Would it be odd and would it be allowed?

Mrs_Random

Reaction score
My friend is 30 weeks and been told she has breast cancer which is gutting.

I was thinking, as she's going to have a premie, she's been told by Dr's they are going to get baby out early and she should find out next week how early, would it be odd to offer her my breast milk for her baby?

I'm still BF my son, not quite 6 months old, so still have a good supply and She will have to start chemo as soon as baby is born, so thought it might be something I could do to help her LO.

How would you feel if a friend offered this?

I'm thinking I express for her to feed baby.

I think it sounds like a great idea. She will be offered donated EBM by the hospital depending on how early the baby is anyway so she may prefer to know where the milk is coming from. The hospital may not allow it though as donor milk has to be screened but it's worth asking about.

I think that is a fantastic idea i was going to donate my breast milk as i produced so much and my son only took a little,Unfortunately i didnt as i then found out about freezing it all but it's such a lovely thing for you to offer.
As pp said she would probably be offered donor milk any so if you could get your's screened by the local neo-natal breastfeeding adviser or she could point you in the right direction
I would have accepted breast milk from a kind enough mother to help my son thrive and if your friend accepts i think its a wonderful idea xx

I think it's a lovely idea to look in to. Xxx

I'd have been thrilled if a friend offered to do it for me if I couldn't express. Very thoughtful of you :hugs:

Oh this is a wonderful post to read. I would offer for sure.

When I had Adele, I had to supplement her for the first couple of weeks. One of my closest friends pumped her own milk for us until we reached the point when all Addy's feeds were from me. I can't even begin to describe how much my friend's milk was appreciated. It is absolutely the best thing anyone gave us since she was born.

Some hospitals can be weird about donor milk. Ours was fine though. Most of the nurses and midwives were really excited about it, actually. There aren't any milk banks in Auckland at the moment, so I don't think they'd seen many people feed their baby donated milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->