Here is what it said (sorry, LOTS of info- lol):
Usually people associate leg cramps with the term "charley-horse," which are painful sensations of tightness and tension in the muscles of the leg. There are three primary areas where uncomfortable cramping may occur. These are the calf, the foot, and the thigh. Nocturnal leg cramps are muscle pains that occur during the night when a person is sleeping, causing sleep disturbances that may ultimately ruin a good night's sleep.

Although they may occur simultaneously with other sleep disorders, nocturnal leg cramps do not have a causal link to any known underlying medical disorders. They predominantly affect the elderly and pregnant women, two groups that tend to have relatively poor blood circulation in the limbs. Taking a step further back, nocturnal leg cramps are found in middle-aged and older populations, although they can afflict individuals of any age group.

A reason why a person may get nocturnal leg cramps is because he or she isn't drinking enough water. Water is important for transporting vitamins, minerals, and other substances throughout the body. Hydration is not the same when drinking caffeine or alcohol, since they are diuretics and end up dehydrating a person even further. Muscle needs hydration to function properly; without it cramping is more likely to occur. That is why athletes who do not replenish their water lost from sports and exercise end up with a charley-horse. Likewise, low water intake in an otherwise sedentary person can cause muscles twitches during sleep.

Another reason for nocturnal leg cramps is mineral deficiencies. Low levels of calcium, potassium, and magnesium are cited as causal factors of nocturnal leg cramps. While they can all be found in things we eat, some foods lose mineral levels when processed or refined. For example, nearly 85% of magnesium in grains is lost when finely milled.

Calcium deficiency is also responsible for muscle tremors and twitching at night and may lead to nocturnal leg cramps. However, milk and other dairy products do not make effective calcium replacement sources because of their phosphorus levels. A non-phosphorus containing calcium supplement is possibly the best alternative. Another mineral easily depleted is potassium, which is the most important mineral regarding muscle activity, serving as an electrolyte in the body and helping to balance body fluids. It also plays an essential role in muscle control and acts as a co-factor in muscle building.

To combat nocturnal leg cramps, there are several criteria to check. Make sure that your intake of calcium, potassium, and magnesium are at sufficient levels. Potassium-rich foods in your diet should include bananas, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, cantaloupe, and citrus fruits. Also, try to eliminate or reduce caffeine and sugar from your daily regimen. Check that you are properly hydrated by drinking up to the recommended eight glasses of water a day.

Finally, relieving any current discomfort with local massage, movement, or heat may help you avoid nocturnal leg cramps. For massage, rub the site of the tension in a circular rhythm to loosen the muscle tension beneath the skin. Stretch the calf muscles by holding your toes, pulling them up toward your knee and extending the leg straight out. This will exhaust the stretch reflex before you go to bed. If pain persists, apply a heat compress for about 10 minutes or take a warm bath or shower.

I got these cramps before being pregnant, feels like my calf muscle is a tennis ball. V.painful but when i get it i just rub my leg hard til the muscle relaxes. Sometimes for a few days after my calf feels like a pulled muscle. I was told this can be a sign of stress which i feel is true as i aksi grind my teeth while sleeping. I sometimes wake up as the cramp is coming on so i can manage to stop it. I think its one of those things which if you arent used to can be horrible! Xx

Thanks. Don't know if I can stand drinking more water already drinking about 10 large glasses everyday along with fresh squeezed juice and milk but will try anything at this point.

Sounds like your drinking enough water to me! Maybe try the stretching and massage before bed? Or heat to get the muscles to relax??? Can't hurt to try at this point!

Best of luck hun!

I got these cramps before being pregnant, feels like my calf muscle is a tennis ball. V.painful but when i get it i just rub my leg hard til the muscle relaxes. Sometimes for a few days after my calf feels like a pulled muscle. I was told this can be a sign of stress which i feel is true as i aksi grind my teeth while sleeping. I sometimes wake up as the cramp is coming on so i can manage to stop it. I think its one of those things which if you arent used to can be horrible! Xx

Oh I'm used to them cause would get them sometimes before pregnant too. But this one was beyond bad. Seriously have never had one like this before. Took my husband 5 min to get my leg to stretch out the muscle was that tight and fighting him so much. And just kept getting tighter and tighter as time went on. And I physically couldn't move was crippled so bad from the pain. And I always get them in this one leg, never my other one. Usually I am able to do the rubbing straighten my leg out or get up and walk a few steps on it and I don't get bothered again. I think tonight if I don't hear back from my cousin again I will try stretching before and putting a heat pad as I sleep.

Thanks for all the tips ladies. Will try all of them tonight to see if helps.

Oh I'm used to them cause would get them sometimes before pregnant too. But this one was beyond bad. Seriously have never had one like this before. Took my husband 5 min to get my leg to stretch out the muscle was that tight and fighting him so much. And just kept getting tighter and tighter as time went on. And I physically couldn't move was crippled so bad from the pain. And I always get them in this one leg, never my other one. Usually I am able to do the rubbing straighten my leg out or get up and walk a few steps on it and I don't get bothered again. I think tonight if I don't hear back from my cousin again I will try stretching before and putting a heat pad as I sleep.

Oh gosh cant imagine how bad they must be if they are worse as I used to find these a really bad pain but now used to them I just deal with it!! My nan always told me if you get cramp to just rub it!! The one time my leg was so dead I got out of bed and collapsed on the floor cause my leg just wasnt there :haha:

xx

ALL the US midwives say that for muscle cramps during pregnancy the BEST thing to do is start a Calcium/Magnesium supplement. A liquid based on is best, but they also sell them in tabs.

I get these really bad also, but the last few times i have been able to stop them.... Soon as i feel it start (even when asleep as it wakes me up straight away) i straighten my leg and point my toes towards my knees therefore pushing my heel as far away from my body as i can - i hope you can understand my description .

It has worked wonders for me, i had tried everything (including stretching and massage before bed) i hope this will give you some relief also :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->